Lt. Frank Bullitt's '68 Ford Mustang GT Fastback - Finished

Hi all,

Part 2 of my Bullitt themed build:

Lt. Frank Bullitt's '68 Ford Mustang GT Fastback.

48788095441_92bc6a7d75_b.jpg

Again no real work done except the same stripping, cleaning, mold removal and dulling of plastic in readiness of the primer.

The caveat to these two builds is that they represent my first efforts with what seem to be quite decent and detailed kits of cars. I have previously made a kit of a Ford Capri 1600 GT for my Dad as a gift and painted up as his favourite motor but the kit itself left a lot to be desired as did my paintwork, so an improvement on that finish is my goal for these two models, but having researched I am amazed at the results some guy's can achieve, however I won't be able to use some of the noxious paints and clear coats they do, so we'll see.

Anyway, I love this car too, if I ever win the lottery...it'll be a hard choice....maybe both!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 10

My brother owned a ‘69 charger with the 440ci six pack carbs. It had the gun handled shifter in it. Which was just flippin incredible to drive. Unfortunately he had to sell it, he got tired of fixing the paint and replacing the tires. Some people just cant handle jealousy and his tires would constantly get slashed and the car was keyed multiple times. I always wanted the Mustang myself. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...

Ha! I bet you thought I'd forgotten about this one...

….as with the other builds for the GB I have finally managed to find some time to progress the Mustang:

A collection of bits and sub-assemblies plus the body shell primed and ready for wet sanding.

49305476571_2fa40a725a_b.jpg

The interior tub has been flocked and painted

49305476741_3aff2d1710_b.jpg

The dash and engine:

49305476146_671105d9c2_b.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Plodding on but hopeful of finishing in time:

49368864152_ef470313a6_b.jpg

Most of the components are getting there, I'm just in the process of detail painting the wheels. The body shell paint (Tamiya AS21 IJN Dark Green) has been wet sanded to smooth it out a bit and is just awaiting the clear coat.

49368864307_67bc2f49c3_b.jpg

The interior is nearly done including Lt. Bullitt's beige raincoat slung over the passenger seat and the copy of the San Francisco Chronicle he 'boosted' from the news stand, well maybe not the exact one but it is from November '68 so close enough. Other than that I just need to add some seat belt buckles to the driver's seat.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

On 12/31/2019 at 5:14 PM, MarkSH said:

Ha! I bet you thought I'd forgotten about this one...

Well I certainly hadn't. The film theme music popped into my head earlier today and then I remembered this build and wondered what had become of it.

The interior and paint are looking very impressive.

• Thanks 1

Evening all,

This one has come together quite rapidly as it turned out. Basically a much simpler construction than the Charger, A couple of paint details to add plus one decal and I can call it finished:

49385187938_8429399bbd_b.jpg

49385656121_9fe76b528e_b.jpg

49385852877_dc1cb3b325_b.jpg

At the start of the GB there was a discussion about which of the cars would be preferable to own. I was on the fence but now I have come down firmly on the side of the Mustang purely from an aesthetic and design point of view. I am swayed by the more compact and striking look of the Mustang, whilst the Charger screams 'AMERICAN!!!' the Mustang just looks cooler which is probably why the king of cool chose it for his ride!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 7

• MarkSH changed the title to Lt. Frank Bullitt's '68 Ford Mustang GT Fastback - Finished

Lovely result.

I believe in the opening scene... still one of the greatest car chase sequences ever filmed... one Frank Gardner was driving the 'chasing' car (Steve McQueen drove his own, of course...).

Frank had a long career in driving and management in Australian motorsports, but his role in this movie, perhaps the most 'public' of his achievements, is much less well known.

• Like 2