Tamiya 1/48 A6M5 Zero

Hi there!

Just finished this nice Tamiya kit. Everything OOB and the only real flaw was one of the decals sheet, the smaller one, most stencils. Without exception, all of them cracked as soon as I tried to move them. I used warm water, cold water, decal solution, you name it, with no success. In some cases I was able to join the pieces and have them in place. 

But, as I said, a very nice kit. Hope you’ll like it.

Cheers!

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

George

• Like 33

19 minutes ago, Uncle Uncool said:

George! Very nice build.

What about those flaps? Is it a photoetched set or have you scratchbuilt them from what you had in the kit?

Awesome paint job.

Cheers,

Unc2

Thank you! Those flaps are original kit parts and can be built extended or up, your choice. Nice'n'easy.

George,

That's a gorgeous A6M5! Do you know if the one you have modeled was a Nakajima or Mitsubishi built Zero? The decking under the canopy behind the seat was finished differently by the two manufacturers, but I don't recall off-hand which color was used by which manufacturer. IIRC, and I probably don't, Nakajima-built A6M's had the decking under the canopy painted the same color as the cowling. I sure do like the restrained but very realistic weathering,  and your colors are spot-on, especially the very elusive blue-black cowling color. Hai!

Mike

I think the J-aircraft website covered interior/exterior  colors extensively for the Zero- look for Jim Lansdale's posts, as he and Nick Millman are regarded as real authorities on IJA/IJN colors. Not my scale, but I hope I can do half as well on my 1/72 Tamiya little brother when the time comes!