1/48 - Sukhoi Su-57 "Felon" by Zvezda - released

Homebee

Mine arrived this morning.

Just a couple of points. The fuselage halves are loose in the box - check the wingtips!

The clear parts are in a ziploc bag. The windscreen has picked up a small scratch.

Both areas are easily remedied but all that movement in transit could be avoided with some bubble wrap.

• Like 2

Mine arrived today, very nice at first look.  The following is just my first impression. I can't testify to how accurate the kit is bearing in mind that it's very new in service with the Russian Air and Space Force and a lot of details would be highly classified.

The surface of the upper fuselage half seems a little rough to the touch compared to the bottom and the rest of the sprues. The cockpit is very bare and seems to be designed for the Quinta Studio 3D printed set as it's flat with decals OOB. Three decal options , two are for pre-production aircraft and the third is for the first production aircraft. All use the same digital camouflage scheme with the first option using different colours but same pattern . Colours are listed from Tamiya . 

As I said, the cockpit is quite bare but the K-36 ejection seat is quite nice and there is a seated pilot figure as well as a boarding ladder . There is the option of building the kit inflight using a stand which the instructions mention as being available for purchase separately. These are listed in the instructions as version one and two respectively.

The fuselage is in top and bottom halves, there is an internal weapons bay for the carriage of  six R-77 (I think)air to air missiles which can be built open or closed and the bay is built up from thirteen parts. There is an ejection pin mark in the centre of the roof of the bay which shouldn't be too hard to remove . The parts are quite bare and would probably benefit from some additional detailing if constructed in the open position . The intakes are full length and made up of three parts including the compressor faces. There are no injection marks inside the intakes which is nice.

The main undercarriage bays are attached to the intakes before being added to the lower fuselage half. The nose gear bay is moulded into the lower fuselage half and is devoid of any internal detail. Main and nosewheels are split in half but quite simply moulded. The undercarriage legs are nicely moulded but again would probably benefit from the addition of some brake cables.

The engine nozzles can be built in either flight or parked (drooped) position. They're nicely moulded  and should look alright under paint.

There is a two part canopy which can be built open or closed.

The kit provides the option of external stores and the pylons to mount them on. There are

Two external tanks

Two R-77 (NATO AA-12)radar guided missiles

Two R-73 (NATO AA-11)IR guided missiles

Two Kh-31 (NATO AS-17) anti radiation missiles.

In conclusion  it looks like a nicely but simply moulded kit which would be the basis for super detailing from aftermarket sources which will probably provide replacements for the nozzles/wheels and cockpit in due course. I do know that Quinta Studio have a set out for the cockpit already and there are resin parts for wheels and nozzles which can be bought in conjunction with the kit from Russian sources listed in previous posts above. I would also imagine that a mask set for the camouflage scheme will arrive in due course.

For what the UK price is , £35-£40 I would say that it's quite good value but that's just my opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are a few "old" kits where the quality of the airframe moulding and the (lack of) quality of the cockpits really don't match up. The Academy 1/48th Su-27 Flanker comes to mind (superb panel-lines and overall shape.... cockpit that 1970's Heller would have a few issues with). 

Sometimes I wonder if the kit-designers spend so much time, research and effort on the larger parts of the mouldings, that things like the cockpit become a bit of an afterthought by comparison? Or do they just assume that dedicated modellers will throw a load of aftermarket at it, to solve the issues?

Chris. 

- I got mine saturday, the essential has been said, I had expected more of Zvezda compared to their recent productions like Th Mil 24 Hind or the Yak 130 . I want to point out the strange reproduction of the grills of the auxillary intakes on the side and underside of the main intakes by some strangely colored decals. The general moulding is simplified to a max, for instance, the weapon bays and doors for instance. However masking for the camo is avalable in ARMATA issued kits  with some other goodies 

- I know the molding is based on pre-series machines I think better may have been done owing to the quantities of photos available. Let's hope for some Eduard help........

• 1 month later...

I’ve recently bought this kit, I’m no expert on the type, but it looks nice in the box and I think it’ll be good enough for what I want, with an Eduard cockpit set added.

The only thing is, I don’t like the pixel camo. I would like to build the splinter camo version. There’s no option for that in the box. I reckon I can use ref from the web to figure the pattern out, but I can’t find the appropriate decals on line. There doesn’t seem to be any red stars with just an outline that I can find. Suitable blue numbers would be useful too.

