New Arma Hobby release: 1/72 Hurricane IIc!

Procopius

15 hours ago, king of men said:

I'd certainly be up for a Battle. The MPM one just didn't cut it for me; overengineered and the fit was pretty bad. 

And woefully inaccurate.

An Arma Battle to the standard of their Hurricane would be amazing. 

A Hawk 75 would be interesting, although the AZ kit ticked that box for me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

And woefully inaccurate.

Hi Dave,

Your mileage may vary but IMHO AZ Hawk 75A fuselage is hopelessly too narrow. Certainly no room for a Twin Waasp inside and rear fuselage remembering more like a flat fish than one of the Curtiss's masterpieces...

Cheers,

AaCee

7 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

And woefully inaccurate.

Detail inaccuracy is not a big point for me, but unbuildability certainly is. That MPM kit was just a mess as far as that goes. 

There are concave and convex rivets on the model -  just cut off the convex ones, paste upside down in place of the concave and voila. Over 3000 pcs. as they write in the blog 😀.  

Sorry for the off top.

Edited by Wojtek2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Wojtek2 said:

There are concave and convex rivets on the model -  just cut off the convex ones, paste upside down in place of the concave and voila. Over 3000 pcs. 

Humanity has long invented putty & sandpaper for modeller's!

But this easy way 😁....maybe best way use 3d printing for high-precision filling out concave rivets

and cutting laser

complex

laser_fB.jpg

for convex rivets?

😁😁😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2

On 10/11/2019 at 1:34 PM, Wojtek2 said:

Wow! A beautiful-looking kit!

Only a couple of things make me to wonder a bit:

- Is the wing tip shape really so "Spitfireish"? I'm away from my references and my picture search didn't give me certainty. What do John Thompson say?

- Rear fuselage fabric covering is really petite. I wish to see it painted before saying more about it but in contrast tail ribbing seems to be on a bit heavy side.

Welcome and certainly filling a big gap in models of the VVS.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the vote of confidence; no, the wing tip shape looks good to me. I'm hopeful that Arma will start next week shipping the kits that were pre-ordered a month ago, and then anyone who bought one (or more!) can have eyes on the actual product.

John

On 10/12/2019 at 10:54 PM, John Thompson said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence; no, the wing tip shape looks good to me. I'm hopeful that Arma will start next week shipping the kits that were pre-ordered a month ago, and then anyone who bought one (or more!) can have eyes on the actual product.

John

Hi John

You are welcome!

As one advertisement said: "Ask one, who owns one" I remembered your labour-intensive Jak-1 project and thought you have better knowledge than my "mental image" of the Yakovlev's shapes ;) 

And yes, I'm eagerly waiting delivery of the two with a single model price offer kits!

Cheers,

AaCee

IT'S A HURRICANE IIC! http://armahobbynews.pl/en/blog/2019/10/31/hurricane-mk-iic-1-72-scale-kit-announcement/?utm_source=implebot&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=hurricane2c&utm_term=hurricane2c-zapowiedz&utm_content=en

70035-render-001-1024x683.jpg

70035-render-016-1024x683.jpg

70035-render-010-300x200.jpg

70035-render-014-300x200.jpg

They say:

From the previous project of the Mk. I version  I took the shape of the fuselage (rear part), as well as wings and tailplane. However, all the rest is an entirely new project. While maintaining a similar division of kit parts as in the Mk. I, I have improved the new model in many aspects. Let’s see a list of project changes quickly:

• New propeller design, one-piece, easier assembly, with a simplified method of attachment to the fuselage. I kept “kinetic realism” in the form of a spinning propeller, of course.
  • A new connector section of the upper surface of the wings, imitating the pilot’s cabin floor.
  • Main landing gear bays enriched with rivets. In the review of the model Mk.I in KFS-Miniatures , the unnecessary use of the photoetched plate was rightly pointed out here since the same effect can be achieved in plastic.
  • Improved assembly of the undercarriage legs, now they can be glued after painting (in fact, it was possible before, but it required some extra effort)
  • A more extended engine cover, new fish-tail exhausts, a new carburettor inlet, a new (longer) tropical filter cover as well as two variants of cannon barrels are the requirements of the new version.
  • The new division into parts in the radiator housing. The radiator itself is here two-piece. Thanks to that we have more details and less risk of sinkholes
  • Redesigned cockpit interior. I hope that thanks to the changing division of parts, the assembly of the whole will be more comfortable.

