What if IV...The "Spur"

30 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Well this looks interesting. Always up for a bit of a kitbash.

Hornet definitely, yet I would err towards the He219 canopy. The 410 has those odd clear panels on the rear sides.

Then again, the 219 canopy flattens out towards the rear. Maybe two canopies sawn in half?

The other Aircraft, Invader wings and a Japanese fuselage?

I have a cunning plan for the flat panels and the 'turret' 😁

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Well this looks interesting. Always up for a bit of a kitbash.

Hornet definitely, yet I would err towards the He219 canopy. The 410 has those odd clear panels on the rear sides.

Then again, the 219 canopy flattens out towards the rear. Maybe two canopies sawn in half?

The other Aircraft, Invader wings and a Japanese fuselage?

Might go with the text description for the 'enemy' aircraft....quite different...but I do quite like the look of the comic book type!

Very unusual wing planform - pre war Heinkel He 70/111 type curved leading edge and whilst I was typing this you have beaten me to it Trevor, I was going to say a 219 with the wings "reversed". Does that make us "Great Minds" or "Fools" I wonder as we seem to be thinking alike?

Pete

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I read the original Biggles book as a youth I remember that the aircraft is described as a slightly enlarged Mosquito.

With a little research I came up with the DH 99/101 which is absolutely plausible.

The Spur in this comic book got me to think of a DH Hornet with the cockpit of a Gloster Meteor T.7...

However, the body of the meteor must be larger than the Hornet so it will probably not fit. Apart from that, a larger Mosquito (DH 99/101) should be much bigger than the Hornet.  

To sum up my discussion here would end up into a Hornet in a larger scale... 1/48 together with a Meteor 1/72 cockpit???

It's just one thing that I don't like. And that is the very modern straight angeled fin which I think is too modern for this aircraft, contructed during the war and saw it's light in 1945.

Edited by Matave

On 26/10/2019 at 20:41, PeterB said:

Very unusual wing planform - pre war Heinkel He 70/111 type curved leading edge and whilst I was typing this you have beaten me to it Trevor, I was going to say a 219 with the wings "reversed". Does that make us "Great Minds" or "Fools" I wonder as we seem to be thinking alike?

Pete

Hmmm, just so happen to have a Revell 219 lurking around....🤔

On 05/11/2019 at 20:55, Matave said:

When I read the original Biggles book as a youth I remember that the aircraft is described as a slightly enlarged Mosquito.

With a little research I came up with the DH 99/101 which is absolutely plausible.

The Spur in this comic book got me to think of a DH Hornet with the cockpit of a Gloster Meteor T.7...

However, the body of the meteor must be larger than the Hornet so it will probably not fit. Apart from that, a larger Mosquito (DH 99/101) should be much bigger than the Hornet.  

To sum up my discussion here would end up into a Hornet in a larger scale... 1/48 together with a Meteor 1/72 cockpit???

It's just one thing that I don't like. And that is the very modern straight angeled fin which I think is too modern for this aircraft, contructed during the war and saw it's light in 1945.

I haven't found any reference to the Spur being larger than a Mossie yet. They do fly with a Mossie in the book though and I'll be using the illustrated book as the major guide to the model (s?)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Just a friendly reminder that we’ve reached the mid point in the group build. 

Cheers, yep, work keeps rearing it's ugly but necessary head at the moment involving trips halfway across country every couple of days and copious amounts of paperwork in between...but the driving time gives me ideas!

All bits collected (I think) and ready to start....just need to decide a colour though 🤔

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DalekCheese said:

Light grey base, then a humbrol ‘duck egg’ blue, then some fairly heavy chipping IMO...

Hmmm, with white panels halfway along the fuselage?....No, stop it..😆 but seriously,  similar to some thoughts I had with a silver base and a pale blue/silver-grey...haven't tried the hairspray method yet for chipping!

Then again silver dope and aluminium underwings was another thought!

I keep resisting the urge to paint it white with a longitudinal red stripe edged in blue....

I was thinking a combination of Hornet windscreen and perhaps some combination from part of the sliding hood and that of a Mustang with a plunge-molded joining section will do the job for you :shrug:

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Col. said:

I was thinking a combination of Hornet windscreen and perhaps some combination from part of the sliding hood and that of a Mustang with a plunge-molded joining section will do the job for you :shrug:

Yes, I was thinking of varying combinations. The screen isn't far out, might have a go at plunge moulding the aft section...don't have any mustang canopies...how sad am I? 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Worms said:

Yes, I was thinking of varying combinations. The screen isn't far out, might have a go at plunge moulding the aft section...don't have any mustang canopies...how sad am I? 😁

There is spare canopies in the new Airfix kit so some of us may be able to help you there ;) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DalekCheese said:

I don’t know about the sizes, but would a Stuka cockpit work? Longer and thinner, plus a gunner at the back.

That from a JU87D is closest but still a bit clunky. I may have the option of using a combination of Arado AR96 and a piece of the aft section of a FW190 "blown canopy" but, I'm going to have a bash at making a plunge moulded one first!

thanks for all of the suggestions so far guys!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, unfortunately I failed dismally in this one...I was making progress and January came along...more paperwork than I could shake a stick at and my three planned builds still aren't finished...but I got further on my destroyer than planned... oh well, thanks for the encouragement anyway. C-, must try harder!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1