BUCCANNEER ANTI SHIP MISSILES

Juan R-S

I read that the German Navy was interested in purchasing Buccanneers to augment their F-104g's until the arrival of Tornados.

However, the deal fell through.  I was wondering if the Buccanneers would have been able to lug a couple Kormoran anti ship missiles or would have settled for the Martells or Sea Eagles.  Looks to me like a potential what-if with a Buccanneer in German livery. Good way to use my Matchbox kit.

• Like 1

It would certainly have been able to carry them, I'm assuming the Kormoran is similar in size to the Sea Eagle. The Bucc was capable of carrying four Sea Eagles.

Muzz

3 minutes ago, Timbo88 said:

The Matchbox Buccaneer is a fairly basic kit and will need suitable pylons fabricated or obtained from elsewhere.

The last incarnation of the previous Airfix Bucc tool came with lots of extra pylons:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-a04049-hawker-siddeley-buccaneer-s2b-s2d-smk50--128727

It's worth a post in the Wanted section.

Cheers,

Andre

I do have the Airfix Buccaneer. Has plenty of goodies I can use on the Matchbox kit when the time comes for assembly. My original intent was to use some of the Airfix kit's pylons and sea eagles.  That is until I read about the Germans being interested in using them prior to receipt of the Tornados.  Then I saw  a pic of a Tornado IDS lugging a couple of Kormorans ...and voila!!! The idea came up. The Matchbox kit came with fuel tanks and NO pylons or any other weaponry. The what-if intent is to keep it simple. No work inside the cockpit. Probably wheels up. Just a "fun project". We'll see what happens next.  Thanks all for your comments.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hook said:

C'mon, you know you want to do her in Norm 76 with splashes of Orange Dayglo. ;)

Cheers,

Andre

Would an MW-1 fit under the belly of a Bucc?  There's a Whif/Sci-Fi themed Group Build just getting underway....

spacer.png

7 hours ago, CT7567 said:

Would an MW-1 fit under the belly of a Bucc?  There's a Whif/Sci-Fi themed Group Build just getting underway....

spacer.png

No, the Bucc had a rotating bomb bay and the dispenser would not fit in.

Selwyn

4 hours ago, Selwyn said:

No, the Bucc had a rotating bomb bay and the dispenser would not fit in.

Selwyn

I'm aware of the internal bay and rotating door, was wondering if there would be sufficient ground clearance underneath (assuming the non-bulged door, and an external mounting that obviously did not exist in reality).

2 minutes ago, CT7567 said:

I'm aware of the internal bay and rotating door, was wondering if there would be sufficient ground clearance underneath (assuming the non-bulged door, and an external mounting that obviously did not exist in reality).

Probably not. It was a tight fit under a Tornado which had more room  between the airframe  and the floor than a Bucc .

Selwyn