Canadian Tank Crew Korean War

fatfingers

How do chaps,

Decided that my next armour build will be the Tamiya M4A3 HVSS Sherman. I'll be doing this as a Canadian tank from the Korean War. Suitable decals have been sourced and ordered today (Star Decals) My question is would some of the figures from the Bronco British AFV Crew set be suitable? The ones I have in mind are wearing the Pixie Suit. I'm not after 100% accuracy but I don't want them to look 'wrong' either.

Hopefully one of our Canadian cousins can provide the answer.

Many thanks,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers

Photos suggest that they wore a variety of uniforms including the Canadian version of battledress (a greener shade than the British one), black RTR-type overalls and a 3/4 length jacket similar to the British "No2 Dress" or pre-battledress jacket.  Black berets were the common headgear.  Winter parkas similar to the US type were issued.  No evidence of Pixie Suits that I have seen.

As you note, Canada used US-provided M4A3E8s in Korea rather than taking their own M4A2E8s.  Diesel fuel might have been a problem with everything else there being petrol.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info @Das Abteilung

Had a feeling that pixie suits would be a no go. May have a suitable figure or two somewhere. As i said, not too worried about total accuracy. The tracks in the kit are T66 and from the pics i've seen all the Canadian Shermans were fitted with T80. Ain't too worried about that though.

Regards,

Steve

British tank crew in overalls or shirtsleeves might do.  Canucks wore their berets differently to Brits, more like the US style.  A little larger and not pulled so tightly and with the crown making a little "roof" over the cap badge.  As in the top photo below.

There is a question of what headgear they wore in the tanks.  As they were given US tanks it seems logical that they used the WW2-type US-style tank helmets, still in use in Korea.  In which case, US tank crew in overalls or shirts might work too.

There are a couple of photos out there of T66 tracks still in use on M4A3E8 in Korea - in 1 case passing a burning T-34/85 so definitely not mistaken for NWE.  But yes, the Canadian tanks seem to have used T80s.  Many had spare links fitted to the hull and turret sides.  Strangely, British Centurion links rather than US types.  Spare T80 links often on the hull fronts.  Note forward-mounted M2 HMGs

SEr9lbM.jpg D Squadron Royal Canadian Dragoons

2 tanks of Lord Strathcona's Horse.  Note the leather gauntlets worn by crew members on the right.

QnsAPKn.jpg  sJGCWcs.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks @Das Abteilung

Some more great info there. Was having a mooch round ebay at lunchtime and stumbled across the Tamiya M4A3E8 Korean War version. Didn't realise Tamiya had kitted this! Suffice to say it was ordered as it was a goodly price and should be with me middle of next week. It has T80 track and the dust cover on the mantlet which is very obvious on the photo's above. Will just have to hope the minister for war and finance doesn't rumble it! 

Regards,

Steve