B-25J Strafer, `Lienke`, RNEIAAF, Batchelor Field, Australia,

russ c

Howdy Everyone,

Just finished my attempt at building my second Dutch B-25 Strafer from Monogram`s 1/48 B-25J kit

C0XXBA7.jpg

Finished in the markings of `Lienke` of the ML-KNIL/RNIEAAF, No 18 Squadron, Based at Batchelor Field, Australia, 1944-45......

6l3dKOo.jpg

... to complement my earlier B-25C I built a little while ago.

whKfxsS.jpg

Incorporated a few modification to the kit, the main one being that Dutch `J`s only had two nose guns as opposed to the four guns fitted to US examples.......

lHiiqGz.jpg

......to make room for a bomb sight I believe. The only other mod`s were the position of the nose venturii, seat armour and an extra aerial.

58vVFwx.jpg

Added ignition harness, brake pipes and aerial wires.

qESkPyg.jpg

Decals are a mix of: Dutch Decals sheet DD48056, Flevo Decals sheet FV48002 and the kits

v6Zwrm4.jpg

Noticed from photo`s these were very weathered with lots of areas where the previous owners markings were painted out

AGyA2wV.jpg

This was Lt Hagers second `Lienke` the first was a B-25D.

Hope you enjoy the pic`s, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 50
  • Thanks 1

I love it Russ!  Great work on a Monogram classic, given a lot of TLC by a gifted builder. :clap2:  The B-25 has long held a place in my heart; one that was owned by a wealthy businessman in our county, H.H. Coffield, was parked at the Cameron airport for several years when I was a kid. His pilot, an ex-Luftwafe flyer, flew it into Cameron and for some reason, he was soon out of the picture and Coffield had to wait until someone else could pilot it out. 

I have that Monogram kit in my stash and have a "wild-eyed" plan to build it along with the Monogram B-26 and AMT A-20 simultaneously, in a sort of assembly-line process.  Do you have any advice or suggestions regarding any pitfalls or problems to avoid with this kit Russ?   Cheers, Gary. 🍻

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gary Brantley said:

I love it Russ!  Great work on a Monogram classic, given a lot of TLC by a gifted builder. :clap2:  The B-25 has long held a place in my heart; one that was owned by a wealthy businessman in our county, H.H. Coffield, was parked at the Cameron airport for several years when I was a kid. His pilot, an ex-Luftwafe flyer, flew it into Cameron and for some reason, he was soon out of the picture and Coffield had to wait until someone else could pilot it out. 

I have that Monogram kit in my stash and have a "wild-eyed" plan to build it along with the Monogram B-26 and AMT A-20 simultaneously, in a sort of assembly-line process.  Do you have any advice or suggestions regarding any pitfalls or problems to avoid with this kit Russ?   Cheers, Gary. 🍻

Thanks Gary,  re: the kit, there`s no real pitfalls that I can think of, bit of filling and sanding here and there.

Cheers Russ

• Like 1

That’s just beautiful in every way Russ. The story of these Dutch pilots is truly amazing when you consider that both their European homeland and Far East colony had been overrun by the enemy. Assembling in Australia, they formed a formidable squadron and fought the entire war with some crewmen not knowing their families plight until well after the war.

As always, wonderfully built, painted, dramatised and photographed. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Russ... this is a truly beautiful work with realism and markings that reflect an overlooked era. Postwar Pacific. I really like the subtle changes in olive drab which denote overspray of US markings. Bravo!! 

Edited by 28ZComeback
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Russ... this is a truly beautiful work with realism and markings that reflect an overlooked era. Postwar Pacific. I really like the subtle changes in olive drab which denote overspray of US markings. Bravo!! 

Thanks DJ, 

It is actually a wartime B-25, the Dutch Netherlands East Indies Army Air Force actually flew  missions from Australia during WW2, see Dave`s ( Rabbit Leaders ) post above. They flew similar missions to the US Strafers, skip bombing shipping, attacking Ports and anchorages etc.

23 hours ago, Johnny_K said:

That's a really nice paint job and a great looking build. I just started building the strafer with the solid nose. 

Thanks Johnny, 

You don`t see many of those these days, look forward to seeing it done

Cheers Russ

Hallo Russ,

A beautiful Mitchell and in Dutch colours ! Was it not restored recently ?

Thank you for showing this old warhorse  👍.

Reminded me of my old  Dutch B-25. I made mine a straferversion with asolid nose, that plane flew on a later date in the Dutch Indies.

I will show it in a new topic, also for some inspiration for Johnny K. :-)

With kind greetings,

JohnHaa

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, JohnHaa said:

Hallo Russ,

A beautiful Mitchell and in Dutch colours ! Was it not restored recently ?

Thank you for showing this old warhorse  👍.

Reminded me of my old  Dutch B-25. I made mine a straferversion with asolid nose, that plane flew on a later date in the Dutch Indies.

I will show it in a new topic, also for some inspiration for Johnny K. 🙂

With kind greetings,

JohnHaa

Thanks Johnny,

I don`t know if it was recently restored, I`ll have to look it up

Cheers Russ