1/72 FROG Avro Shackleton MR 3

adey m

The newer Shackleton kits may be masterpieces of engineering and detail, but yours is every bit as impressive for its really nice paint job and incredible longevity.

On a personal note names like Woodbridge and Bawdsey bring back some good memories; I spent seven years serving at Wattisham between '95 and '09.

• Thanks 1

Love your models, stories and photography, Adey.  A great looking Shackleton and I'm amazed it has lasted so long.  Everything I built in the 70s got trashed long ago - not that any of them would have been worth keeping mind you.  Just about to paint my own one after a very long build.  I sanded off the rivets and re-scribed, this being my first major re-scribing effort.  I also had to scratch build one of the main undercarriage structures as it was missing from the kit, with a few other smaller parts.  Once I've finished I'll probably end up buying the new Revell kit!

• Thanks 1

Never built the Frog Shackleton,as Frog kits were rare in my neck of the woods,we had Airfix and Matchbox.Indeed the only Frog kits I have built have been in the last few years.To still have a kit all these years is a marvel and it is still looking good.:goodjob:Thanks for sharing.

Mohawk

• Thanks 1

Earlier today I had a Hazardous Duty mission and when I went to Ye Olde Paintbrush jar pulled out an old friend I'd quite forgotten. Full Proustian-madeleine moment of recognition ensued re. where I was and which mate was with me at the time and that hobby shop and what was on the radio when I bought it.  Didn't have the heart to smear Mr. Surfacer around with it anymore, might have it mounted instead.

I was happy to retrace your steps down memory lane with Happy Plane, Adey.  Especially that interior diagram. 

• Thanks 1

The Frog Shack brings back many happy memories and I was totally thrilled when I received one for Christmas in the mid 1970s. 

Incidentally the rail tracks to slide a Shack into the hangar sideways are still evident at St Mawgan.

21295686253_eac511314d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Evalman said:

The Frog Shack brings back many happy memories and I was totally thrilled when I received one for Christmas in the mid 1970s. 

Incidentally the rail tracks to slide a Shack into the hangar sideways are still evident at St Mawgan.

Those rail tracks were first introduced at RAF Kelstern in 1944 when the flew a Lincoln bomber to the airfield and tested the idea of placing the Lincoln in sideways.

Sems the idea was taken up as I never realised that it was used for the Shackleton.

Many thanks for sharing the photo, duly saved 👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Very nice! Good to see a model with such a long history. Maybe you should do one of the nice modern Airfix or Revell ones to go alongside this model?

Thank you Adam, but as the song goes " love the one you're with "

regards, adey

8 hours ago, Evalman said:

Thanks Evalman, I have not seen the tracks close up like this before. I can see them on Google Earth here and I can also make them out at that other large Shackleton base Ballykelly in Northern Ireland.

There is colour film footage which I have seen which was filmed at St Mawgan in the 1960s, one sequence shows a MR3 taxiing out and in the background is a MR3 sideways in a T2 hangar.

regards, adey