New Arma Hobby release: 1/72 Hurricane IIc!

Procopius

Say, Wojtek, did you figured out, what markings you going to supply with your "Expert Edition".

From, what I know, modelers in Poland are wee weed off with omitting "polish version", and doing it in "Plain Edition" just put more fuel into the cauldron.

I would call it a rather bad business decision. Think about your local market first, I would say.

Regards!

Zig

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, zigster said:

Say, Wojtek, did you figured out, what markings you going to supply with your "Expert Edition".

From, what I know, modelers in Poland are wee weed off with omitting "polish version", and doing it in "Plain Edition" just put more fuel into the cauldron.

I would call it a rather bad business decision. Think about your local market first, I would say.

Regards!

Zig

I am not sure if I understood well your whole comment, but it looks you were misinformed. Aeroplane on Hurricane Mk IIc Expert Set boxart was flown in combat by Polish pilot in British squadron, as well as was the aeroplane on Hurricane Mk I Expert Set boxart. Two modellers who did not know it complained on pwm forum, but it was already clarified by caughtinthemiddle. You would probably know that Polish squadrons 309 and 318 used Mk IIc for training only.

Here is scan from Polish Fighter Colours link. We use that book as primary source of well researched Polish markings.

polish-fighters-colours.jpg

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, zigster said:

309 & 318 were using that Hurri mark. Training, or whatever, Yet you choose to disregard those markings for the "full on" kit.

I would back Arma's decision to go with combat schemes in general rather than training. If you really wanted a 309 or 318 scheme for yourself I'm sure some generic decals would  enable you to do it. It looks like there are more Polish schemes in the "Model Kit" version. Maybe you could buy one of each!

• Like 5

These really do look great and if the Mk1 is anything to go by (one of the best 1/72 kits I've ever built) then these ae going to fly off the shelves.  I wonder whether Arma might consider  the Hawker Tempest as a future project. Just the marks II, V and VI though.  Wouldn't want to over do it.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

I wonder whether Arma might consider  the Hawker Tempest as a future project. Just the marks II, V and VI though.  Wouldn't want to over do it.

Good shout. Then Arma can, once again, get in there and show Airfix how it can be done.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

These really do look great and if the Mk1 is anything to go by (one of the best 1/72 kits I've ever built) then these ae going to fly off the shelves.  I wonder whether Arma might consider  the Hawker Tempest as a future project. Just the marks II, V and VI though.  Wouldn't want to over do it.

Good afternoon Meatbox

That would be a great Idea as I like Tempests but I understand that Armahobby prefers to work on aircraft flown by polish pilots and it would be more likely that we would see a Mustang Mk III rather than a Tempest in the near future ...

Patrice

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Meatbox

That would be a great Idea as I like Tempests but I understand that Armahobby prefers to work on aircraft flown by polish pilots and it would be more likely that we would see a Mustang Mk III rather than a Tempest in the near future ...

Patrice

Actually Polish pilots were flying on basically everything. Informations taken from http://www.samolotypolskie.pl:

Sgt Stanisław Domański, on16.06.1944 r. as a first Polish pilot shot down V-1, when flying Tempest” Mk.V nr JN752 JF-S with No. 3 squadron. Polish pilot also were serving in No. 56 and No. 286 squadrons. Polish engineer Władysław Fiszdon was involved in developing this aircraft. After war Polish pilots were flying on it when serving in Royal Pakistan Air Force.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

As far as I know there were some Polish pilots flying Tempests, so maybe...

10 hours ago, zigster said:

Wojtek!

That is what I was talking about. 309 & 318 were using that Hurri mark. Training, or whatever, Yet you choose to disregard those markings for the "full on" kit.

I wish you plenty of sells in the West.

It's one voice of a man. I prefer more interesting choices suggested by AH.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Botan said:

Actually Polish pilots were flying on basically everything. Informations taken from http://www.samolotypolskie.pl:

Sgt Stanisław Domański, on16.06.1944 r. as a first Polish pilot shot down V-1, when flying Tempest” Mk.V nr JN752 JF-S with No. 3 squadron. Polish pilot also were serving in No. 56 and No. 286 squadrons. Polish engineer Władysław Fiszdon was involved in developing this aircraft. After war Polish pilots were flying on it when serving in Royal Pakistan Air Force.

Good morning Botan

Thank you for that infos ..

All the best

Patrice

• Like 1

This looks like a very nice kit! Congrats 2 Arma!

Very good choice of cammo schemes: black, desert & green - grey.

Yet, the last one could be from 309, rather than repeat of LK O A

And in 309 it was NOT for a training. From April 44, to Sep 44 they were (fully operational) tasked with a defense of eastern Scotland.

They did not have very high opinion of their mount though (clapped & crapped). From Sep 44, full on fighter boys with Mustang III.

Sure thing, I (or whoever) can source extra decals, or buy "plain kit" just for those, but why should I. Look at Eduard releases, they do take care of their local market.

Anyhow, I'm happy with appearance of this model. RIP old Heller + Airfix rebox.

@Botan: Please do not leave out S/L Janusz Zurakowski, who was rather famous for test flying in Avro Canada CF-105 Arrow (" I can do the tail sliding, but not you") ??

