P-51B rear shutter question

Rakovica

Hi to all!

I have a 1/72 scale P-51B on the workbench and planning to it as a camouflaged machine from the 52nd FG based in Italy.

Now here is my problem, I hope that mister Peter aka Airscale won't mind that I borrowed a photo from his great ''Lope's Hope'' thread to better explain the thing:

WIP795_zps6df228qz.jpg

Long story short, how exactly should I paint the area around and inside the rear shutter? Remember, it will be a camouflaged P-51B.

On a silver aircraft it would be easy I believe, to leave everything in natural metal, but here I have a dilemma. I expressed my opinion on the photo but I'm not 100% sure. 

Any help please? :)

Edited by Rakovica

The sloped part (covered by the exit door) should be NMF like the whole inside of the radiator housing; any part visible from outside like the horizontal (rear) pane would be camouflaged.

Early P-51s - no matter if camouflaged or not - were released to be manufactured in NMF interior without zinc chromate primer, except for stringers and connecting parts.

A more complete description of the principles can be found here:

Follow John Terrell's comments starting on page 22. They cover not only the D-model.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2