Revell 1/48 F-89D Scorpion

reini

On 10/10/2019 at 19:44, f111guru said:

Fantastic work on the decals. Very impressed with the outcome. Looked real orange peel on the paper and transitioned smooth when set.

Ron VanDerwarker

Thanks. It's not as smooth as it looks at a distance, but certainly smoother than it looked on the decal sheet. I applied Liquid Decal Film on the decal sheet as they looked really dry - wanted just to be sure they don't break - but maybe I was bit too heavy handed with my application as it went orange peel once dry. Not all the decals but some of them. But luckily Micro Sol is pretty good stuff, it ironed out most of the wrinkles so that I'm happy enough with the end result, not needing to find alternative solutions.

spacer.png

On 10/10/2019 at 21:18, Graham T said:

Watching......watching.  Got this to do soon.  It's quite hard to find nowadays.  I had an example about 5-6 years ago but foolishly let it go.  Searched for a reasonably priced replacement for about 4 years.

When I originally started this hobby with my dad - he bought a lot of kits. Many of which I never got around building as Warhammer miniatures took over soon enough - but we still enjoyed the kits & hobby in a way or another, I collected vietnam era 1/72 planes for example. This was early '90s. Then I basically forgot about the hobby for 20+ years - until this year. During that time my dad has sold major part of his stash and most of the jets too as they weren't his major interest. But he had couple older jets which he liked enough to keep, even if he wasn't sure if he ever got around building them. And this Revell Scorpion was one of the kits he saved and I'm glad he did. It's pretty impressive plane & kit despite some of the awkwardness & clunkiness of it all - I'm pretty excited to see how the end result looks.

So I hope you find the kit again :) 

• Like 2

I use both the Micro Scale Micro Sol and Solvaset by Walthers. Walthers is a model train manufacturer and distributor plus a online retailer. I think I may have a few bottles of Micro set too. Thinking back over the years I had an issue with micro scale, super scale and a few other companies that made thin decals. These would dry out or loose there flexibility and fall apart when hit with water. What I found was I would coat them with either gloss or semi gloss overcoat. Just as you would before starting to decal. For the most part it worked fine for me.

I think but haven't gone through my stash, have 2 maybe 3 Scorpions. I bought an estate sale and the stash of a dear friend who lost his eye sight to cancer at a very early age. He had 1 also. My original kit I started but the fuselage was so badly warped I cut the engine doors out to make it with engines. Hoping to ease the warpage. It's still in the box that way and will get back to it sometime. Similar to this: 

F-89J_124th_FIS_Iowa_ANG_1968

Keep up the great work

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2

Starting to add the final touches. And like I normally do, I break off things I've just glued as fast as I keep gluing them back on :Dspacer.png

Some of the joints aren't the most durable, like this forward section of the rocket/fuel tank. only broke it off once, though.

spacer.png

Cockpit coming together - it proved to be a major pain even if it seemed simple. I kept knocking off things I already glued, some I glued tilted to the sides and had to be re-glued, some parts wouldn't just fit together at all etc. Bit vague fit of the parts did not help.

spacer.png

Rear cockpit windshield was the biggest problem, it just did not fit with the dashboard. After much swearing & sanding I finally got an 'ok' fit.

spacer.png

Cockpit finally done! Then I'll be doing some final touch ups, some minor weathering and I'm calling this done.

• Like 8

Great work and persistence on the kit. Thought it might be a total pain in the ....! But with all good intentions it's coming together. I do believe we all have been there once or twice hmmm, maybe more.

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

On 14/10/2019 at 18:50, f111guru said:

Great work and persistence on the kit. Thought it might be a total pain in the ....! But with all good intentions it's coming together. I do believe we all have been there once or twice hmmm, maybe more.

Ron VanDerwarker

Indeed. I tried not to stress about the kit too much, did not wan't to get bogged down on the kit & my build mistakes too much. I try to keep my Shelf of Doom empty as possible (occupation 2 at the moment). Sometimes you really want to perfect something and go into the nitty & gritty to put out the absolute best you can - but sometimes you just wanna build it OOB and see how cool the plane looks in the end. And I think this was one of the latter builds :)

Anyway, here is the end result:

This will go into my dad's collection - but I think I will enjoy it a bit before giving it away. Here's a pic of the Scorpion alongside F-102 Delta Dagger - which BTW shows perfectly how big of a plane the Scorpion really is. I mean Delta Dagger is BIG (same length as WW2 heavy bombers) - but it really doesn't look like it alongside Scorpion.

spacer.png

Thanks all for participating in this thread and giving your comments! I will be doing some work on Starfighters next - and If I have the time, some nice relaxing with Tamiya Thunderjets too - feel free to check out those WIP threads :)

• Like 5