Yet another Lancaster, a B.II

Some further progress tonight as I managed to get the fuselage all sealed up. 

48900088707_1a919f95c8_b.jpg

Unfortunately, the alignment pins and holes on each side of the fuselage don’t appear to line up very well, something I seem to remember happening on the last Airfix Lancaster I built,

48899356483_a1f529aa43_b.jpg

so it’s going to need some filler and wet’n’dry before we go much further 😕

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

Some of the major assemblies coming together. Anyone got any pictures of the wheel wells, ideally showing the colour of the oil/hydraulic (?) tanks that go on the forward bulkhead wall?

Painted mine red - the ones on the BBMF Lancaster are dark green, but I think that the detail of this photo borrowed from the Wingnut Wings website (IWM original) shows that the tank is red:

DUpTSeo.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks great so far, I'd like to see a version of this kit (the bii) in Airfix's lineup for next year. I built a biii a while ago, and not all that well. I would like to do another at some point. The bii really appeals to me as something just different and I feel the more common variants to be modelled such as the dambusters biii special are a bit overdone.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Looks great so far, I'd like to see a version of this kit (the bii) in Airfix's lineup for next year. I built a biii a while ago, and not all that well. I would like to do another at some point. The bii really appeals to me as something just different and I feel the more common variants to be modelled such as the dambusters biii special are a bit overdone.

Seconded: although only 301 BIIs were built (I believe the second prototype wasn’t completed, but I stand to be erected) they served with a considerable number of units, the COs of some of which were wont to allow interesting nose art.  

In terms of Merlin-engined versions the ASR. III and GR. III could do with a bit more representation (complete with airborne lifeboat of course), as could B. I (Special) and B. III (Special) fitted for Tallboy and Grand Slam.  Whilst it would be great to see a B. VII or B. X that would require new fuselage halves, rudders and a new dorsal turret at least, both having a Martin turret located further forward than the standard Fraser Nash turret of other variants.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 4:13 PM, limeypilot said:

Re the picture frame, I'd suggest just equalising the gap top and bottom. If you add fake grass to the gap it will look really tacky!

Ian

Thanks @limeypilot I tend to agree, and the grass would be squashed flat if I leave the Perspex in place. Might just spray some more tarmac along the gap to fill it in and make it less stark.

Tonight’s progress has seen lots of application of filler and superglue to fill the fuselage seams, followed by lots of wet’n’dry action. Still not convinced it’s done yet 😕 

48911153757_4388eb50d4_b.jpg

I have to say that I am impressed by the fit of the wings to the fuselage though. Neither is going to require any filler on the top surfaces.

48910944396_9fd9589139_b.jpg

The underside doesn’t look too bad either. I was considering adding some fuel tank walls, but realised I haven’t got any sheets of plasticard with me, and this is only 1/72.

48911154292_c83fd8e96f_b.jpg

• Like 9

Looks pretty good, I have one of these in Que so I'm watching with great interest :popcorn:  I'm not sure about the British built ones, but our MK.X has black inside the flaps, the interior green doesn't star to passed the hinges

:cheers:

Edited by nsmekanik
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Would really wish they would mold those upper hatches as separate parts, maybe as part of the clear sprue.

Completely agree. I was tempted just to sand them flat and add some new hatches in card. If I could find some good pictures of them from the outside I might still be tempted - but only for as long as there is no paint applied!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

Tonight’s progress has seen lots of application of filler and superglue to fill the fuselage seams, followed by lots of wet’n’dry action. Still not convinced it’s done yet 😕 

48911153757_4388eb50d4_b.jpg

I have to say that I am impressed by the fit of the wings to the fuselage though. Neither is going to require any filler on the top surfaces.

48910944396_9fd9589139_b.jpg

The underside doesn’t look too bad either. I was considering adding some fuel tank walls, but realised I haven’t got any sheets of plasticard with me, and this is only 1/72.

48911154292_c83fd8e96f_b.jpg

Looks better than my build of one...

Will you be modelling the bomb bay open or closed?

12 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

. . . and post ~33 shows that the main tanks were Green in colour . . . . 

2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Will you be modelling the bomb bay open or closed?

Not sure yet. The aircraft I’m building was shot down at night on its way home, so thought about doing it doors closed (not least because it would save lots of fiddly bits in the bomb bay).  But then as I want to give this to the squadron on a display board, I suppose it really should be as it was on the night before the raid, so probably bombed up, doors open.  Time will be the deciding factor I think.

1 hour ago, Mancunian airman said:

. . . and post ~33 shows that the main tanks were Green in colour . . . . 

Looking at those pics, there’s plenty of choice of colour. The inner wing structure seems to be much more zinc chromate yellow, with the tanks more of a grey green as opposed to interior green.  Or are they the same thing?  🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

Unfortunately it's one of those things that one does not think to take a picture of, but here are a few from the net, no idea where I got them. It would appear that some forward hatches were entirely glazed, and others had the round center glazing.

Lancint lancaster_of_50_sqn Jpeg22

And a BII

lancasterbII

IMG_6204

And some razor sharp trailing edges

IMG_6208

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having followed a few other Lanc builds, I’ve decided to follow some other builds and put the main undercarriage in ahead of the nacelles and lower wing sections.  Why do I think I may regret that, the main gear is a little flimsy and I think it’s going to get knocked about during the rest of the build!!

48976747127_bccbe7a3bb_b.jpg

48976564916_9823363eda_b.jpg

• Like 2

As I mentioned in Post # 12, some folks have removed the completed undercarriage from the ends of the spars, then added those to the wings. After the fuselage and wings are built, the wings are slid over the spar ends and then glued to the fuselage.

Chris

• Thanks 1