Regards

Zig

7 hours ago, zigster said:

And in 309 it was NOT for a training. From April 44, to Sep 44 they were (fully operational) tasked with a defense of eastern Scotland.

They did not have very high opinion of their mount though (clapped & crapped). From Sep 44, full on fighter boys with Mustang III.

With 309 it was more complicated. This unit was, in early 1944, a fighter-reconnaissance squadron trained for direct support of the 1st Polish Armoured Division. After short period with Hurricanes Mk IV it was equipped with factory new Mk IIc. This time both squadron flights, A and B were split to different airfields. It made training even more difficult. Yes, they perfomed patrol duties in Scotland, as did many RAF squadrons sent for recovery after active duty period. But unit was never considered as ready for offensive operations. After a few months of PAF effort to get better mount (Mustang II, Mosquito, Spit FR XIV or at last Typhoon) and start real combat training, it was realized that squadron will never be operational Fighter Recon unit. So in September a new comander S/Ldr Antoni Głowacki was assigned. He prepared 309 to regular fighter duties by moving some pilots to other units and bringing in a group of experienced fighter pilots from other PAF squadrons. On October 1944 squadron received Mustang III aeroplanes and continued training. They shot down several Me-262 in Spring 1945 but it is another story.

• Recommended reading: Robert Gretzyngier, "309 Dywizjon czasowo (!) na Hurricane", published in Gapa No. 13, Feb 2015.

LK-A is in our opinion far more combat involved aeroplane than WC-G. Also it represents an interesting camouflage and markings change during service. Somebody may like other options, thats OK. But please do not blame us that we do not care.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Kit decals are completely irrelevant for anything except obscure types or obscure scales

I tend to agree, but it must be said that Arma's decals are excellent, better than many aftermarket options (and for me personally, they generally do a great job of picking interesting subjects that I'd want to do). 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wojtek Bulhak said:

Recommended reading: Robert Gretzyngier, "309 Dywizjon czasowo (!) na Hurricane", published in Gapa No. 13, Feb 2015.

It is in Polish, but Gapa #13 contents well written Hurricane in 309 story: number of good photos of Hurricane IV and IIc, a few profiles, list of serials and fuselage codes and some document scans and trascriptions. I really enjoyed reading this text.

It is available here: https://lotniczyantykwariat.istore.pl/pl/13-gapa-lotniczy-magazyn-historyczny.html

http://www.gretza.pl/kontakt.html

Also you find there a story of drunken Josef Fratnisek fight with policemen during BOB; Story of navigator from 305 Squadron (Mosquito FB VI SM-C) and other aviation interest (PZL P.7a, "ex-Polish" Hawks - Cutiss H-75 - in Finland.).

Highly recommended especially when you read in Polish.

• Thanks 1

On 29/11/2019 at 11:42, Wojtek Bulhak said:

Here is scan from Polish Fighter Colours link. We use that book as primary source of well researched Polish markings.

polish-fighters-colours.jpg

Hi Wojtek

the 87 Sq planes were overall night, and the painted into the Night Intruder scheme,  

please note that the Ducimus guide states that the uppers were Dark Green and Medium Sea Grey ,  which was the intruder scheme, see last paragraph and images from the that below, 

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20&%20Marks_Pa and 

and below we have a larger shot of LK-R, as well as LK-A and LK-?

The light nature of the paler upper surface colour is clear, as it the crude, brushed on nature of the finish, even cutting into the yellow ring on the roundel

Hurricane-IIa-RAF-87Sqn-LKA-Ian-Gleed-BE

Hurricane-IIc-RAF-87Sqn-LK-Question-Nigh

Hurricane-IIc-RAF-87Sqn-LKR-Night-Duty-Z

the demarcation of the camouflages line at the rear is also of not

Hurricane-IIc-RAF-87Sqn-LKR-Night-Duty-Z

the wing demarcation is of note, as is the chipped back to brass on the leading edge sheathing on the prop blades.

HTH

T

• Like 3

15 hours ago, zigster said:

This looks like a very nice kit! Congrats 2 Arma!

Very good choice of cammo schemes: black, desert & green - grey.

Yet, the last one could be from 309, rather than repeat of LK O A

Sure thing, I (or whoever) can source extra decals, or buy "plain kit" just for those, but why should I. Look at Eduard releases, they do take care of their local market.

Anyhow, I'm happy with appearance of this model. RIP old Heller + Airfix rebox.

@Botan: Please do not leave out S/L Janusz Zurakowski, who was rather famous for test flying in Avro Canada CF-105 Arrow (" I can do the tail sliding, but not you") ??

Regards

Zig

And I'm wondering why mr. zigster (as one and  only man in this forum) care so much about polish market. Especially that he is from Sydney (Australia), so the local polish market is very far away.... 8-) And his posts are very close to that written in polish forum by one and only man as here. And this one and only man comments in the same way at Arma Hobby blog. 8-)  Is that a coincidence ?  I'm starting to doubt....  And for the last, but not least... why Arma Hobby should give polish markings in all their models? Why is it expected? Did they sign a cirograph?  8-)  Do Tamiya, Hasegawa, Heller, Revell and other companies give markings from their countries to all their models? No! They don't. Why Arma should?
And one more...  polish modelers market is very small.... and the ''company'' isn't a hobby, it is business.

• Like 1