Airfix 1/72 Avro Vulcan B.2 XM597

Hi There,

Well, after 10 weeks of mainly sanding, filling and more sanding I give you my attempt at "The Grand Duchess of East fortune" XM597.

I had so much fun and enjoyment building this even when she was staring at me from the worktable telling me that it was due time I was working on her.

Primed with Halfords Plastic Primer Rattle Can as she was way to big for my spray booth and was done outside.

Painted with Tamiya Dark Sea Grey, Medium Seas Grey and Vallejo Modelair Dark Green.

The refuelling probe was from Master

The Decals were from Airframe Decals RAF V-Bombers Pt III.

Finished with three coats of Galeria Satin Varnish.

EQVB8nL.jpg

0DE0egr.jpg

hTdfRrp.jpg

xisfE5z.jpg

D56UCYg.jpg

TqJTOvS.jpg

4e0GPfA.jpg

End5brf.jpg

As always call comments and criticism gratefully received.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 32

1 minute ago, gazza l said:

Very nicely done.  I remember the sanding bit very well, I've made three of these beasts so far!

gazza l

Thank you Sir. 

You're a braver man than me. Although I really enjoyed the whole experience it made me feel like i'd really achieved something, the next time will be the new tool that Airfix are going to bring out. (Wishful Thinking)

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Very nice, my favourite aircraft, although I prefer the earlier B1 variant. Just think the green of the camouflage might want to be a tad thicker

Hi There,

Thanks for your comment and you are absolutely correct especially on the starboard wing. It's something I am trying to get right but my masking is still a process I need to work on. 

Could have been worse though, after a gloss coat and in the middle of doing the transfers i noticed that I had completely missed a patch of green on the starboard wing. Tried plastering the wing with AK putty and then hit the area I wanted with a bit of matt varnish then some Dark Green and to my astonishment ti worked but I now realise I should have used RobVulcan's advice to do the green first then mask or maybe I should pencil the lines in first. Will give these a try on the next one.

Cheers,

Alistair

2 minutes ago, RMCS said:

Lovley 

Thank you so much.

11 minutes ago, nick32 said:

Can't go wrong with a big Vulcan! Nice work, and i really like the stand too. 

Hi There,

Many Thanks for your kind words.

The stand was just kind of thrown together with the idea that it should work but in the words of Zaphod "I got Lucky"

Cheers,

Alistair

Love the Vulcan and love your build....never had the courage to attempt this kit yet, but I'd love to give it a bash when my skills improve.

Thoroughly approve of the East Fortune subject!!!

Most impressive - thanks for posting.

Q

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Its a nice display of a very iconic aircraft which I think you have done great justice to 👍

Thank you very much

9 minutes ago, Dr. Quack said:

Love the Vulcan and love your build....never had the courage to attempt this kit yet, but I'd love to give it a bash when my skills improve.

Thoroughly approve of the East Fortune subject!!!

Most impressive - thanks for posting.

Q

Many Thanks. The kit requires time and a lot of filler but is well worth the effort.

I have various other East fortune Aircraft in mind, namely the Komet and the Concorde amongst others.

As an aside I was talking to some of the staff at the Museum and they told me that it has now reached the top of the NMS funding list and they have purchased some adjoining land to build a new hangar. This will be for all their civil aircraft including the Concorde. The current Concorde hangar will become a cold war hangar with the Vulcan brought indoors and the paint work restored. that also means that the Buccaneer and the Phantom will be taken out of mothballs and displayed properly which made me a very happy bunny.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark4700 said:

Very nicely done. I built XH558 a couple of years ago and did the same idea with the stand. 

DSCN1087

Thank you 

Your Vulcan certainly looks very very professional and is a credit to you.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andwil said:

That’s an appliance every kitchen should have :winkgrin:

Seriously though, that is a fine model.

AW

Thanks for that.

To be honest it's so big it was the only way I could get photos here as the weather is pretty rotten at the moment. (On my days off too - there's a surprise)

Cheers,

Alistair