This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhoenixII

What new stuff have you bought/been gifted? Part III

On 1/29/2020 at 4:17 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

CH-54A Tarhe. Now if someone would do some Erikson decals and a fire fighting conversion........

Nice find. Which rock was that one hiding under ? :)

I’m a convert to perfect plastic putty as it’s amazing. Vallejo do an inferior version but this stuff is a lifesaver 

9 minutes ago, IanHx said:

Nice find. Which rock was that one hiding under ? :)

A member was having a stash thinning. It was free.

An Italeri F-5E off eBay for just over five quid, posted. There's no decals, but I wouldn't have used them anyway.

Now all I need is someone to release a set of 527th AS decals. Hey, TwoBobs, how about those 1/72 sheets you promised all those years ago? 

13 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

a tube of this after a few kind bods pointed out.

It does dry out over time, but as it's water soluble it can be revived with a couple of drops of water in the tube when it's getting too dry to use.

Another already started rally car!

photo-th.jpg

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

It does dry out over time, but as it's water soluble it can be revived with a couple of drops of water in the tube when it's getting too dry to use.

Good tip I heard from @perdu was to put a small drop of water in the top of the tube before closing it - hasn't dried out since.

Keith

4 hours ago, Gorby said:

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Good tip I heard from @perdu was to put a small drop of water in the top of the tube before closing it - hasn't dried out since.

Keith

Cheers lads, I have this stuff before but it went pooh on me, and I had just used up my Vallejo putty which I got when Modelzone was open.

Simon.

Pixnor Tweezers as recommended by loads of people. My pound shop tweezers have gone now. What a difference!

I also bought an Armourfast Cromwell set (1/72 pack of 2).  Looks like a fun little build to practice weathering and maybe make a diorama. 

On 1/29/2020 at 9:15 PM, klr said:

I have both the 1990 Revell release with US Army and German markings and the 2001 release, which also has the Erickson markings as an option. Also, the decal quality is much better in the newer release. Those Revell decals from the late 1980s/early 1990s were very poor.

Check -  https://www.facebook.com/pg/Lone-Star-Models-213417762396858/posts/?ref=page_internal  -  at the moment it is the latest posting on Lone Star's Facebook page with details of a Helitanker Conversion and Decals for the Revell kit being prepared.

1 hour ago, Des said:

Check -  https://www.facebook.com/pg/Lone-Star-Models-213417762396858/posts/?ref=page_internal  -  at the moment it is the latest posting on Lone Star's Facebook page with details of a Helitanker Conversion and Decals for the Revell kit being prepared.

Guess who's a happy bunny now!

36 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Guess who's a happy bunny now!

The S-64 is an amazing aircraft , had one overhead a couple of years back on its way from the local docks where it had been off-loaded to a power line job further north and later dealt with Erikson to do a photo walkround which sadly due to a change in management never made it into print but even more impressive up close and the guys from Erikson are infectious in their enthusiasm for and knowledge of the the aircraft and its outstanding abilities.

An Xtrakit Spitfire XII popped up on eBay for a not unreasonable buy it now price and, being only* human, I couldn't really say no. They don't turn up often these days and when they do, they go for a fair bit more than I'm prepared to pay.

* Mrs lasermonkey prefers the word "barely" in this particular setting.

Can people stop posting tool buys on here please. My bank balance begs you!😀 bought some punches now

9 minutes ago, Wince said:

Can people stop posting tool buys on here please. My bank balance begs you!😀 bought some punches now

I bought a set of punches and have used them three times, which is like $10 per punch. Possibly more, but the veil of time has mercifully closed upon my memory of the exact price.

Mine were £5. I will use them as will be detailing up a 1-24th 109 soon. I also want to do a bit of scratch building. It’s a grown up version of toys buying tools.

To add to my Infinity CR Plus, Neo for Iwata, H&S Ultra, Paasche clone, Aztek 470 and Badger 250

IMG_2015

Technically, I now have an airbrush for every day of the week. 

A ticket to see Midway at the cinema tonight.

After @Booty003's thread on his Academy F-8E build, I knew I needed one. ;) Serendipity rewarded me with one on the local auction site at a seriously good price. Pick me, pick me. :D It turned up today & I was chuffed to see the decals were by Cartograph. Thanks Phil for the inspiration. :) 

Steve.

An Electro Harmonix Polyphase clone circuit board. I love phaser (guitar) pedals. At last count I think I have seventeen different phasers! Anyway, ten quid for the PCB seemed pretty reasonable, though I have to get three dual optocouplers for the build, which I gather will be a bit pricey. I do like opto phasers though. There's something very fluid and vowel-like about the tone. 

This is will be something like my 130th pedal. As in 130 currently owned. In my defence, I make them for something that approximates a living, so most of them I have either built myself or have bought broken and subsequently fixed. Knowing what makes the various pedals sound different is essential for me, which is a good excuse that I'm sticking to!

And for anyone that says, "but you can't use them all at once!", there's a video out there of someone doing just that.....

Also, My Bloody Valentine. (A band, for those that don't know.)

Airfix Spitfire XIV.

Matt's elegant yet beguilingly simple conversion of this kit to a high back XIV has given me hope for my long planned 132 Sqn build.

AMP Supermarine S5 and Mikro Mir DH 88 Comet both in 1/48 just arrived from Ukraine.

Established a moratorium on kit buying after financial embarrassment last week finding my card declined and finding the balance almost zero after I was forced to leave my shopping (as it happened was a whole conflux of issues and not just my overspending thats now sorted fortunately)  and the fact I've been buying about 5 for every 1 that ends up being built.  But was priming some sprues when the white primer ran so took a trip to halfords. 

I just found an old, long out of print Xtradecal sheet of Lakenheath based aircraft on eBay and decided I couldn't miss this one. I've only seen two more of these in eBay since I've been looking and got outbid both times. The buy it now price was reasonable enough, so I didn't hesitate.

I noticed that this sheet contains F-4D 65-7502 (also featured on their later, UK-based F-4 sheet) and includes the correct gear door numbers and has the prominent crew name panel which is missing from the later sheet. As I particularly wanted to built this aircraft, I'm quite pleased.