Qatar 787 in 1/144

Scotsman07

I am currently working on a Revell 787-8 kit in 1/144which will be displayed in the Qatar Airways livery. I like the kit, I tend to find that the larger Revell kits go together really well and they are easier to work with than the smaller variants in 1/144 Scale. I had to make the antennas as they aren’t supplied in the kit, and I think with more practice I can make the missing ‘bumps’ on the upper fuselage.  I think I am becoming a big fan of the Zvezda brand of kits, the only thing that would improve them overall is the kit decals having more detail. 

I am going to attempt some Authentic Airliner decals for the first time with this build and hope it will add to the ‘realness’ of the model. It is fully built now, and will start with the main decals soon and wait for the windows and cockpit decals to arrive to complete the model.

I built the base board myself using an old piece of cardboard, to help display the larger models as my smaller one would look out of place with the 787 on it, and I plan on building an A350 and B773 soon too. My daughter was quite upset that the people couldn’t get on to the plane so I had to make her an Airbridge to enable them to get on and off... the things we do for children 😂. My photos show her arriving on stand and then with the Airbridge attached.

Qatar 787

Qatar 787

Qatar 787

Qatar 787

Qatar 787

Will post more photos as the model progresses and the finished product in RFI once done 👍🏻.

Regards,

Alistair

Edited by Scotsman07
  • Like 8

Here are a few more photos as I have been cracking on with the Main decals whilst I wait for the photo real AA decals to arrive which are on order... I have a few more decals to add to the fuselage including the Registrations, Arabic writing and the ‘Dreamliner’ stencil that I will apply once I have the windows in situ to help me get the alignment right. Hopefully it’ll look good once it’s completed...

Qatar 787

Qatar 787

Qatar 787

Qatar 787

Thank you again for looking and as always any feedback and comments are welcomed...

Regards,

Alistair

Edited by Scotsman07
  • Like 7

Just now, Andwil said:

Looking good, the Qatar livery certainly is very handsome.

AW

Definitely I think it is simple yet elegant, and like the contrast of colours together. Looking forward to getting it finished... my first time using AA photo real decals so fingers crossed it goes ok 😂🤞🏻.

Regards,

Alistair

10 hours ago, Scotsman07 said:

my first time using AA photo real decals so fingers crossed it goes ok

Hi Alistair,

I've found they work best of you use very warm, almost hot, water. If you do they seem to snuggle down and the carrier almost disappears.

The build is looking good, I particularly like the highlighting you've done on the wings it really adds depth and life to them.

Not long to RFI!

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Alistair,

I've found they work best of you use very warm, almost hot, water. If you do they seem to snuggle down and the carrier almost disappears.

The build is looking good, I particularly like the highlighting you've done on the wings it really adds depth and life to them.

Not long to RFI!

Cheers,

Ian

Thank you for the tip Ian, will definitely bear that in mind when it comes round to applying them 👍🏻. Thank you for the compliment about the wings, I have tried to ‘bring them to life’ as best as I can as looking at lots of photos the wings always have ‘character’.

I’m looking forward to posting it in RFI, and seeing how the AA decals look to help bring more realism to the model.

Kind regards,

Alistair

My AA decals arrived this morning, so I might crack on at making a start on them after work this evening and hopefully have her fully ready for RFI in a few days or so.

Regards,

Alistair

Edited by Scotsman07

Looking good Alistair.

Qatar's livery is definitely one of the more classy current schemes. Their B787s used to be a regular sight at EDI until the A350s took over earlier this year.

Out of interest what grey did you use? It looks an excellent match.

Dave G

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

Looking good Alistair.

Qatar's livery is definitely one of the more classy current schemes. Their B787s used to be a regular sight at EDI until the A350s took over earlier this year.

Out of interest what grey did you use? It looks an excellent match.

Dave G

Thank you Dave, yeah I agree with that. It was seeing one at EDI back in May 2017 that encouraged me to build one, the pilots waved at my then 2 year old daughter and it made her day. 

Qatar 787 EDI

Qatar 787 EDI

My AA decals turned up this morning, out of curiosity there are 3 lines of windows. Do I select the bottom ones of each row and apply them? 

