Grant m/c guns

Don149

I`m just starting the new Mini Art Grant ,( sans interior ) ,and wondering about the two m/guns to the lower left of the driver . Were they ever used ? ,

and was it the driver who shot them ?, where was the sight ?. I remember seeing them on the Grant at Bovington  50 odd years ago and wondered

about them then . The model just reminded me . Apart from spraying in front of the tank I can`t see them being of much use ! .

Don .

From Wikipedia.....'There were also two .30-06 Browning M1919A4 machine guns mounted in the hull, fixed in traverse but adjustable in elevation, which were controlled by the driver. These were, due to coordination issues, removed, though they would be seen on early Sherman tanks.'

• Like 1

From the Shaddock Free Site;  http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/manufacturer/m3grant/m3grant.html

By the end of 1941, the US had shipped 4 M2A4 and 578 M3 Light Tanks to the Middle East. They came with fixed .30 caliber machine guns mounted in each sponson in the front. Crews soon determined that these were unnecessary and took up space that could better be utilized for additional stowage. In August, 1941, the MEE ordered the removal of the right side machine gun, followed by the elimination of the left in October. With the Grant, "Removal of twin Browning guns and plugging of holes" was introduced in April, 1942 at the same time as the "armoring bins" modification. As a result of this, it is thought that no Grants went into action with the fixed MGs installed. The US Army Ordnance Report included a photo (left) showing "Grant tank, plugged forward twin 30 cal. M.G. ports." In this case, a pair of steel rods appear to have been welded into the holes. They protrude somewhat, possibly to suggest "dummy guns." After its introduction, this modification would have been carried out in Base Workshops as new tanks were processed for issue. Several variations are observed in period photos, leading us to think that the method of "plugging of holes" of Grants already in the field was left up to the individual units. The right side photo shows the apertures welded up flush with the MG casting as seen on a surviving Grant known to have served in North Africa. This appears to have been the most typical method. A number of desert Grants are seen with open apertures, but with no machine guns evident. These may be cases where the guns were removed, but the plugging part of the mod was not carried out, or perhaps the holes were blanked off from the inside?

The same set up appeared on the very early Shermans, but were quickly removed and blanked off.

John.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Gents , you have answered my question . That`s an old "wondering " deleted .

Don .

• 2 weeks later...

Those twin .30 m/gs were retained on M3 Lees in Burma and found to be very useful in beating down Japanese infntry attacks on allied positions.  There are accounts of this in 'Tank Tracks to Rangoon' and another book I read years ago about the 14th Army. The tanks were formed in night  lager facing outwards with the infantry inside, like the old western wagon trains.  If and when the Japanese attacked, these M/Gs could put down heavy fire as could the turret guns, m/g and 37mm canister, plus if required the 75s would use short fused HE if possible.  A mortar team inside could also fire star shell to airburst  outside the perimeter as well as HE if it were safe to do so.

• Like 1