What if IV...The "Spur"

Harking back to exciting books of my youth when everything smelt of mothballs, boiled cabbage, linseed oil, leather and polystyrene cement I had a cunning plan....

Major James Bigglesworth, retired after the Second World War was invited to start a group of flying Police...Hence, Sergeant Bigglesworth CID...

He flew a fast two seat prototype fighter aircraft, The Spur!

x3reQ0.jpg

Hmmm, I wonder what I could use to make one of those 🤔

• Like 10

39 minutes ago, Worms said:

Hmmm, I wonder what I could use to make one of those 🤔

Never got these on this side of the Pond. As for your question it sure looks like a Dh Hornet ? This looks to be a fun build getting to make a childhood hero’s aircraft.

Dennis 

Edit: hmm seems we crossed in posting ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Worms.

A Hornet - what a surprise! The stretched 2 seat cockpit and canopy could be fun - good luck.

Pete

Yes, I have yet another cunning plan for the canopy...apparently this mythical machine also had a gun turret, but associated within the main canopy....methinks some German engineering features may crop up here...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

I’ll tag along too please. That two seat canopy makes the design look rather elegant.

You probably know this but G-AGZZ is actually a Tiger Moth!

Trevor

Very elegant,  a fine coincidence on the registration...another one of Sir Geoffrey's finest!

Hi Worms,

Oddly enough, having just built the 410 in the Frog GB, the thought had crossed my mind I take it you have a canopy?

Pete

Edited by PeterB

17 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Worms,

Oddly enough, having just built the 410 in the Frog GB, the thought had crossed my mind I take it you have a canopy?

Pete

Er no!....I've been looking for cheap kits or a vac-form canopy for a sensible price  😁

I would offer you the "reclaimed" one from my original Frog 410, but it is not very clear and is horrendously thick. Falcon do a couple, and I believe Squadron have a smaller set including the 410 for a more reasonable price. Not entirely sure the undercut rear end will look right, but maybe you are intending to cut that off to make a turret? If so an alternative might be the He219 - both are in the same Squadron set I believe.

Pete

• Like 1

On 30/09/2019 at 11:19, PeterB said:

I would offer you the "reclaimed" one from my original Frog 410, but it is not very clear and is horrendously thick. Falcon do a couple, and I believe Squadron have a smaller set including the 410 for a more reasonable price. Not entirely sure the undercut rear end will look right, but maybe you are intending to cut that off to make a turret? If so an alternative might be the He219 - both are in the same Squadron set I believe.

Pete

Falcon set ordered, it has ME 210 and 410 canopies!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

The tail flash is rather ‘Indian’ in its colours and dimensions?

Trevor

Well I believe they were flying in tropical areas but, until I receive the pilot's log and the various anecdotal reports and supporting data I wouldn't like to commit myself....the British registration tends to  hint at poor quality or old photographs giving a bias to the colours though 😉

3 hours ago, Worms said:

Technical data has arrived! 😉

EC8tWn.jpg

Essential bed time reading.

The other twin engined type on the cover looks interesting. Any, er, references on it??!

Trevor

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Essential bed time reading.

The other twin engined type on the cover looks interesting. Any, er, references on it??!

Trevor

Well, the aircraft looks really interesting in the comic book but the description in the text of the original is very different....let's see how much time I end up with! 🤔

• Like 1

Well this looks interesting. Always up for a bit of a kitbash.

Hornet definitely, yet I would err towards the He219 canopy. The 410 has those odd clear panels on the rear sides.

Then again, the 219 canopy flattens out towards the rear. Maybe two canopies sawn in half?

The other Aircraft, Invader wings and a Japanese fuselage?

• Like 1