CA15 Kangoroo 1/72

Finished this in the spring, but only now got around to take pictures. It's the CMR resin kit and the only kit available, AFAIK. Can't really recommend it, it's crude beyond belief. One of the final steps was to fix the spinner to the front and as you can see, they don't match up. Oh well, it would have been back to scratch to fix it. The main wheels came from a P-51, as the original; fortunate, as the kit wheels was so far off.

The air intake under the spinner also came from a P-51 and does not really fit the bill, but it's better than the kit offering.

FpaOl4eY_o.jpg

wWEeELoh_o.jpg

bf6lzjBU_o.jpg

PSl94Lee_o.jpg

1w4BY6jQ_o.jpg

I7QKhIC9_o.jpg

Painted with Alclad nuances and finished with the kit decals

I just hope it may inspire other to make a better effort .

/Finn

• Like 26

Looks quite okay to me.  You have done a good job with it.

Although the term Kangaroo has been around quite a while it  never had any official currency and is newer than the aircraft itself.

I don't think you would like the Kiwi Wings one if you found the CMR a challenge!

The CMR kit is one of our best sellers and well made examples turn up at model shows.

https://www.redroomodels.com/product/cmr-commonwealth-aircraft-corporation-ca-15-1-72/

It is usually in stock.

Eagles Talon did a very nice 1/72 vacform of the CA-15; I have it and the CMR kit, and they are both fairly decent. Eagles Talon vacforms were very nice, but they are extremely hard to find and very expensive when you can find one. That being said, your model looks very very nice! (A lot nicer looking than the original R-2800-powered one would have been!)

Mike

15 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Eagles Talon did a very nice 1/72 vacform of the CA-15; I have it and the CMR kit, and they are both fairly decent. Eagles Talon vacforms were very nice, but they are extremely hard to find and very expensive when you can find one. That being said, your model looks very very nice! (A lot nicer looking than the original R-2800-powered one would have been!)

Mike

I've made 3 vacforms: The first, the only and the last, all in one: Rareplanes P-43. So that's not an option. Come to think about it, the P-43 required as much help and scrach building as the CA-15.

I really prefer recent kits, like the Tamiya FW-190A3, which can be assembled without filler.

And yes, the CA-15 did not look as lean and mean with the R-2800 as with the Griffon.

/Finn

Edited by FinnAndersen
  • Like 1

Nicely built and photographed Finn!

As you can tell by my avatar, I quite like the CA-15. I've built the CMR kit and can say from experience, it's a bit of work as you've described.

For completeness, there have been a few other ca-15 kits in 1/72 -

Eagles Talon vacform mentioned above. I've heard the wings are fine but the fuselage might be a bit short/small. One of our club members is planning to graft the Eagle Talons wings to the CMR fuselage so he can properly detail out the undercarriage bays.

NKR - I've got one of these and it looks remarkably similar to the CMR kit though the small pieces are in a wafer and the resin is green, not cream like CMR. Since NKR mastered and produced their kits in the Czech republic, this is not likely to be a co incidence. NKR did however also issue some variations of the CA-15 such as the original radial engined concept and a racer version 🤔.

Finally there is a Kora kit which based on photos of its breakdown is different from the CMR kit. The only examples I've seen on the net would cost a lot to get to Australia.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1