Dragonfly HR5 .Royal Navy.

huvut76g7gbbui7

Hi @Scimitar,

from what I've been able to dig up, the 'in service' colour seems to be black blades with yellow tips, see here:-

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/michaelhibbins/44150552474/

If your going for a civilian (BEA) version, black blades with red/white/red tips :-

http://www.zap16.com/2016/01/06/2010-cosford-royal-air-force-museum/imgp4942-westland-dragonfly-hr5-ws-51-bea-g-ajov/

May be of some use?

Paul

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

seems to be black blades with yellow tips,

My memory of seeing them flying out of HMS Fulmar has the top surface lighter. 

Unfortunately colour photos of operational ones rather than restored ones are rare.

The ones stored at Blackbushe for many years looked like the they had grey tops but I thought that was just fading then I found this one

IMG_0147.jpg

Is this just reflection from the flash?

• Like 1

I don't have any official publications to quote from, but for a long time on U.S. designed choppers it was gray over black on the main rotor blades.  When the transition to just one color came along I don't know.  Most likely from what I remember is that Light Gull Gray was used for the tops of the blades.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Scimitar said:

IMG_0147.jpg

Is this just reflection from the flash?

@Scimitar, don't know about 'flash' but have a look at the leading blade, just forward of the hub. Is it where the dust has been taken off by work being carried out? Random oil / grease? Because there's a heck of a build up of dust along the whole of the upper fuselage.

Saw your reply Dave @e8n2, suppose it would depend on if any where delivered to the R.N. or all built by Westland in the U.K.

@Scimitar, if it's not too pressing, I can have a word with one of our members, he was R.N. / F.A.A. for 20+ years.

Don't hold your breath too much as he was trained on Wasps and Sea Kings.

I have browsed through a few pictures of Dragonflies in FAA service and I believe that the top of the blades was indeed grey, as this area looks lighter than the black clearly seen on the bottom of the same blades. Which grey ? hard to tell, could have been Medium Sea Grey from the contrast with other parts of the helicopters but this is just a guess.

unfortunately the best pictures I've seen are of machines in eralier colour schemes, like the original overall aluminum and the later EDSG over Sky, the pictures I have of machines in RAF Blue Grey don't show the top of the blades well, meaning that if any change was introduced with that latest scheme I may well have missed it.

Unfortunately I don't have any official reference to the colour specifications for FAA machines of the era, hopefully someone here has access to these

• Like 1

Hi Scimitar  Just located my Britavia example, the instructions show the upper surface of the rotor blades as Dark Sea Grey, with Matt Black for the lower surfaces and Matt Yellow tips. hth cheers Chris

Hold everything, this info only applies to WG688 on HMS Bulwark 1955. For WG724 at Lossie in 1961, then it's Matt Black on both surfaces with Matt Yellow tips. I won't go looking for my Aerodrom one in the depths of the loft today, to much excitement already.

Edited by chris57
Further reading
  • Thanks 1

I just looked at the photo again and its of an HR5 so my question of whether the colour change happened when they were converted is no longer relevant.

I wonder if the change was notified to the factory and production blades then became all black with yellow tips? Cost saving perhaps?

1 hour ago, chris57 said:

the instructions show the upper surface of the rotor blades as Dark Sea Grey,

Mine are long gone!

Have to disagree as I think it is lighter than DSG. Even allowing for the sunnier place :

af057872-b685-4470-a960-dd72c4bf3ba5.jpg

2 hours ago, Scimitar said:

I just looked at the photo again and its of an HR5 so my question of whether the colour change happened when they were converted is no longer relevant.

I wonder if the change was notified to the factory and production blades then became all black with yellow tips? Cost saving perhaps?

Mine are long gone!

Have to disagree as I think it is lighter than DSG. Even allowing for the sunnier place :

af057872-b685-4470-a960-dd72c4bf3ba5.jpg

Fair comment, most of the guys involved with Britavia are long gone.

• Like 1