This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

adey m

1/72 FROG Avro Shackleton MR 3

Love to see that this kit is allready 46 years old and still soldiers on , respect for that and well done 👍

cheers, Jan

Great back story Adey. I'll bet there are very few of us that can still claim to have the same model on display for such a long time.

Chris.

The newer Shackleton kits may be masterpieces of engineering and detail, but yours is every bit as impressive for its really nice paint job and incredible longevity.

On a personal note names like Woodbridge and Bawdsey bring back some good memories; I spent seven years serving at Wattisham between '95 and '09.

Love your models, stories and photography, Adey.  A great looking Shackleton and I'm amazed it has lasted so long.  Everything I built in the 70s got trashed long ago - not that any of them would have been worth keeping mind you.  Just about to paint my own one after a very long build.  I sanded off the rivets and re-scribed, this being my first major re-scribing effort.  I also had to scratch build one of the main undercarriage structures as it was missing from the kit, with a few other smaller parts.  Once I've finished I'll probably end up buying the new Revell kit!

I can still feel those rivets as I finished mine al those years ago . . . . .

Great to see it in fine fettle after all those years, must say something about your modelling skills ??

Thank you for sharing! The history of the model adds so much more contextually to the build and seeing it evolve is awesome.

Never built the Frog Shackleton,as Frog kits were rare in my neck of the woods,we had Airfix and Matchbox.Indeed the only Frog kits I have built have been in the last few years.To still have a kit all these years is a marvel and it is still looking good.:goodjob:Thanks for sharing.

Mohawk

A fascinating story - love the repaints and the old images, or real photos, from the past. Your sign writing skills are wonderful - well done

Earlier today I had a Hazardous Duty mission and when I went to Ye Olde Paintbrush jar pulled out an old friend I'd quite forgotten. Full Proustian-madeleine moment of recognition ensued re. where I was and which mate was with me at the time and that hobby shop and what was on the radio when I bought it.  Didn't have the heart to smear Mr. Surfacer around with it anymore, might have it mounted instead.

I was happy to retrace your steps down memory lane with Happy Plane, Adey.  Especially that interior diagram. 

Very nice! Good to see a model with such a long history. Maybe you should do one of the nice modern Airfix or Revell ones to go alongside this model?

Very environmentally conscious of you. 

Made from 100% recycled plastic!

The Frog Shack brings back many happy memories and I was totally thrilled when I received one for Christmas in the mid 1970s. 

Incidentally the rail tracks to slide a Shack into the hangar sideways are still evident at St Mawgan.

21295686253_eac511314d.jpg

37 minutes ago, Evalman said:

The Frog Shack brings back many happy memories and I was totally thrilled when I received one for Christmas in the mid 1970s. 

Incidentally the rail tracks to slide a Shack into the hangar sideways are still evident at St Mawgan.

Those rail tracks were first introduced at RAF Kelstern in 1944 when the flew a Lincoln bomber to the airfield and tested the idea of placing the Lincoln in sideways.

Sems the idea was taken up as I never realised that it was used for the Shackleton.

Many thanks for sharing the photo, duly saved 👍

Great looking Shackleton, great save of the old build

Beautiful.

You can see why they were described as 1,000,000 rivets flying in close formation!

Impressive list of overhauls done on the Shackleton.Yours lasted longer than the actual XF701 i think and it's great to hold onto something that your father had bought for you so many years ago.Not too many of us are that fortunate.

9 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Very nice! Good to see a model with such a long history. Maybe you should do one of the nice modern Airfix or Revell ones to go alongside this model?

Thank you Adam, but as the song goes " love the one you're with "

regards, adey

8 hours ago, Evalman said:

Thanks Evalman, I have not seen the tracks close up like this before. I can see them on Google Earth here and I can also make them out at that other large Shackleton base Ballykelly in Northern Ireland.

There is colour film footage which I have seen which was filmed at St Mawgan in the 1960s, one sequence shows a MR3 taxiing out and in the background is a MR3 sideways in a T2 hangar.

regards, adey

Lovley