"I've got the Explosives but where are the detonators private!"

JockMcPlock

I'm completely new to all of this and so I have bought myself a 50 litre compressor and an Iwata HP-CS Airbrush.

The little problem I have is that there is nothing in between to connect the two...!

I went onto the Iwata website and was just bamboozled with all sorts of connections and fitments, and with nothing actually in the paperwork regarding thread sizes or internal or external diameters, I'm just left wondering, "What the hell do I need!"

Does anyone has some insight into making this as simple as possible?

Might be an idea to let us know the make and type of compressor fella, there are quite a few types 

some with different connections.

Also remember that you should have a good quality moisture trap fitted and you'll need to dial down the pressure as not to blow the seals

in the airbrush, by the sounds of it you have bought something akin to a spray shop compressor so the pressure will be rated well above the normal operating pressure 

of an airbrush. Grab yourself a good set of ear defenders if you are planning in using it inside, most of these  light industrial units kick out about 98db of noise when filling the tank.  

Regards

Dan 

14 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Might be an idea to let us know the make and type of compressor fella, there are quite a few types 

some with different connections.

Also remember that you should have a good quality moisture trap fitted and you'll need to dial down the pressure as not to blow the seals

in the airbrush, by the sounds of it you have bought something akin to a spray shop compressor so the pressure will be rated well above the normal operating pressure 

of an airbrush. Grab yourself a good set of ear defenders if you are planning in using it inside, most of these  light industrial units kick out about 98db of noise when filling the tank.  

Regards

Dan 

As you say, its a small workshop style compressor instead of the conventional scale modelling airbrush compressor. Simply because I also like my cars and I can now use some air tools and can do a bit of shot blasting rather than sending to companies and paying for it.

I did see a video on youtube before buying where someone used a similar system and for the two minutes of noise to fill, it gave him his day worth of painting from it.

It does go up to about 115PSI, I know, far too much, but I believe 20PSI is suitable for airbrushing, give or take?

The compressor I bought was fairly cheap and in the link below:

https://www.thedandys.ie/product/aerlik-50l-compressor-2.0hp-8-bar-230v

You mentioned a moisture trap. Is there certain ones to go for? Ones better than others?

That's almost the same set up that bought a few years ago, not for modelling though we painted the shed with it :D

I got given a moisture trap by a friend so I'm not sure what type it is but you will need one, our setup suffered really badly from water coming out the spray gun 

which made it unusable, it was cured with the trap, I can check tomorrow for you but from memory it came from a pro setup and probably cost more than the compressor its now fitted to. 

From memory the pipework from the tank to the trap was made from off the shelf plumbing fittings so I removed the quick release that was originally fitted, plumbed in the new trap and added the 

quick release back to the trap, I can't remember but 1/4 BSP/BSPT  sounds right for the connector, 1/4 BSP is about 12mm across the outside of the treads. Iwata treads at the compressor are 1/8 BSP so that should give you all you need to find and adaptor.

Have a look at Air-craft.net for the moisture trap, they should be able to help, don't go for a cheap one as you'll regret it. 

We can make up various hoses to order.

Firstly you need to identify the thread size on the compressor. 

Is it the same thread as the airbrush, larger or smaller?  

If you have a photo of the airbrush thread next to the one on the compressor, should be able to work out what you have.

Paul 

modellingtools.co.uk