So I started a .... 1/72 stash clearance -Gnat gnearly done; Just leaves the swordfish and some tanks, hmm

Marklo

Re purposing this thread to be a general farewell to 1/72 thread. Not that I won’t build some models in that scale but 1/48 is now my default.

the list

Airfix 

Typhoon

P51D

FW190

Swordfish

Gnat

Revell

Ta 154

Me 109G

Heller

Me109K

The 109s now have several friends and are reserved for the STGB but the rest must go. 

First up the TYPHOON

Found this when going through my stash for bits for my current wip (guns, engines etc) I also happen to be reading this and have a new airbrush and compressor (my first this time around) sitting in a cupboard. So I decided to start the typhoon, that it will be largely if not completely oob and also that ...... it will be my first (attempted)  airbrushed build. So off we go.

48768611738_1b8f3c71a8_z.jpg

The obligatory sprue shot

48768611678_045d9f21d0_z.jpg

Zipping it up, my new berna clamps are extremely useful here.

48791530108_92afedbfdc_z.jpg

Wings on.

48791530073_67f64f4267_z.jpg

A little filler at the wing roots and seams (liquid green stuff btw)  and it's ready for some airbrush action........ Now I've ordered some ultimate primer so I need to decide if I wait for that or bale in with the Tamiya light sea grey as an undercoat.

48792708923_7703cf3dbf_z.jpg

Just arrived in the post no excuses........

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 13

Thank you. It’s a lovely little kit. My stash of kits is growing (possibly out of hand) and I do enjoy a mojo restoring oob  every once in a while, it’s a bit like getting a takeaway for dinner :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 1

A fair comment. I have a mind to do a 1/72 clear out as soon as my wip goes down a bit. I have a P51, two 109s, a swordfish, a gnat, an fw190, a ta154(not a typo) a H.P. 0/400, a zeppelin stakken( it’s huge) and a few bits of armour, may attack them in the new year :) all will be oob but maybe with alt colour schemes especially the German ones as the family isn’t too keen on Luftwaffe (ahem) tail markings 

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 2

Ah but that’s only my 1/72 kits I have about 60 kits in total ( a modest stash) but do bear in mind I’m only back in the hobby a few years. 

I am with you on the workbench, let’s see, my wip, pup rebuild, bulldog rigging, DH4a, Bristol racer, Stuka, snark, typhoon, JI oh and the Pfalz, so only 9 in progress.

And of course my original  stash may still be in my dads. keep meaning to go retrieve that. Mostly 1/72 affair but aside from a rail gun and a 1/48 skyraider I can’t remember what’s in it.

My grand plan is to have a true stash by retirement , a few years yet. I also have a drawer full of plastic card and about a dozen sets of plans counted so as a mixed kit/scratchbuilder this too technically contributes to the overall numbers :)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

48854416056_e681ab1797_z.jpg

Wonder of wonders, my cheapo ebay airbrush and compressor worked a charm  (less than €50 so I wasn't expecting much, but it's great) , so I managed to do some work on the Typhoon. Primer first.

48854624752_0bf048f0f7_z.jpg

First attempts at preshading, I used dark sea grey rather than black, not as much contrast as I'd have liked, but the undersides will be light grey so it should still work.

48847291448_12c0e3347f_z.jpg

Tamiya Light sea grey, not sure the preshading is showing through, but pleased with the finish overall,  still a bit dark so I think I'll give it a coat of something lighter. Will try to show a bit of modulation.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

48930938868_82427f9704_z.jpgBasecoat on upper surfaces, Tamiya neutral grey. Dark green next. Pretty pleased with my first few forays into airbrushing. Finish is definitely head and shoulders above brush painting, but more prep needed.

• Like 5

Build looks really good so far. I am planning on doing this kit at some point, I'll have the gun bays open and probably an aftermarket resin and etch engine. Maybe even photoetch cockpit detailing if that's a thing that exists for that kit...

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/152784191@N02/0F1992

https://www.flickr.com/gp/152784191@N02/7g5390

Masked blue tack and maskol green on, Tamiya nato green. Pretty pleased with the result. Just needed a little brush retouching. Yellow next then decals.

starting to love my airbrush :)

Looking good. 

Can't you post the pictures here directly?

Chris

48982678122_f74ebce979_z.jpg

Yellow on, made this difficult for myself by spraying a bit heavily instead of building up with light coats, terrible paint too, but ok after a bit of retouching. Decals next, almost done.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4