AA Decals

Should hopefully be in RFI in a few days... my Egyptair and Etihad are also nearly ready too. Could possibly be 3 in a short period haha.

The grey I used was a mix of Revell Light grey 76 and 371. It’s a colour on the real thing that looks very different under certain lighting conditions... so I mixed these together to get a colour that I was most happy with, it might not be the perfect shade but I like it. 

Regards,

Alistair

Boomshanka - any mention of a civic / boeing build and I'm on it - great to see another Dreamliner on the bench on the forum - I love the real things and consider them such a beautifully designed aircraft compared to the A350. The Zvezda kit is a delight to build and you have a superb model in the making there and a nice choice of livery too.

I'm building a Zvezda 777-31H in Emirates colours at the moment (another commission) - Zvezda really produce a cracking model that goes together without any pains compared to the older Revell civil kits. I'm looking forward to seeing this completed

Good luck - I love the apron too!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gimme Shelter said:

Boomshanka - any mention of a civic / boeing build and I'm on it - great to see another Dreamliner on the bench on the forum - I love the real things and consider them such a beautifully designed aircraft compared to the A350. The Zvezda kit is a delight to build and you have a superb model in the making there and a nice choice of livery too.

I'm building a Zvezda 777-31H in Emirates colours at the moment (another commission) - Zvezda really produce a cracking model that goes together without any pains compared to the older Revell civil kits. I'm looking forward to seeing this completed

Good luck - I love the apron too!

Thank you 😃. I must admit I am liking building the larger models at the minute, and love the B787. I do really like the Dreamliner, it’s a lovely looking aircraft and the wing flex is incredible. I’d quite like to build one of these in British Airways colours. I might build a B787-9 soon in Air Canada’s new scheme. I also am quite tempted to build a 773 in something simple like Air France or Swiss but that might change haha. 

I am looking forward to seeing your Emirates 773 when you post it 😃

Regards,

Alistair

8 hours ago, Scotsman07 said:

My AA decals turned up this morning, out of curiosity there are 3 lines of windows. Do I select the bottom ones of each row and apply them? 

Hi Alistair,

There are one set of windows with frames, one without and one set of frames for clear windows.

It's difficult to tell but I think the bottom row has frames and the top row doesn't. Not sure if Qatar 787's have silver frames or not.

I recommend you work on one side at a time and keep looking down the length of the window line to make sure they are straight.

Good luck! I find it is the best part of the build as it's when it all comes alive!

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Alistair,

There are one set of windows with frames, one without and one set of frames for clear windows.

It's difficult to tell but I think the bottom row has frames and the top row doesn't. Not sure if Qatar 787's have silver frames or not.

I recommend you work on one side at a time and keep looking down the length of the window line to make sure they are straight.

Good luck! I find it is the best part of the build as it's when it all comes alive!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian, having looked at lots of phots of the Qatar 787 it does look like they have silver frames, so that was the option o went with. I agree with getting the line straight, I think I managed to. Having the cheat line is a good guide as well. 

I have finished the windows etc now, and just need to add the final coats of gloss and then it’s all finished for RFI. I’m really liking how it’s looking and looking forward to sharing the final result with the forum. 

Kind regards,

Alistair

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:05 PM, Scotsman07 said:

Thank you 😃. I must admit I am liking building the larger models at the minute, and love the B787. I do really like the Dreamliner, it’s a lovely looking aircraft and the wing flex is incredible. I’d quite like to build one of these in British Airways colours. I might build a B787-9 soon in Air Canada’s new scheme. I also am quite tempted to build a 773 in something simple like Air France or Swiss but that might change haha. 

I am looking forward to seeing your Emirates 773 when you post it 😃

Regards,

Alistair

Hi Alistair - I'll be sure to post the Emirates big footed Trippler once ready. For the meanwhile when referencing back to your desire to have a crack at a BA Dreamie, and in true Blue Peter style, here's one I made earlier ! At the time, of assembly I lost the paint guide and made a fatal error in wing / tailfin colour selection though 😡

DSCF8078

DSCF8080

DSCF8086

• Like 2