•  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

On 10/7/2019 at 4:48 PM, Graham Boak said:

The world wasn't exactly desperately short of Hurricanes either, but by choosing a version not currently well made Arma managed to sell rather well (or so I believe).  

What's the old saying?  Build a better mousetrap (or Hurricane) and the world will beat its way to your door.  Well done, Arma: well deserved success.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Great news!  Trusting Arma will now really embarrass Airfix by showing how they could and should have done it.  Despite a stack of Revell IIcs and Sea Hurricane IIcs, I won't be able to resist a few of these.

To be fair to Airfix, the other Hurricane Mk.II kits on the market (I’m looking at you Revell, Hasegawa, Academy, Matchbox) are not without their own problems. I guess the best option up to now, if you want accuracy, has been the AZModels/Legato kit but this new Arma kit should be the best available by a country mile.

it actually wouldn’t shock me if one of the Airfix new tool announcements for 2020 was a Hurricane IIb/c/d/IV.

Edited by VMA131Marine

22 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

To be fair to Airfix, the other Hurricane Mk.II kits on the market (I’m looking at you Revell, Hasegawa, Academy, Matchbox) are not without their own problems. I guess the best option up to now, if you want accuracy, has been the AZModels/Legato kit but this new Arma kit should be the best available by a country mile.

it actually wouldn’t shock me if one of the Airfix new tool announcements for 2020 was a Hurricane IIb/c/d/IV.

You are too kind.  yes, there are flaws with the others, as you say, but they are all old or ageing kits.  To launch a new tooling that offered no advantage over said old and ageing kits (other than a nice transfer sheet) was an insult to the customer.  But let's rejoice in what's to come rather than lamenting the mistakes of the past.

51 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I hope that the text is in error.  There should not be a longer engine cowling, but a longer section between the canopy and the engine cowling.

Yes, it is just over-simplified in text. I will correct it later today. Thank you for pointing.

• Like 9

This rather took me by surprise but great news.  I was mightily impressed by the Mk1 and no doubt this kit will be as good or better.  I hope one of the options will be Karel Kuttlewasher's all black aircraft from 1 Squadron.  I've been wanting to build his aircraft for some time. 

P.S.  Superb artwork.

Edited by Meatbox8
Added a P.S.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Meatbox8 said:

This rather took me by surprise but great news.  I was mightily impressed by the Mk1 and no doubt this kit will be as good or better.  I hope one of the options will be Karel Kuttlewasher's all black aircraft from 1 Squadron.  I've been wanting to build his aircraft for some time. 

P.S.  Superb artwork.

Colour schemes are published with profiles in Arma Hobby store.

70035 Hawker Hurricane Mk IIc Expert Set

• Hurricane Mk IIc, BE500/LK-A, 87 Squadron RAF, Spring 1942. Pilot: S/Ldr Denis Smallwood.

• Hurricane Mk IIc, BE500/LK-A, 87 Squadron RAF, Operation Jubilee, Dieppe Raid, 19 August 1942. Pilot: S/Ldr Denis Smallwood.

• Hurricane Mk IIc, Z3899/JX-W, 1 Sqaudron RAF, November 1941.

• Hurricane Mk IIc trop, HV560/FT-Z, 43 Squadron RAF, Maison Blanche, Algieria, December, 1942. Pilot: S/Ldr Michael "Micky" Roo

70036 Hurricane Mk IIc Model Kit

• Hurricane Mk IIc, LF331/WC-G, “Target For Tonight", 309 Squadron PAF, Peterhead, Summer-Autumn 1944
  • Hurricane Mk IIc, Z3092/QO-T, 3 Squadron RAF, Hunsdon 1941-42

70037 Hurricane Mk IIc trop Model Kit!

• Hurricane Mk IIc trop, HL885/AX-Z, 1 Squadron SAAF, Lt. Stewart “Bomb” Finney, LG142,  Egypt, September1942.
  • Hurricane Mk IIc trop, LD726/Y, 113 Squadron RAF, pilot: F/O Graham Skallam, Burma 1944.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Having seen the Mk1 in the box I really fancy owning one of these. 

I hope someone can answer this question (and excuse me for being such an utter Hurrinoob): but if I'd wanted to build LF363 in BBMF service in the 1980s - would a standard MkIIc as in the Arma kit suffice?

Thanks, Jay