Revell 1/72 Heinkel He-177 A-5 & Fritz X

Nbali

Hy everyone,

I,m new here, and rookie in scale modeling. My new project is a Revell Greif. Can anyone help me what RLM colors were used to paint the original plane?

I'm interested in the aircraft on the box.

spacer.png

What color was Fritz X painted? Landing gear, and bomb-bay? RLM 02 color?

Thanks for a help!

And sorry for my poor english :) 

• Like 3

411436250.jpg

A = Vallejo Model Color 205 70855 Black Glaze = instrument panels, spinners

Humbrol Acrylic 85 Satin Coal Black = wheel hubs

B = Humbrol Acrylic AB0240 RLM02 Matt Grau = interior, nacelles

C = Vallejo Model Color 104 70884 Stone Grey = safety belts

D = Vallejo Model Color 164 70867 Dark Bluegrey = tyres

E = Vallejo Model Color 179 70863 Gunmetal Grey = MG 81, MG 151/20, 6 x MG 131

F = Vallejo Model Air 71044 Light Grey Green = upper surfaces

G = Humbrol Acrylic AB0241 RLM70 Schwartzgrun = propeller blades

H = Vallejo Model Color 178 70864 Natural Steel = SC250 bombs

I = Humbrol Acrylic 18 Gloss Orange

J = Humbrol Acrylic 113 Matt Rust = back rests, exhausts

K = Vallejo Model Color 133 70843 Cork Brown = seat cushions

L = 50% light green matt 55 + 20% grey may 57 + 30% 5 white = RLM 76 / Vallejo Model Color 153 70907 Pale Greyblue / Vallejo Model Air 71046 Pale Grey Blue / Humbrol Acrylic AB0247 RLM76 Lichtblau

M = RLM 65 / Vallejo Model Air 71008 Pale Blue = under surfaces

N = RLM 73 / Vallejo Model Air 71016 US Dark Green = disruptive camouflage

O = 90% Dust Grey matt 77 + 10% 5 white = RLM 75 / Humbrol Acrylic AB0246 RLM75 Grauviolett

Humbrol Acrylic 94 Matt Brown Yellow = safety belts

Vallejo Model Color 102 70830 German Fieldgrey WWII = SC250 bombs

Vallejo Model Color 67 70961 Sky Blue = SC250 bombs

Humbrol Acrylic 24 Matt Trainer Yellow = SC250 bomb tail cone stripe

Vallejo Model Color 101 70886 Green Grey = undercarriage

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nice catch, Nbali! Revell didn't do a very good job again! 

As for Fritz X colour, I always thought that Luftwaffe external stores were painted in an underside colour, RLM 65 or 76. IF on a night bomber, they would have had a quick coat of black brushed on.

Chris

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It isn't clear (at least to me) whether the He.177 normally carried one Fritz X or two on actual missions, but three would overload the poor thing.  Not to mention considerably shortening the range.

There are a number of interpretations of that particular scheme, which start with low demarcation 70/71 oversprayed with 76, and proceed through various options to a base of 74.  Close up pictures of different aircraft show different applications including at least one aircraft with three different colours on top.  Best to either just go with the kit instructions, or find photos and judge/estimate for yourself.

• Like 1

Graham Boak, I dont know, how many Fritz X carried the he-177 in a bombing sorite, I cant find photos. 

Maybe I only use 2 pieces on a completed Plane. According to the guide he-177 carried 3 pieces. As he had seen the bomb wings before, you can't believe this guide 100%.

Photos I've seen show one Fritz X on the centreline, or 2xHs293 on the wing pylons.  That doesn't mean that other combinations weren't carried sometimes, as the potential was built into the store positions, but for operational reasons this seems unlikely or at least rare.  Not only is your range shorter the more weapons you carry, but the bomber crew wouldn't want to hang around in the target area for long, as this would only permit the target's defences to hone their aim.

I must admit I'd love to do my He.177 in one of these schemes, which I find quite fascinating, but the night bomber one is also tempting...  I'd expect to find some of these aircraft in the maritime scheme with black bellies and sides, given the rapid transfer for Operation Steinbock, but I've never seen any photos like that.