As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhoenixII

What new stuff have you bought/been gifted? Part III

Thanks to the tip off from @Rodders154 4 cans of Cellulose Thinners from Lidl. Should last me a while 😉

Regards,

Steve

Nipped over to Halifax Modellers World today and picked up the new Black Mike boxing of the Airfix 1/72 McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1.

A Hasegawa 1/72 F-111D/F off eBay. While it wasn't exactly a bargain (let's face it, it was never going to be!), it was less than my maximum bid, and I've consistently been outbid on these for years. I'm chuffed to get it, as it's an important part of my East Anglian collection. I do have an old Esci/Ertl -F which I remember getting for a surprisingly low price some time back, but I understand that it's maybe not all it should be. I'm not really up to speed on the F-111.

From The Works at Colton Leeds,

Haynes HMS Warrior manual. Interesting book thus far.

Regards,

Steve

Late Crimbo pressy. The Ladybird book of The Shed. Brilliant. (printed in England. If wet, Italy) :laugh:

Eight Modeldecal sheets off that there eBay. Two pounds fifty each, including postage. Bosh!

Pulled a trade with a fellow member in France, Kiwi scooter bits for Pips Priller decals.  pLBZ9Jy.jpg

QYBcwK3.jpg

received a bonus set for F-4 Phantoms from my wants list. NxW1WHQ.jpg

Really happy to get sone VF-74 Phantom markings. 

PFUpf05.jpg

Dennis

Victim of trigger finger, an already started Revell Concorde, not really sure why I bid so high especially without checking if the postage kept it in bargain territory which it didn’t 

A brand new DVD of the 1983 movie The Keep by the director Michael Mann.  Apparently this is the first time it has been available on DVD.

On 1/22/2020 at 7:13 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Speaking of trains, In the past two days I've had four ancient Airfix railway wagons delivered. All sourced from the bay at decent prices, they must be nigh on 60 years old.

Does that make them antiques? And no, I don't even have a model railway! I just like these kits for their nostalgic value. Plus, they can only go up in value. Maybe.

And, if you must know, Guards van, Presflo cement wagon, mineral wagon and a cattle wagon. Lovely crisp mouldings and all perfectly preserved.

Presumably they are the Hornby Dublo with plastic bodies and metal underframe. They are nice mouldings and the cement, mineral and catlle wagon are still available from Dapol, albeit with plastic underframes. Accuracy wise the mineral wagon is too long, bring designed for the HD standard 10ft wb underframe when the real thing had a 9ft wb. The cattle and cement wagons both have  issues with the wheelbase as they stand, but for the period they were wonderful wagons compared to was what else was available. Price wise HD seems to be seesaw at the moment, a few years ago prices were high, but seem to have come down a bit on items I have been interested in. If you find a good HD ICI bogie tank wagon cheaply, buy it as they seem to hold value as they are comparatively rare, coming at the end of HD's life as an independent entity. 

From BNA Models in Australia, a nice stout box with a Revell Royal Navy  F-4U-1B & a  Fujimi F-86-F40, both 1/72.

Steve.

From Tornado models in Birmingham, some Tamiya NATO green for some AFV builds; And from Bloomsbury, 3 more books in the 33 1/3 series.

SAM_8857

I've got Blue Lines on CD, but it's proving very difficult - even on ebay - to get the Switched on Bach and Wild Tchoupitoulas on CD. Switched on Bach ought to be readily available on CD, as it is and certainly was at the time an important development in using synths in modern music, but the latter, the Wild Tchoupitoulas, are a band I'd never heard of before. Apparently they are a cajun style band, the album was released in 1976.

I've almost finished the Blue Lines book, and I have to say I'm not particularly enthused about the book. The music? A different matter altogether!

One of these:

spacer.png

I was attempting to do a 1/72 Saudi F-15S the old fashioned way using the Hasegawa/Revell F-15E rebox from 2001 and the now OOP Wolfpack Designs Strike Eagle Update set. However the resin CFTs wouldn't straighten out properly no matter what I tried, so I bit the bullet and ordered the the current F-15E kit for the bits I need.

A rather expensive conversion set, but it does mean I now have a de-facto F-15D to build as well. Might make it Lakenheath or Israeli, not sure yet.

Mike.

While dropping some stuff off at our local hospice charity shop, I noticed a small red circle on a box on a shelf. I peered ... could it be .... yes, an Airfix kit !

Indeed, it was the Sd KFZ 250/3 Greif, Rommel's command vehicle. The box was battered (but not too thickly, more like a tempura .. Oh, get on with t!) and I casually asked  "how much?"

Answer came £5. Hmmm, I thought, does this 1/32 kit in a battered box represent good value for money as I counted £7 ( a bit extra, (the hospice were marvellous in helping out when my mother in law neared the end) and the deal was done.

Getting it home, I discovered it had been started, but not too much - and though there were some flaws in the making, (eg sprue gates not cleaned off) it wasn't too bad.

Funny scale though, 1/32.  Not sure I knew about this scale, anyone have any background?

SAM_8859

SAM_8860

4 hours ago, Whofan said:

While dropping some stuff off at our local hospice charity shop, I noticed a small red circle on a box on a shelf. I peered ... could it be .... yes, an Airfix kit !

