1/72 Fokker D VII

Time to build something completely different for me anyway. I have not built an aircraft since I was a kit and I don't remember ever building a biplane. So I bought this kit purely for its aesthetics and the reputation of Eduards. The kit in the box look very detailed with some nice looking PE and very cool decalsh and there is also enough spare parts in the box for me to make another custom sci-fi model.....

Now I'm totally nieve about building these and know very little about the history of aircraft, so this is probably not going to be the most informative thread ever and will following the instructions, so any tips or pointers please feel free to chip in. 

Box art and the divers seat so far, I know this was a small kit but didn't expect so many part just for this little section of the plane, al good fun though. 

download-1.jpg
IMG-20190923-230309.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

That's novel, we have an 'action man' in our midst. :rofl:

Looks like you're off to good start with the cockpit, looking good to me.

Stuart

I have been put back together so many times from MTB and motorbike mishaps it's closer to the truth than I would like....rolf. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So open the engine panel and I think its going to be OK, only the mount for the wing trut is giving me cause for concern. I have a selection of syringe and metal to use now to detail the engine and think I will have to put something on the fire wall (if that's what's its called). I have the cut out part so that can go onto the field work bench. 

IMG-20190924-212900.jpg
IMG-20190924-212821.jpg
IMG-20190924-212748.jpg

Edited by rockpopandchips
  • Like 10

Thats about it I think, dizzy cap added, HT lead tube(I assume) added, box with copper tubes(coolent?) and a few other bits that I could add without making my eyes bleed to much and cut of the fixing mount a bit to shape the sump. 

Do people normally drill out the exhaust? I haven't but now I'm thinking I should.... 

And how the hell I mask this lot when I come to paint I have no idea.... 🙄

IMG-20190925-100934.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

That engine does look very nice nestled in the nose.

With that wing strut in the way, I can see how masking may be a little fiddly. I think I might have masked and painted the nose at this stage or left the strut off until later.

Stuart

Cheers Stuart, nothing if glued together yet, as I wasn't sure how to go about painting the thing, but I think I'm going to do a bit of sub assembly and paint of the undercarriage, wings due to the massive decals, tail and fuselage. 

Amazed at how well this turned out. 

45905fd4c739442db261b0229ff8cc4a_l.jpg

Cheers Brian.

• Like 3

Update and I have got some work on this done. The yellow is not a great finish but I'm not doing it again so it's staying. Happy with the blue mix I made up,( I'm not bothered about historical accuracy here) I did a bit of pre shading that's works out so so but overall it will do and once I add a but of pastel weathering it should look a bit better.

The decals are rediculess no body worned out these when I bought the kit.... They are very good quality it's just the number and complexity, this is going to take a bit of time. 

IMG-20191001-143126.jpg

• Like 6

Very nice so far, even more so for a first biplane. It has no rigging to speak of either so a good first biplane yo get you hooked. The SPAD, on the other hand, more than makes up for any lack of rigging on this one!

Ian

• Like 2

Just now, limeypilot said:

Very nice so far, even more so for a first biplane. It has no rigging to speak of either so a good first biplane yo get you hooked. The SPAD, on the other hand, more than makes up for any lack of rigging on this one!

Ian

Cheers Ian its go a few small bits of rigging to do and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with it at the moment. If you know of any idiots guides to rigging 1/72 scale stuff I would be very grateful. 

Cheers Brian. 

1 minute ago, rockpopandchips said:

idiots guides to rigging 1/72 scale stuff I would be very grateful. 

I have rigged many WW1 aircraft in my time (and will do so again!)

Not to worry Brian...luckily it is a DVII!  The only rigging on the outside would be the very tiny pieces of wire connecting the control horns to the internal pulleys inside the wing and similar pieces for the rudder and stabilizers.  I used small bits of stretched sprue for this.  The access points are marked in moulding on the plastic.  I am pretty sure they are even visible through the decal as long as they have settled properly.  

The trick with this kit would be the rib tapes on the wings, wing edges, ailerons,...etc...maddening and took me two days, i.e. 48 hours to do it.  My next Eduard Fokker will have Avia Lozenge.  Much better.  

• Like 3

Since the only rigging on this aircraft is, as John mentioned, the control lines and undercarriage bracing, you could easily use very thin wire rolled straight and ca'd on. Fir proper structural rigging I always drill holes and thread monofilament fishing line through, then ca in place. I have quite a few WWI builds on here I'll try to find a link for you.

Ian

• Like 2

Very nice job all around, especially like that engine..  And the colors look very good.  

I know it is too late for this one, but if I may make a suggestion -- take an Xacto knife with brand new blade (#11?) and scrape/scribe out the back of the engine panel louvres.  Slowly but surely does the trick.  I don't have the Eduard D VII yet (seems to be hard to find at my normal US suppliers), but have done this on 1/72 FW 190.  Adds a lot, if you look at it that closely.  Nice job on that lozenge, too.

John DCM -- Avia lozenge?  Do you mean Aviattic?  If yes, I absolutely agree.  I have a bunch and they look fantastic.  Guess I need to search for the Eduard kit more diligently.  

Bob C