Revell 1:32 Junkers Ju 88A-1

Sturmovik

Decided to start a side project, apart from Airfix's 1:48 Bf 109E.

This photo is from earlier today.

A6v7edS.jpg

And this one is from today's evening. The camouflage has been outlined with a pencil. I had glue remaining just for the left engine cowling, I'll buy more tomorrow, if I can.

FrC3rsa.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

1/32??  Must be a big beast...!?

Q

It is quite big, I don't know where I'm going to put it. It's also rather heavy, so I'm debating myself whether to add the SAC landing gear or the plastic one. The first time, the plastic gear gave up and broke. The second time, I used the SAC gear, which I never got to see bend or sag since the model got broken by a shelf falling over it.

56 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

That's a lot of real estate, and looking good with the color going on.

I finished painting the RLM 70 just now. RLM 71 will be applied most likely to the tail section today too.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 1

More progress on my Ju 88. RLM 71 has been applied to the areas that didn't need an extensive masking work. I'll try to paint the rest tomorrow or at least paint thr rear splinter pattern.

a1Cs6iv.jpg

• Like 5

RLM 71 fully painted on the Junkers. The ridges caused by the use of the brush were sanded with a wet sandpaper.

Dt8HW9w.jpg

After pondering for the entire week, and after thinking on the comments and posts linked to me, I decided to use the Scale Aircraft Conversion's white metal landing gear, since I thought the struts were solid enough to support the model. The struts were glued with epoxy glue and Contacta where there were plastic parts.

Here you can see the frontal underside of the cowlings painted in RLM 65. I still have a long way to go with this kit.

Unlike my usual way of doing stuff, decals will be added with the plane standing on its struts.

gkdPY3L.jpg

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 3

The mighty 88 was finally, although for a short time, put on its gear for the first time.

QtCnUC2.jpg

Here you can see the cowlings and the horizontal stabilizers fully painted in RLM 65. Only thing remaining to paint are the fuselage and wings.

XHesEfW.jpg

Click on the "follow" button to stay up to date on the progress I make with the 88.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 3

I can feel I'm getting to the end of this build. The decals were unlike anything I used from Revell Germany, brittle and took a long time to move from the backing paper. The yellow band was painted AFTER I applied the tactical number to the aircraft. Since the decals behave like that, I've decided to leave the rest of the stencils on the decal sheet, and apply the main ones. I know the model looks naked without them, especially in 1:32.

PtAGyge.jpg.aRxD7ch.jpg

kSxVVgZ.jpg

Remaining things to do are: propellers, landing gear doors, antennas, paint and glue the dive brakes, matt varnish the entire kit.

Comments welcome!

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 8

Just now, Adam Poultney said:

aftermarket decals

I could try, but since I won't add any more decals, it would be a waste of money.

1 minute ago, Adam Poultney said:

their one in desert camo is better

Same kit but with A-4 parts, instructions must be as vague as the ones in the A-1 kit.

Just now, Sturmovik said:

I could try, but since I won't add any more decals, it would be a waste of money.

Same kit but with A-4 parts, instructions must be as vague as the ones in the A-1 kit.

Maybe... Is this one of their blue box kits with the bag photocopy instructions? I'm just wondering about the quality of the decals really for the A-4....

• Like 1

Just now, Adam Poultney said:

Maybe... Is this one of their blue box kits with the bag photocopy instructions? I'm just wondering about the quality of the decals really for the A-4....

The one with the blue box with the photocopied instructions indeed.

As for the decals, I believe they behaved like that due to age/poor storage by the original owner, other Revell decals move from the backing paper after 20 seconds of being submerged in warm water.

@Thom216 @opus999 @Bish @clive_t thank you all for the support.

The model is coming along nicely, I just come from matt varnishing it. I'll keep building it by painting the dive brakes with the underwing crosses colours, and then onto the props and gear doors. Clear parts will be an unfunny challenge due to the framing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, coolhand said:

Hi 

Great build so far. Just wondering what revell colours you used, out of tin or custom mixes? 

Andy

I used Revell colours 40, 39, 49, 78, 15, 8, all of them put of the tin.