Indeed, it was the Sd KFZ 250/3 Greif, Rommel's command vehicle. The box was battered (but not too thickly, more like a tempura .. Oh, get on with t!) and I casually asked  "how much?"

Answer came £5. Hmmm, I thought, does this 1/32 kit in a battered box represent good value for money as I counted £7 ( a bit extra, (the hospice were marvellous in helping out when my mother in law neared the end) and the deal was done.

Getting it home, I discovered it had been started, but not too much - and though there were some flaws in the making, (eg sprue gates not cleaned off) it wasn't too bad.

Funny scale though, 1/32.  Not sure I knew about this scale, anyone have any background?

It's from the mid-1970s, before 1/35 was firmly established as the de facto large scale for armoured vehicle kits and suchlike. Airfix also had a 1/32 kit of the Crusader tank and of the 17-pounder anti-tank gun I think. And many sets of figures, including the multipose sets.

Here's the Scalemates page for the original release of the 250/3, which is exactly what you have:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-06501-6-half-track-sd-kfz-250-3--130015

Edited by klr

After failing to find a local source of xps foam for diorama work, I've had to order some 6mm and 40mm boards online. 

Where I will put them so the missus doesn't complain is another matter.  My hobby space is quite small. 

Star Trek Discovery, USS Enterprise NCC-1701 from Polar Lights ( POL971M ).

5 hours ago, klr said:

It's from the mid-1970s, before 1/35 was firmly established as the de facto large scale for armoured vehicle kits and suchlike. Airfix also had a 1/32 kit of the Crusader tank and of the 17-pounder anti-tank gun I think. And many sets of figures, including the multipose sets.

Here's the Scalemates page for the original release of the 250/3, which is exactly what you have:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-06501-6-half-track-sd-kfz-250-3--130015

Many thanks for this. seeing this boxing was from 1975, I wondered how long it's been since whoever started it, and why it ended up unfinished. I'll never know, unfortunately.

Armour hasn't featured much in my modelling over the years, apart from making the 1/76 Airfix offerings (e.g. 88mm gun, 17pdr, churchill, panther etc) back in the '60's) so I kind of accepted 1/35 as the de facto standard. I have started to dabble a bit recently, which I suspect is the reason for this impulse buy.

Did anyone else make armour kits in 1/32, or was it just Airfix?

A search on scalemates for Airfix 1/32 reveals the Crusader and M3 tanks and, a spoof kit in the shape of a Hillman Hunter!

1250001-26866-64-pristine.jpg

Have a search on ebay, and other stuff should turn up, though it may be early Japanese and could have provision for an electric motor. Thus compromising accuracy.

Those spoof box tops are great.

Regards

Robert

Edited by Robert

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

A search on scalemates for Airfix 1/32 reveals the Crusader and M3 tanks and, a spoof kit in the shape of a Hillman Hunter!

1250001-26866-64-pristine.jpg

Imagine how much that would fetch on flea bay now if it was real...!! (I'd love one to do a copy of a Holbay Hunter rally car I once saw!)

4 hours ago, Whofan said:

Did anyone else make armour kits in 1/32, or was it just Airfix?

Renwal released a series of post-war US Military kits , including - Atomic Cannon , SP Gun , Ontos , Skysweeper AA Gun , some Tanks as well as some Missile systems and their launchers etc in 1/32 some of which were also released in the UK by FROG and some reboxed by Revell including more recently as part of their Historic Kits type series.

Monogram also produced a couple of their military kits as 1/32 although most of their military series is now marked as 1/35.

Lindberg likewise had a few tanks in 1/32.

The Airfix range of 1/32 vehicle kits also included a Humber Staff Car.

From what I recall the Airfix kits were as mentioned meant to complement their 1/32 multi-pose range as well as the softer polythene complete figures which were also accompanied by a number of WWII and contemporary completed vehicles in a slightly harder plastic.

Might be more out there to find using searches on Scalemates with various company names and 1/32 as search terms .

1 hour ago, Des said:

Renwal released a series of post-war US Military kits , including - Atomic Cannon , SP Gun , Ontos , Skysweeper AA Gun , some Tanks as well as some Missile systems and their launchers etc in 1/32 some of which were also released in the UK by FROG and some reboxed by Revell including more recently as part of their Historic Kits type series.

Monogram also produced a couple of their military kits as 1/32 although most of their military series is now marked as 1/35.

Lindberg likewise had a few tanks in 1/32.

The Airfix range of 1/32 vehicle kits also included a Humber Staff Car.

From what I recall the Airfix kits were as mentioned meant to complement their 1/32 multi-pose range as well as the softer polythene complete figures which were also accompanied by a number of WWII and contemporary completed vehicles in a slightly harder plastic.

Might be more out there to find using searches on Scalemates with various company names and 1/32 as search terms .

This is really interesting stuff, thanks. I’ve known of course that there have been some odd scales used in kits - 1/100 comes to mind - but as I said originally, I hadn’t been aware of military vehicles in 1/32 before this.

It’s a bit like VHS v Beta, 1/32 v 1/35, and there was only one winner.