1965, the year of the Bronco...

John Masters

I have an affinity for STOL/FAC/COIN/ aircraft.  So versatile, so interesting to build and look at and, in this case, a long and storied career from 1965 to today.   I have a few others in the stash (Dragonfly, Do 27, Cessna) that I hope to get to this winter.  For this GB I will be building a the Bronco and, while I would like to double the GB with the Asia 80, I am not sure that I can.  There isn't enough information to confirm that the Indonesian aircraft is from the 1980s or earlier.  If anyone can shed some light...?

If that isn't the case then I have whole bunch of other options available on the off-market decal sheet: Venezuelan, Philippine, USA, Germany...

I get it going as soon as I have established a rhythm since I have just returned to the bench after a 2 month absence.  Here are some pictures.

This new Revell kit looks promising.  Clear instructions, nicely moulded plastic with no flash, decent detail.  Good looking clear parts too.  Let's hope it all fits together!

spacer.png

No flash that I can see...

spacer.png

Decals...I'll be using the kit supplied stencils as well.

spacer.png

This'll be fun!

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 9

Looks like you should have all the bits there, unlike the Airfix one I bought at a well known auction site. It was being sold by a well known charity who clearly had no idea about modelling so had not spotted that it had been started and that half the fuselage and tail booms were missing!

Good luck.

Pete

• Sad 1

Hello John... According to wiki they flew them from the mid 70’s thru at least 2013. I think you're good on usage in the 80’s. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Rockwell_OV-10_Bronco#Indonesia

Dennis 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Thanks Dennis.  That was my thinking too but there was nothing conclusive on the specific markings.  Having been given the go-ahead by the Mod I am going for Indonesia.  Amazing how long these birds flew, and are still being used.  A credit to their designers.

• Like 2

Thanks for starting this GB WIP John, the Bronco has always been one of those great versatile aircraft and it'll be great to see this 'new' Revell kit being built here. I've not come across this kit before, however it certainly looks nice and +1 for the Indonesian decals as well... that'll look great! 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

For 'new' Revell kit read 1999 mould Academy kit - see Scalemates linked here.  Its a lovely kit that has more than stood the test of time but aligning those clear parts for the canopy may be a challenge.  Definitely one to watch.

• Like 1

I have decided to keep this build here in this GB, which means I might build the Venezuelan aircraft.  I don't have one from that country.

Primed...

I am tempted to have some coffee and dig in on this one and another build tonight. getting back into the swing of things after my long bike ride has been difficult.

Coffee.  It helps.

spacer.png

--John

• Like 4

The cockpit parts come together easily enough.  No flash and minimum need for clean up.  The decals for the instruments are a nice touch.  Since this aircraft ha a far amount of glass, I wold love a basic tutorial on how to make this stuff really transparent and shiny.  I struggle with clear parts...I want the interior to be visible.

spacer.png

Once the cockpit is fully assembled, I will add a dry/wet wash to bring out some detail and even out the paint job.

--John

• Like 4

I have begin to assemble the fuselage and the booms.  I have also aded the nose weight or else it'll be a tail-sitter for sure.  Revell asks for 8g of weight in the nose and there isn't enough room.  So I have divided it up between the nose and amid-ships being the co-pilot.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Probably about 4g here...

spacer.png

And another 5g here...

spacer.png

--John

• Like 2

I have put together some big parts and some little parts.  The detail on the rocket tubes is pretty good.  I think I will need a bit of putty here and there on the wing joints.  Overall, I am happy with this Revell boxing.  Pretty tightly fitted and I had to scrape off primer to get it together.  Atest fit of the booms revealed a snug fit too.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 6

Great progress John, she’s all coming together rather well and it’s all looking great. Now keeping clear parts super clear is best done with the ‘dipping in a clear solution’ method. There are many products out there however not all are available in every country so it’s a bit hard to recommend something that might not be on sale where you live. Might be best to do some YouTube-ing to see what others have done as I’m sure you’ll get more out of that then reading my text! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Good news.. first test it on a spare scrap canopy prior to trying it on the model kit parts, you wouldn’t want to find out something sinister the hard way! 

Im not familiar with the Broncos clear bits however the main idea is to carefully and slowly dip your canopy into a pool of clear (with tweezers) and then slowly remove it once it’s fully covered. Place the part(s) on an absorbent paper towel so that the excess runs off before it dries. Depending on the canopy’s shape, this wicking process can also be done with a sharp and clean paintbrush as sometimes the clear wants to settle in small and tight areas. Once you’re happy with the wicking process, place the canopy in a dry and covered area so that dust doesn’t get to it. Leave it all for a number of hours (overnight?) and you should have yourself and nice clear canopy. If your not happy with it, I’ve have success with giving the canopy a second dip to restore any imperfections. 

If you get the wicking stage right, this method should work out for you most of the time. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Saw an article on You Tube a few years ago where they said any clear acrylic varnish will do as they thought the cult of "Future" was over-rated. I would be a little wary of using more than one coat as I found a tendency for the second coat to turn a little cloudy when it dried. Fortunately that cleared again when I brushed on normal modelling varnish. I guess the best way is to use as thin a coat as possible, as thick coats airbushed on kits can produce white powdery patches where it "puddles".

Pete

• Like 1

I'll have to experiment wit the Pronto as I am not 100% sure it is the stuff.  As for now, the clear pieces are quite translucent  and I have masked them whittle Eduard mask set for the Academy kit (of which this is the same, I think)  I have also prepped the whiz-bangs for painting.  Hmm...many pictures...

Looking about right...booms and tail fin attached.  No surprises.

spacer.png\\

Canopy masked...never fear, I noticed that skewed piece and have corrected it!

spacer.png

This is what's left, more or less.  Note that there are a couple of pieces in there that don't belong....don't worry folks!  No kit-bashing here!

spacer.png

Here's the rest...

spacer.png

An afternoon in the paintshop...

spacer.png

Some party favours...decals are supplied for the stencils.

spacer.png

spacer.png

--John

• Like 5

Thank you Dave.  I hope to get a fair amount accomplished in the next few days.  I have to be off-island and away from the bench (OIAFtB) starting Saturday, returning  next week.  I would like to get a touch-up primer on, some shading perhaps.  Since this is no longer in the running for the Asia 80s GB I might build it OOB as a US Marine aircraft.  Plenty of time to decide and I have an older Hasagawa kit on which I can use the AM decals...so nothing lost...

• Like 1