1:48 Rat Bird (kit bash)

48787126091_bef283843a.jpg

Here’s my Christian Pearce inspired Rat Bird.

48249077836_dd1587a934_b.jpg

Mine isn’t an exact replica of Christian’s drawing, more of an “inspired by” and I hope a reasonable tribute to his excellent art work.

I’ve added my own personalisation by way of aircraft markings and ‘nose art’, I hope Christian would approve, for anyone interested JHC are my initials.

The build consisted of a number of first’s for me…

First kit-bash.

First ‘hairspray’ chipping.

First ‘home-made’ decals.

First ‘replacement’ panel.

Two ‘donor’ kits were used, Tamiya 1:48 Republic P-47D Thunderbolt “Bubbletop” and Vought F4U-1A Corsair, as well as a number of items from the ‘spares box’, decals, bombs, pilot and PE.

This has been one of the most enjoyable builds I’ve had since returning to the hobby, it certainly won’t be the last kit-bash I attempt.

Here’s some photos…

48787396811_b9d67cc291_z.jpg

48787550202_a28c16e203_z.jpg

48787036883_c434278d48_z.jpg

48787036848_d261e09379_z.jpg

48787396621_bf67f8348d_z.jpg

48787550102_7dd1ef762a_z.jpg

48787036673_7c052e84ee_z.jpg

48787396506_fb7ac9b139_z.jpg

48787396446_b8fab4cb9b_z.jpg

48787396391_515786cfa2_z.jpg

48787549852_cf41ecd641_z.jpg

Build log…

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235058242-148-rat-bird-kit-bash/

Thank you for looking.

until next time

as always, any suggestions, criticisms or comments will be gratefully received.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 41
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Great looking model and interpretation of the art work! 

Looks a little lonely though. I think you should make two or three more...

thanks Thom

funny you should say that, I've an idea for the next one...

rgds

John

7 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Very cool! 👍👍👍😁

6 hours ago, Madmaks said:

Very impressive 👏👍

1 hour ago, RMCS said:

Outstanding 

you're all very kind, it was really fun to build, a little out of my comfort zone but now I've been well and truly bitten by the kit-bashing bug, another one will follow shortly

rgds

John

As I said in the WIP, it’s refreshing to see a build that’s done just for fun, without the pressure of trying to replicate a certain aircraft. Way to let the creative juices flow, it was enjoyable to watch the process!

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, djos said:

10+

Your modeling skill is amazing. BRAVO!

Best regards Djordje

13 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Dont who or what it is are but it looks very cool.:clap2:

Mohawk

thanks Chaps

I had a lot of fun building her

rgds

John

5 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

As I said in the WIP, it’s refreshing to see a build that’s done just for fun, without the pressure of trying to replicate a certain aircraft. Way to let the creative juices flow, it was enjoyable to watch the process!

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks RadMax8

as I tell anyone/everyone it was such a fun build, I hope that I've captured the spirit of Christian Pearce's drawing and that my own additions, alternatives and modifications don't detract.

I'm dreaming up my next project, I'm thinking about type of bi-plane(ish) kit bash, just to make life a little more complicated 🤔

rgds

John

Excellent job!  Well done!

Perhaps you might find some additional inspiration in "Major Howdy Bixby’s Album of Forgotten Warbirds", the delightful craziness of Bruce McCall.  Some of his aircraft designs(?) used to grace the pages of Playboy magazine in a time long ago and far away.  What fun!

• Like 2

Congratulations from me too. She turned out to be a beauty.

Looking forward to the next one.

Pete

BTW, Today on the bay a model of the Fairey Seafood is on offer. Though I think it may just be a product of predictive texas.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fubar57 said:

That turned out very well John and it was one of the best build threads I have followed for a long while. Looking forward to your next adventure.

George

thank you George

the idea of the build log is so that I can look back and prompt myself how and what I did, hopefully some may read/see my efforts and realise that 99% is down to practice, the 1% is wanting to try, it's also why I always show my mistakes, if I can recover and/or learn from them we all can.

rgds

John

• Like 1

9 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

Thats a fun build - thanks for sharing

thanks Rich, this kit-bashing is "my new thing" I'm know that I'll mess up one of my next builds but the enjoyment aspect of it will still be there.

rgds

John

9 hours ago, uncletommy said:

Excellent job!  Well done!

Perhaps you might find some additional inspiration in "Major Howdy Bixby’s Album of Forgotten Warbirds", the delightful craziness of Bruce McCall.  Some of his aircraft designs(?) used to grace the pages of Playboy magazine in a time long ago and far away.  What fun!

thanks for the inspiration uncletommy, the descriptions of the aircraft are wonderful, I might have to try that idea for my next one.

rgds

John

8 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

Great fun, thanks for showing that. Great skill clearly needed to get such a good result..

Congrats.

Q

many thanks Q, I'm not sure about the great skill as I was lucky with the fit between the wings and fuselage and even then I could have made a better job of smoothing everything together however, part of the fun with this build was seeing how I could make it work and I was helped by fellow britmodellers given their advice and suggestions, that's what makes this community great.

rgds

John