Yet another Lancaster, a B.II

11 hours ago, dogsbody said:

As I mentioned in Post # 12, some folks have removed the completed undercarriage from the ends of the spars, then added those to the wings. After the fuselage and wings are built, the wings are slid over the spar ends and then glued to the fuselage.

Chris

That's the way I approached mine, much easier aproach

• Like 1

Not filling those panel seams?  There should be a clear difference between the gaps for moving surfaces and the (much narrower if any) gaps between panels.  However if you mean the holes and want a transparency, try Krystal Klear or any one of a number of (not VC glue honest) alternatives.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

Oh bugger! Working on the wing seams I realised my error

48992983292_900024ba86_b.jpg

Any ideas?

Mine's clear parts fell back into the wing... Lesson leaned, don't use PVA on clear parts that might need a strong bond.

Krystal Klear (fancy PVA) should have you covered

• Thanks 1

Oh bugger! Working on the wing seams I realised my error

48992983292_900024ba86_b.jpg

Any ideas?

I have a couple of possibilities: split the wing leading edge joint and fiddle the kit parts in through the gap using a pair of fine or long-nosed tweezers then reassemble and make good the leading edge; cut the kit lamps from their backing/support piece, fettle them to fit and install them from the outside or make up a couple of replacements from clear sheet and install them from outside as above.  Or what Adam just said.😉

Edited by stever219
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Mine's clear parts fell back into the wing... Lesson leaned, don't use PVA on clear parts that might need a strong bond.

Krystal Klear (fancy PVA) should have you covered

I was thinking of Klear, then wondered how I was going to silver them on the inside to represent the landing lights.

31 minutes ago, stever219 said:

I have a couple of possibilities: split the wing leading edge joint and fiddle the kit parts in through the gap using a pair of fine or long-nosed tweezers then reassemble and make good the leading edge; cut the kit lamps from their backing/support piece, fettle them to fit and install them from the outside or make up a couple of replacements from clear sheet and install them from outside as above.  Or what Adam just said.😉

Wing is definitely sealed up (and now sanded) so I think the option of cutting the lenses and inserting them from the outside will have to be done.

Thanks for the suggestions

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Not filling those panel seams?  There should be a clear difference between the gaps for moving surfaces and the (much narrower if any) gaps between panels.  However if you mean the holes and want a transparency, try Krystal Klear or any one of a number of (not VC glue honest) alternatives.

Not sure I can be bothered fill and rescribe panel lines in this scale, but I do plan to use Mr Surface on the kit before painting, hopefully that will fill some of the panel lines and then I’ll open up the control surface lines.

2 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Could pack milliput in, shape or rightish, paint it silver and then Klear over the top

Like it. That could work nicely. 👍

8 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

Any ideas?

What about plugging the holes with lengths of clear sprue, heated and stretched out to the right diameter if necessary  (and perhaps best preceded by a sliver of plasticard for the rectangular element so you can file out a true circle for the plug), then sand them down to match the surface of the wing and finally polish back to clarity? You could paint the 'underside' of the plugs silver to represent the lights' internals before installing them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With great apologies for the slow build (I’ve been away with work for a week) I have now had a chance to sand down all the Mr Surfacer. I love the way that stuff works, sands and leaves a lovely smooth finish.  I think I’m almost happy with the fuselage seams, but probably won’t be for sure until I can get some primer on.

49087453697_e14ccdcc6f_b.jpg

Engines now also starting to go on

49087238756_755e298bf9_b.jpg

More progress tomorrow hopefully.  Good news (for me) is the move of the squadron this is being built for, is a bit behind schedule, so I may have a bit more time.

• Like 5

Bugger. Just noticed some sink marks on the engines, how did I miss them???? Typically, after they are attached to the wings which is going to make it that bit more difficult to fix 🤬

49091927931_c44c04db68_b.jpg

In a situation like this, I would use a drop or two of Mr Surfacer 1000 and a thin strip of 600 grit sandpaper, followed a light buffing with my Tamiya ( or whatever you've got ) fine grit sanding stick.

Chris

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Learstang said:

Good save! I'll look out for that when I get back to my B.II.

Regards,

Jason

Jason

watch out for all of the engines, they all had sink marks to varying degrees.  #2 engine was the worst on mine, and #3 the best, but all needed a bit of work and so much easier to rectify before they are mounted on the wing.

Thank you for the heads-up! I shall definitely be on the lookout for these. Sink marks are no big deal to me, especially when they're not in an out-of-the-way place, and these aren't. By the way, nice work on your B.II! I plan on doing mine as a Canadian-crewed example with the ventral turret. To me that's the ultimate B.II.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Please, please tell me that you're going to over-paint those bright, coppery exhaust collectors!

24279949427_3e754f56fb_o.jpg

Chris

What a great set of photos, thank you for those 👍

Yes, they will be toned down &/or weathered. I was just playing with some colours as an experiment.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...