Tamiya 1/48 A6M5 Zero

On 28/09/2019 at 14:34, 72modeler said:

George,

That's a gorgeous A6M5! Do you know if the one you have modeled was a Nakajima or Mitsubishi built Zero? The decking under the canopy behind the seat was finished differently by the two manufacturers, but I don't recall off-hand which color was used by which manufacturer. IIRC, and I probably don't, Nakajima-built A6M's had the decking under the canopy painted the same color as the cowling. I sure do like the restrained but very realistic weathering,  and your colors are spot-on, especially the very elusive blue-black cowling color. Hai!

Mike

I think the J-aircraft website covered interior/exterior  colors extensively for the Zero- look for Jim Lansdale's posts, as he and Nick Millman are regarded as real authorities on IJA/IJN colors. Not my scale, but I hope I can do half as well on my 1/72 Tamiya little brother when the time comes!

Hi 72!

I've built a Nakajima version, at least according to the kit instructions. Regarding the deck behind the seat, now that you say so, I'm not sure, perhaps I read  it wrong and it was the wrong color. I don't have those kit instructions  anymore. But I'll check the J site. Thanks!!

Cheers