Another old kit: Airfix S3A Viking 1/72 circa 1980s

Here are the parts. Many of them have warped, so need to have careful glueing. WISH ME LUCK!

9Je9Phn.jpg

However good complement of armaments. Two harpoons, 4 torpedoes, underwing fuel tanks. ANNNND a long MAD boom.

It comes with a retractable MAD boom out the bottom.  Kind of a long phallic sword that can pull out and push back in, Ha ha ha.

0xX2h4A.jpg

Anyone can advise how to fix the *ahem* Peyronie's disease in the curved appendage?

Edited by CasualModel98
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Robert said:

Tie a weight to it and hang it in the Singapore sun. Having just come back from Singapore that should do the trick.

Regards

Robert

Hope you had a good time despite the 3 seasons of hot, hotter and hottest weather in Singapore.

There are 4-5 hobby shops here, did you manage to visit any?

17 hours ago, Andwil said:

I’ve got one of these, probably been in the stash for the same time, if not longer, so keen to see how yours develops.

AW

Despite being an old kit and probably warped, it has a bit more parts than the Hasegawa kit. It has a bomb bay for 4 torpedoes and two harpoons to load than just six miserable Mk82s.

However the kit is not as crisp as the newer Hasegawa kit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CasualModel98 said:

Hope you had a good time despite the 3 seasons of hot, hotter and hottest weather in Singapore.

There are 4-5 hobby shops here, did you manage to visit any?

Yes l was able to visit Mr Lee at Minature Hobby, HobbyPoint at Bain St and  M Workshop at Sunshine Plaza. Had a great time but l miss the food most. One of the best places in the world.

Regards

Robert

19 hours ago, Robert said:

Yes l was able to visit Mr Lee at Minature Hobby, HobbyPoint at Bain St and  M Workshop at Sunshine Plaza. Had a great time but l miss the food most. One of the best places in the world.

Regards

Robert

Next time you come, ping me.  Happy to host a modelling friend in SG.

18 hours ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

This was a cool kit when it was released, one of my friends built one. For its age it seemed quite detailed.

Yes, the kit is quite well designed actually and with lots of detail. Too bad Airfix did not update the kit.

Pictures of the cockpit and pilots. Note the pilots are quite well detailed with nice seatbelts, etc, despite being an old kit and in 1/72 scale.

The panels are so-so, no decals but will have to hand paint. Seats are the usual bland seats.

D6qc3tl.jpg

• Like 2

As this is an old kit, the plastic has warped. See how the two fuselage halves does not line up nicely but curves away. In order to align it well, I will be glueing it section by section. Here I glued the nose area first, leave for 24 hours then will glue the bottom, and then another 24 hours will go around and glue the top. This should give me time to complete painting the cockpit and pilot.

Note that I am not glueing the cockpit into the fuselage as per the instruction. I find it better to fit it in before glueing the top, and after glueing the nose and the bottom. The way the cockpit is designed, I find this method ensured a snug fit for the front console and for the cockpit backing to the body. WIll show more of that later.

IUBRbrm.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/27/2019 at 3:21 PM, Robert said:

Looking good. Are you going to rescribe it ?r

Regards

Robert

Raised panel lines, and old kit, will not rescribe the lines, just move on to other kits when this is done. Bought a stash of over 20 old kits for a good price so going through them one by one.

• Like 2

Did you pick the kits up at the Mega Minicon 2019 ?  l was told about the show by the owner of M Workshop and was able to go. It was a good show l also got some bargains.

Regards

Robert

On 10/1/2019 at 4:25 AM, Robert said:

Did you pick the kits up at the Mega Minicon 2019 ?  l was told about the show by the owner of M Workshop and was able to go. It was a good show l also got some bargains.

Regards

Robert

No, I got these from an old modeller's family after his demise, to clear his stash. Thats why the kits are 30 years old. Mega minicon likely have new kits.

• 2 months later...

As the fuselage has warped, I had to slowly glue it from nose to tail bit by bit and letting it dry before glueing and clamping the next section.

WtWk5zH.jpg

As you reach the top, you got to carefully fit in the cockpit before glueing the full top end of the fuselage.

rjxqGsJ.jpg

• Like 1