Su-37 (T-10M) scratch/conversion

Flankerman

Inspired by a conversation on another discussion group about building a Su-37 - I thought I'd have a go....

The discussion suggested combining the back end of the 1/72 scale two-seat Zvezda Su-30SM with the front end of the Zvezda Su-33 to make the single seat Su-37.

A new longer (and slightly fatter) nose is needed - along with taller, square-tipped fins - plus a few other minor changes - but the whole thing looks do-able.

I have both kits in my stash, so I got both out for comparison - and liked what I saw.... so here goes....

spacer.png

As they are both from the same manufacturer, the panel lines match up - the Su-30SM is on the left - with the Su-33 on the right.

spacer.png

The fuselages butchered / separated....... Note how the airbrakes differ.

spacer.png

.... and swapped over (the left hand one will be the Su-37, the right-hand one will become a Chinese J-17/J-15D)

spacer.png

Plastic card strips used the strengthen the joint.

Now, I just need to work out how to do the fatter Su-37 radome.

More later..

Ken

• Like 4

On 9/25/2019 at 4:17 PM, Serkan Sen said:

It would be great to get your opinion on my progress

Your work is stunning Serkan - such attention to detail and superb resin casting to build all the different versions - I can't compete with you.

Mine is much simpler - with the bonus that the leftover parts can be made into a Chinese J-17/15D.

Did you increase the diameter and length of the forward fuselage and radome on your models??

If so, by how much - and do you have any drawings showing the increase (in addition to the one posted by Berkut?)

I'm not sure if it is worth doing in 1/72 scale - does the difference show that much??

Happy Flankering

Ken

Progress......

The first application of filler along the joins.......

spacer.png

I used the Su-33 cockpit tub - but with the Su-30SM decals as they have MFD screens - not 100% accurate for a Su-37

but with the canopy closed.....

Zvezda provide the sliding throttle control on the left - but the Su-37 was fitted with a sidestick controller (right) - so I used the kit

control column cut down......

spacer.png

Su-33 front end, married to the Su-30SM rear end..............

spacer.png

.... with the complete Su-30SM lower fuselage attached - and it all fits..... :thumbsup:

spacer.png

Now for some sanding/filling/sanding....

Ken

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 8:08 PM, Flankerman said:

Your work is stunning Serkan - such attention to detail and superb resin casting to build all the different versions - I can't compete with you.

Thanks for your kind reply Master Ken. It is a great honor to get your admiration.

Mine is much simpler - with the bonus that the leftover parts can be made into a Chinese J-17/15D.

I have used one of the rest Su-33 parts together with casted Su-27IB front fuselage for my Su-33UBM "what if" project. J-17 will be the next one...

732.jpg

Did you increase the diameter and length of the forward fuselage and radome on your models??

I'm not sure if it is worth doing in 1/72 scale - does the difference show that much??

No I have not increased the fuselage diameter, but I have reshaped the nose cone and added the panel lines and IFR lights. That seemed me ok in 1:72 scale.

588.jpg

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 1

More progress....

I'm happy with the joint lines - they are now eliminated....

spacer.png

So it's onto that problematic nose......

Published dimensions give the T10 (Su-27) and T10M (Su-37) as having the same overall length - but the Su-27 length includes the nose pitot.

That means that the Su-37 (which doesn't have a nose pitot) must have the nose / radome lengthened by the same length as the pitot (11mm in the kit)

The radome is also slightly wider in diameter - and without the slight double curvature of the Su-27 radome......

I'm lengthening the kit radome by inserting a length of 15mm dia plastic knitting needle between the fuselage nose and radome - I'll fill in the recess with scraps of plastic later.......

spacer.png

I'm not 'fattening' the radome - the difference is minimal in 1/72 scale - but I'll try and re-shape the curvature to an approximation of the Su-37 shape.

Ken

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 9:42 AM, Flankerman said:

More progress....

I'm happy with the joint lines - they are now eliminated....

spacer.png

So it's onto that problematic nose......

Published dimensions give the T10 (Su-27) and T10M (Su-37) as having the same overall length - but the Su-27 length includes the nose pitot.

That means that the Su-37 (which doesn't have a nose pitot) must have the nose / radome lengthened by the same length as the pitot (11mm in the kit)

The radome is also slightly wider in diameter - and without the slight double curvature of the Su-27 radome......

I'm lengthening the kit radome by inserting a length of 15mm dia plastic knitting needle between the fuselage nose and radome - I'll fill in the recess with scraps of plastic later.......

spacer.png

I'm not 'fattening' the radome - the difference is minimal in 1/72 scale - but I'll try and re-shape the curvature to an approximation of the Su-37 shape.

Ken

Oh my God! Not fattening the forward  fuselage by 0.5 mm shall render it unwatchable according to a local critic!

Fantastic work Master Ken, as usual.

Edited by Robertone139
  • Like 1

More....

The gap betwen the lengthened radome and fuselage is filled in with scraps of plastic card....

spacer.png

.... followed by filler and a first sanding.... people of a nervous disposition look away now..

spacer.png

I've also made the new tailboom - using an 8mm plastic knitting needle cut and carved to shape -

spacer.png

More butchery to follow...

Ken

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...