Are there any options for decals for the splinter version that you guys know of please ? 
Might have to mod something from a begemot sheet...
Thanks a lot

Phil

On 2/13/2021 at 1:27 PM, tk1608 said:

I’ve recently bought this kit, I’m no expert on the type, but it looks nice in the box and I think it’ll be good enough for what I want, with an Eduard cockpit set added.

The only thing is, I don’t like the pixel camo. I would like to build the splinter camo version. There’s no option for that in the box. I reckon I can use ref from the web to figure the pattern out, but I can’t find the appropriate decals on line. There doesn’t seem to be any red stars with just an outline that I can find. Suitable blue numbers would be useful too.

Are there any options for decals for the splinter version that you guys know of please ? 
Might have to mod something from a begemot sheet...
Thanks a lot

Phil

I'd like to build the splinter scheme too, FYI the February 2021 Air Forces Monthly has a nice feature on the Su-57.

• Like 1

This reminds me of when the Revell 1/48 Eurofighter Typhoon was released - I was hoping for another Rafale quality kit, but was more than a little disappointed, to put it mildly.

Given the still increasing number of Flanker kits on the market, can we hope that something better is in the pipeline?

I managed to get one of the Arma-Models preorder Su-57 sets which just arrived. It contains the Zvezda 1/48 Su-57, Quinta Studios cockpit, resin, paint masks and rivet decals. In resin it has two nice examples of weapons (2 each), wheels and mudguard, seat, some figures of pilot and ground crew and Type 30 exhaust nozzles for the future engines to enter service. It has pixel masks for the new pixel top and bottom schemes plus the 053 Hunter UAV Okhotnik pixel silhouette camouflage, which might be the one I do. A bit vexing was that it was supposed to come with AL-41F-1 engines but they weren't in the box and getting much info about why they weren't has proven frustrating. Nonetheless, it's all nice well molded extras that will give some opportunities for other aircraft to be made.

ay6VJRX.jpgsR8up9K.jpgMiGWmXP.jpg

I also found these two etched sets by Microdesign which will really help all the omitted details such as the intake grills (supplied as weird decals) and cockpit info. They did come with 'Quinta Studios like' 3d cockpit decals but they are the wrong color and not as nice as the Quinta set supplied by Arma.  More than the Arma additions these sets make the Zvezda kit much more buildable to my liking. 

CdOpZQs.jpg

I also think I saw that Eduard are making some sets for the future. Hopefully Begemot will do a nice decal addition for all versions with all the unique paint schemes we've seen (some aircraft have had multiple repaints).

I've built the HpH PAK-FA T-50 and have been looking forward to a mainstream kit to build some more Felons.

• Like 7

On 2/15/2021 at 8:15 PM, paulsbrown said:

I managed to get one of the Arma-Models preorder Su-57 sets which just arrived.

Hello.   Please could you expand on the above post. So, I don’t know about this boxing. Who will be selling this Arma-model kit? And more importantly are you getting all of the above in this box. If so this kit will be top of my wish list. All of this really is the first I’ve seen.  😉

1 hour ago, amos brierley said:

Please could you expand on the above post.

Arma-Models is where I got the kit and the extras, it was a preorder special. It looks like you can still get the kit with the crew, weapons and future engine cans here.

The 2 photo etch sets are from here https://microdisign.ru/products/1-48  They were easy to do business with.

For me, the etch sets and the Quinta decals were the game changer, not so much the Arma accessories (which are very nice, made by a company called Seal Model Kit). What the kit badly needed was some under the canopy details and all the little external grills and intakes that are supplied as decals, both of which the Micro Design etch sets cover pretty well. 

There are a few companies out there with masking sets coming soon which look helpful for all the pixel camo versions and hopefully like the Hind there will be more things too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just announced from Seal Model Kit available at Arma-Models. I can't find if SMK have their own website.
But just what the doctor ordered! A resin cockpit.

https://arma-models.ru/catalog/smola/smk48011_kabina_dlya_su_57_dlya_firmy_zvezda/

• Thanks 1

Ye

13 hours ago, sinistervampire319 said:

Just announced from Seal Model Kit available at Arma-Models.

I have to say I'm not blown away with the simplistic buttons and piping on the rear.  I'm still looking for good rear views of the later pre production and production aircraft cockpits so who knows, it may be fairly accurate.

kO8mYYw.jpgSOdcZ3D.jpgwlKGJNq.jpgemUG9ZL.jpg

Here's the Seal seat. I think I'm going to build the kit seat with the Quinta Studios details to see how they compare

63wiFJY.jpgRuHtzLl.jpg

• Like 1