PAS Models 1:144 Antonov 74TK-300D Ukrainian Government

Malair

My next project is the Antonov 74TK-300D. Quite a special aircraft since only two of this variant were built: the two prototypes. One of which ended up in Iran and other is used as the presidential aircraft of Ukraine. The An-74TK-300D is a variant of the An-74, which is a further development of the An-72.

The most important characteristic of the An-72 are the engines, which are mounted half-way in the wings in order to obtain excellent STOL qualities (thanks to the Coandă effect). The nickname of the An-72, by the way, was Чебурашка (Cherboerashka) after the well-known Soviet film figure:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The An-74 is in fact an An-72, but then intended for use in arctic conditions. This later formed the basis for the An-74TK, which was intended for passengers instead of cargo. The -300 was a special variant of the An-74TK as it was originally intended for civil passenger transport, with the most striking feature being that this time the engines are suspended with pylons under wings as STOL was not necessary for the intended application. Potential customers, however, saw more in a clean sheet design, which ultimately resulted in the (not entirely successful) An-148. I made the An-148 four years ago, see also: https://modelbrouwers.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=46870.

The An-74TK-300D has not actually transported any paying passengers, but it does have a civil registration as it is used by the government of Ukraine (similar to our Dutch PH-GOV or its predecessor PH-KBX, of which it is forever a shame that it did not go to the Aviodrome). Anyway, as said only two An-74TK-300D aircraft were ever build, but still there is a kit, that of PAS models. I already had experience with PAS, since I once made a 757 from them. And indeed I was not disappointed by the An-74TK-300D as well, although the fit of the fuselage wasn’t too great.

Anyway the pictures (I’m aware that I used two different registrations on the model. That has since been corrected, but I didn’t feel like taking new pictures):

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And lastly a picture with it’s granddaughter (the An-148):

spacer.png

My next model will be the Authentic Airliners BAC1-11 in KLM colours.

Thanks for watching and see you next time.

• Like 14

Hi Martijn,

Another great model! Clean and crisp as we have come to expect from your models! Are they your own windscreen decals?

No sign of any of your difficulties with the fuselage.

Very unusual although not dissimilar to the RJ85 but with fewer and much bigger engines!

Interesting to compare the different undercarriage arrangement between this and the very similar AN148, I wonder why?

Looking forward to the KLM 1-11.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan

Another great model Martijn. It's rather strange to see what is really an An72/74 with underslung engines! Beautifully finished and weathered as always.

To answer Ian's point about the undercarriage, my understanding is that the An-72 was originally designed for STOL operation from rough and unpaved airports - sand, gravel, grass and even ice, which needed the robust eight-wheel main undercarriage.

Thanks for sharing and I'm looking forward to the KLM 1-11. Is it the -301 leased from British Eagle?

Dave G

• 1 month later...

I was sure I posted a thank you message, but I guess I didn't.

Thanks for the nice words guys, much appreciated as always.

On 26/09/2019 at 22:39, Skodadriver said:

I'm looking forward to the KLM 1-11. Is it the -301 leased from British Eagle?

Yep that's the one:

8208ba00fe65bdbf8f475b249ed46958.jpg

Painting is already done, so the decal fase is starting soon!

• Like 1