'The Dambusters', a Lancaster...... obviously!

It's a great film which consistently makes my top 5 favourite war movies.

Based on a true story, obviously, with only minor additions for dramatic effect, the classic 'triumph over adversity', cutting edge, for the time, special effects and instantly recognisable theme music..... what's not to like?

DSCN0881.jpg

This'll be my first build in a while and I'm not looking for trouble, so 99.5% out of the box with markings for G-George from the Revell version

More to come

Craig

• Like 7

Welcome aboard, my favourite WW2 movie as well.

Local to me is were some of the film was shot, the concrete depression were Barnes blows up scale explosives, harmondsworth village, as far as i know its still there, saw it a few years ago.

All the best Chris

• Like 2

Hi Craig,

Are you thinking of modelling the way over size "Upkeep mine" that was used on the film aircraft, or the much smaller "real thing"which was no doubt still classified when the film was made? Wiki says the mine/bomb was 60" wide and had a 50" diameter, but the film ones looked twice that diameter to me.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

When I did my film dambuster using the old Revell kit, as it has the correct (for the film) code letter shapes, i built the mine shape from balsa laminates.  In working out the dimensions, i decided the filmmakers actually followed the real Upkeep mine but with the original rounded shape.  Although it was secret it seemed likely everyone would have been happier flying a shape that had actually been properly aerodynamically designed back in the day, even if they made it as a shaped fairing and missed off the drive and struts.

As it was a B&W film colours weren't important so I believe they just painted green camo over the then Bomber Command livery of Medium Sea Grey over Black.  In some stills you will see post-war roundels on the wings, and also underwing serials and nose art freshly patch-painted out.  On the real mission 617 had brand new planes, close inspection of the film and stills show the film stars were well used.  At least some of the planes in the film had coloured spinners, I plumped for blue in the end but red seemed equally feasible!  I guess you would need to use late larger bomb aimer blisters and other post 1943 mods, this wasn't in the venerable 60s kit but paddle blades were!

Good Luck and have fun

Cheers 

Will

This was my build, some of the reasoning for choices may interest you, though starting with that ancient kit wouldn't be the greatest idea for a state of the art model! 

Here's a couple of other efforts, bit more realistic  than mine, they may assist you.

• Like 2

Thats all three aircraft shown from the movie.

I had heard that each had different marking on to represent other aircraft but I have never seen any other than G-George,. P-Popsie and M-Mother.

Dambuster-087.jpg

Good luck with your build . . . .

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...