United Planets C57D Space Cruiser ~~Finished~~

My entry is the United Planets C57D Space Cruiser from the 1956 movie Forbidden Planet.

The kit is from Polar Lights, and is the deluxe version that comes with an electronic lighting system for displaying the saucer's "in flight" faster-than-light drive engine.

spacer.png

Edited by Jb65rams
Title updated
  • Like 12

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/09/2019 at 18:06, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Robbie can do it quicker. 

Could definitely do with Robbie's help. Won't be able to start this until mid-November when I have some holiday booked.

Sprue shot below, not many parts.

spacer.png

Close up of the pre-built electronics, the LED lights and motor to spin the engine.

spacer.png

In the meantime I will try and review my references

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Having run out of time on my Sea Vixen build for the Year I was born GB, I am determined to finish something before Christmas when I have to return my modelling room back to a spare bedroom.

I made a start on this. Has only a few parts so progress was quite quick.

Stairways assembled and painted.

spacer.png

Stairs fitted to the saucer section, clamped to hold them in place. The ramps are spring operated to allow them to lock in either up or down position.

spacer.png

The electronic gizmos checked, all working.

spacer.png

The engine cover (for lack of a better description) painted. This will attach to the motor and spin to give the impression that the engine is working.

spacer.png

Finally I have joined the upper & lower saucer sections together. In a departure from the instruction I am going to prime it / paint it before installing the electronics. This will reduce the need for a lot of masking to protect them. The controls / battery will be installed under the domed section.

spacer.png

As you can see it fills the spray booth, about the size of a large dinner plate. No idea where I am going to display it.

• Like 3

Nice. I didn't know this one existed. The film is an old favourite of mine too. Bit's of it terrified me as a kid!

I built a large version of this for a mate years ago in Saudi. The discs were in segments and a pig to clamp and glue!

It had a pretty full interior fit, but I can't remember what brand it was. I think I have pictures somewhere on a hard drive.

• Like 1

Had the day off, so managed to crack on with this.

Into the paint booth, first time using Humbrol Metal Cote Spray - Polished Aluminium for the majority and Polished Steel for the saucer edge. Gave a good result.

spacer.png

Installed the electrics.

spacer.png

Engine test. Looks very effective with the LEDs and the spinning inner engine coil. If I can work out how to share video I will post one up.

spacer.png 

Finally added the dome and central landing leg and the build is complete. I really enjoyed this build, simple quick, after failing to finish a couple of other GBs this got my mojo back up and running.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Will take some better photos for the gallery over the weekend.

Now I have finished it leaves me one problem, where to put it as it won't fit any of my display cabinets.

• Like 6

Now That looks great. :clap2:... Now you should build a model of the landing site with the cannons and electronic fencing so it looks like the movie set ? It would make for some interesting conversations ? 😉 Just a suggestion. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

On 29/11/2019 at 17:38, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Now That looks great. :clap2:... Now you should build a model of the landing site with the cannons and electronic fencing so it looks like the movie set ? It would make for some interesting conversations ? 😉 Just a suggestion. 

Tempting. A quick google show that you an get an appropriately sized Robby the Robot. Also a company called Lunar Models produced a Forbidden Planet Set which includes the disintegrator guns, vehicles, crew, and the Id Monster.  No idea of scale and guess it is long out of production.

spacer.png 

• Like 4