1/72 FROG Avro Shackleton MR 3

adey m

Great story and really good to see the contemporary photos. I finally finished my FROG Phase 3 Shack this year, still a good kit (once the rivets have been sanded down a bit). Can't wait to see the new Revell Mk. 3.

Here's a picture of mine. Completed as the aircraft on show at the Newark Air Museum.

resized_5bf70121-beef-4206-bd65-acaaf74e

Cheers Ian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Radar said:

Great story and really good to see the contemporary photos. I finally finished my FROG Phase 3 Shack this year, still a good kit (once the rivets have been sanded down a bit). Can't wait to see the new Revell Mk. 3.

Here's a picture of mine. Completed as the aircraft on show at the Newark Air Museum.

resized_5bf70121-beef-4206-bd65-acaaf74e

Cheers Ian

That is a beautiful and neat Shackleton Ian, and it looks like you haven't missed anything. I always fancied having a Phase 3 with the outboard Viper jets.

regards, adey

Great nostalgia blast!  Amazing you managed to get the decals to settle down over the rivets.  Nice nose cannon as well - scratch built?  My early teenage one is long gone but I finished a second one (de-riveted!) a few years ago as an AEW2 with the Aeroclub conversion set.

• Thanks 1

Every time I look at your builds, and the descriptions of them, I think I should turn the loft space and boards that are up there (from a long abandoned model railway project) into some kind of 'museum' type display piece.

Great looking Shackleton (never built one), rivets and all!

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Wow, that's what I call a Legacy Model! One that has lasted through the years and clearly shows the love and care put into it.

Incidentally, when you got this kit on Christmas '73, I was 7 months old...😜

Ah, but you missed the wonderful 1960s ................ and you weren't old enough to wear flared trousers and high shoes

On 01/10/2019 at 09:42, bryanm said:

Great nostalgia blast!  Amazing you managed to get the decals to settle down over the rivets.  Nice nose cannon as well - scratch built?  My early teenage one is long gone but I finished a second one (de-riveted!) a few years ago as an AEW2 with the Aeroclub conversion set.

Hi Bryan, the rivets were definately a problem, but I got round them by hand painting the letters and numbers on the fuselage and some on the wings.

The nose cannon are scratchbuilt and were a challenge to get to look scale. Interestingly, FROG originally did intend for the kit to have nose cannon, the pivot mountings for them are moulded in the nose ( you can see them in my drawing ) but they were cancelled due to budget limitations.

regards, adey

Edited by adey m

I love this! A model with a story.

You may inspire me to refurbish the Matchbox Stranraer I built in 1993 and still have in a box at my Mum's...  One thing can be said for Matchbox panel lines, they survive the application of multiple paint coats!

• Haha 1