Yet another Lancaster, a B.II

It is with a little trepidation that I start yet another Lancaster topic in here, not least because I’m rubbish at meeting deadlines (usually in BM group builds) and because there are some really good examples in here of lovely Lancasters. 

The reason for this one is because I have foolishly offered to build a Lanc for an RAF squadron, to celebrate their move into a newly refurbished building which will be named after a former member of the squadron with a quite remarkable story.  My plan is to build the aircraft in question, but more of that later.  The Squadron hopes to move in sometime in November, so I’ve got about 6 weeks to try and do this!! No pressure 😳

Before I start I should say a big thank you to @Alpha Delta 210, who kindly agreed to sell me his Airfix B.II after I missed out on a couple on E-bay. Thanks L 👍🏻

To kick off, a few pictures of the kit and some extra bits corralled so far just to set the scene.

48795532241_9ee68c7429_b.jpg

48795175098_05069c78cd_b.jpg

48795175178_76d7eef27d_b.jpg

48795175013_f82e73e557_b.jpg

Oo’er! That’s a lot of bits!!

More to follow....

• Like 18

Looking good! Now, I know others who have built Merlin versions of this kit have built up the undercarriage bit at the ends of the spars, then cut off the completed sections from the spars. The undercart bits are then added to the bays in the wings This apparently makes it easier to assemble the wings, which can then be slid over the spars whe the time comes.

Chris

• Like 2

Good start Roland.  If you’ve not built one of these before be very wary of the tight tolerances in the slots in the fuselage sides through which the spars pass.  Even without paint the spars are a very tight fit and any attempt to force them through can result in the spars bending or breaking at the slots where the undercarriage bay side walls attach.  Opening the slots very slightly with a flat file worked for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, go away for the weekend and I drop onto page 3, great news though as it suggests there’s a lot of modelling going on out there 👍🏻

So a little progress on my Lanc, basically lots of black spray painting in preparation for a bit of building! 

48822426258_2985713707_b.jpg

48822787841_3ae23c2f09_b.jpg

and a bit of cheating on a potential display base

48822880722_7aa75f2a3d_b.jpg

One picture frame and a printed base, only problem being the small gap, as the picture frame is a little bigger than the printed base. May need to buy some grass to fill to the edge.

• Like 4

A little more progress on the cockpit area. I need to speed up if I’m going to meet my deadline!!

48834022451_89092b55f8_b.jpg
On 9/28/2019 at 7:29 PM, stever219 said:

Good start Roland.  If you’ve not built one of these before be very wary of the tight tolerances in the slots in the fuselage sides through which the spars pass.  Even without paint the spars are a very tight fit and any attempt to force them through can result in the spars bending or breaking at the slots where the undercarriage bay side walls attach.  Opening the slots very slightly with a flat file worked for me.

Thank you Steve, I see what you mean and almost broke the ends of one of the spars doing a test fit 😱

• Like 5

After a weekend away at a family birthday event, a little progress on my Lanc. Pilot’s seat and controls installed. I think that might need a few extras adding, like the trim wheel and some map bins.

48861709002_7873594693_b.jpg

Nav, Radio Op and Eng’s stations added.

48867223991_1b0fd9eacf_b.jpg

Sadly away for a few days from tonight, so no progress likely until next week.

• Like 8

On 9/26/2019 at 7:04 AM, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Better on the bench, than in the wardrobe!!

As the actress said to the bishop!  

Looking good so far, Airfix have certainly come a long way since the 70's. Now to get their ridiculous panel lines sorted!

Re the picture frame, I'd suggest just equalising the gap top and bottom. If you add fake grass to the gap it will look really tacky!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1