1/72 Hasegawa MiG-23MF Indian Air Force SK434

Madmaks

Not as good as the academy kit but the Hasegawa Mig-23 kit does build fast. That said, I always get thrown off by kits that are a mix of raised and engraved panel lines because it makes it a little more challenging for me to make the paint job more interesting, especially since I was going for a Tipnis Grey finish. This was a straight OOB build. I broke the pitot tube early in the process and when I couldn't get a metallic pin to stick as a replacement, I fashioned a new one from my spares box. - I believe an old matchbox SHAR pitot tube. All colors are Tamiya. I used Sky Grey (XF19) for Tipnis Grey and gave it a black wash before sealing. The decals are mostly from the Hi Decal sheet for the MiG-23BN as I assumed they will be fairly similar. The Serial numbers are Berna Decals.  I chose SK434 as it is still around as an attraction at the Indian Air Force Museum in Delhi. I hope you like this build. Comments are always welcome - thx for looking!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 21

1 hour ago, ArmouredSprue said:

That's a very nice model mate. Do you reckon the Academy is a better kit overall?

Thanks @ArmouredSprueand yes, though it's just my personal opinion. The academy kit has all engraved lines and a smidgen more in the cockpit compared to Hasegawa. One fellow model builder who is a MiG guru also mentioned that the Academy kit is the closet to an MF at 1/72 scale. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I wasn't till I saw this but am certainly thinking to check out the options now, I'd like to do some Indian schemes.

Steve.

@stevehnz I would suggest the academy kit. The great thing about most cold war airplanes is that so many countries used a remarkable array of schemes on their aircraft. Bharat-rakshak.com has some real nice reference pictures for IAF migs http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Galleries/Aircraft/Vintage/Fighters/MiG23MF/

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I wasn't till I saw this but am certainly thinking to check out the options now, I'd like to do some Indian schemes.

Steve.

There were some great schemes on Indian machines right up to the 1990s, Steve. If you are partial to MIG-21s, Su-7s, or MIG-23s :)

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

There were some great schemes on Indian machines right up to the 1990s, Steve. If you are partial to MIG-21s, Su-7s, or MIG-23s :)

The MiG 29s as well. Many of the more interesting paint schemes came about I believe for identification during air combat training sorties - here is a previous Italeri build:

spacer.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Madmaks said:

The MiG 29s as well. Many of the more interesting paint schemes came about I believe for identification during air combat training sorties - here is a previous Italeri build:

spacer.png

If you can find a kit of the RV MiG-21bis Indian marks you will get many great colourful markings :)

Martin

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

If you can find a kit of the RV MiG-21bis Indian marks you will get many great colourful markings :)

Martin

Never tried my hand at a RV kit. Might be time :)