I'll be killing two ducks with one stone with this one. 😂 

The very nice old Airfix kit of the Grumman Duck will provide an excellent base for this GB and I'll be double posting along with the Film and Fictional GB by constructing Murphy's resurrected Duck from the film 'Murphy's War' starring Peter O'Toole.  The Wiki is here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy's_War

spacer.png

I have the correct decals for the roundels and plenty of little RAF letters to write the name of the merchant ship and registration on the side.  

spacer.png

I'll get into it as soon as the F&F GB begins on a few days! 

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
date!
  • Like 10

That is a really old boxing of the Duck you have there John, the older Airfix boxings of kits of this age tend to go together much easier than the later moldings so hopefully yours will behave.

Always had a soft spot for Murphy's War (and the Duck) since seeing the film as a kid many years ago, will you be building her with the makeshift "bombs" under the wings?

Hi John!

Welcome to the GB! Nice choice of subject! I've built the Airfix Duck early after my return to modelling. It was a recent reboxing and nothing fitted, it was a real challenge. In the end I managed to make a good looking model.

How should we classify the Duck? Is it a flying boat or a floatplane? Since it has a hull-shaped main float, we could think of it as a small flying boat. Or is it better classified as a float plane because there are floats under the wings?

Good luck!

Jaime

• Like 2

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

the makeshift "bombs"

Yes!  And the oil drum floats on the center pontoon...isn't there a torpedo somewhere as well?  I have re-screen the film.

5 hours ago, jrlx said:

Is it a flying boat or a floatplane?

It's a Duck...😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Okey-dokey...

Here's a good pic...from the film...The Airfix kit comes with a clear stand for flight and I will be using that.  So it is wheel's up for Murphy!  I will have to fix the pilot to look more like O'Toole...

spacer.png

Here are the sprue shots...all parts present and accounted for!

spacer.png

And here is something fun.  On the right is the Airfix kit-supplied Wright R-1820.  Much too small really and not what I want for the exposed engine on Murphy's aircraft.  On the left is another Wright R-1820, in this case cannabalized from the Northrop Gamma 2E from Azur.  I will have to do a little sculpting to finish the nose of the Airfix kit, but that will be fun.  I will also have to construct some exhaust pipes!  So a little scratch building will be necessary.  

spacer.png

And away we go!

-John

• Like 8

For a second I was a bit baffled as to the assembly of the cockpit interior and all the little bulkheads, etc...I am so used to having plans that detail each slot/tab, etc...I had forgotten the older style instructions wherein one really had to read through the text to figure out what to do.  

For those of you following along at home, I have completed steps 1 through  9.  I wanted to do this so I could glue the interiors together and then prime the inside.  I will insert the cockpit module today and prime it.  

spacer.png

8 pieces make up this assembly.  

spacer.png

The glass is in, the wheel-well bulkhead is attached and the instrument panel is glued in place.  I have also put together the wing pontoons.  Busy work really.

spacer.png

--John

• Like 12

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I remember this kit from years ago

Thanks Steve.  I remember it too.  As I recall it was the perfect kit for an eager 8 year-old modeller.  Still is...and in many ways, I still am!  :clap:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Cockpit module inserted and glued...windows masked inside and out...

spacer.png

..and primed with Dark Sea Grey.  I am not going to fool around with a lot of interior detail.  None of it will be seen anyway. 

spacer.png

All closed up!  And, yes, I removed the interior window masks beforeI did this!  It fit together pretty well but, as you can see, I still had to use some high-tech clamps to fix it thusly!

spacer.png

This will be Murphy.  I'll try to make him a little more articulated somehow.  

spacer.png

--John

• Like 11

I figured that the most difficult aspects of this build would be some of the scratch building, but it wasn't so hard.  I have constructed the exhaust from some Evergreen tube strengthened with some brass wire inside to retail's the shape.  I will finish painting the motor later.

spacer.png

As I recall, in the scene when Murphy first gets her off the water (and indeed most of the film) and into the sky he is wearing a floppy sort of worn out Alagash/boonie hat.

spacer.png

I have begun a bit of work.  Needs a bit more up top.  I'll round off his noggin.  

spacer.png

--John

• Like 12

I have filled out the area with Milliput that would have been covered by the cowling.  I think it looks pretty good.  When it is thoroughly dried I will fine-shape it.  

spacer.png

Alas...I will never be a milliner but I think Murphy's hat looks the part!

spacer.png

--John

• Like 13

Most of the wings are on.  I was impressed by the lack of gaps.  These old Airfix kits were moulded very well.  At this point I am thinking of covering up the cockpit area and beginning primer stage.  I think I am at that point.

spacer.png

I have painted Murphy.  That's as much as he'll get since he'll be ensconced in the cockpit anyway.  It's the hat that's important anyway.

spacer.png

And the motor/exhaust assembly is finished.  

spacer.png

So...yes.  Time for primer!

--John

• Like 7

I have used a black primer from Vallejo.  This is because the blue paint for the aircraft is quite dark.  And also I have it and want t use it up.

Everything is primed and ready for paint.  I think I might attach some struts and make sure they are all aligned.  I will attach the upper wing afterwards.  Does this make sense to you all?

spacer.png

I also need to drill holes for the rigging after the blue paint goes on...

--John

• Like 8