This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhoenixII

What new stuff have you bought/been gifted? Part III

Well...

49423989458_6b6ae1b95a_b.jpg

Couldn't resist this one. I need a 1/72nd scale Herman Göring to go with it.

And then there’s this...

49423989723_49a8a1826a_b.jpg

Oh my. :penguin:

A quick peek in the box, and surprisingly it’s all there, even the decals, props and metal parts. The transparencies haven’t yellowed, either, at least not significantly. Best Beloved wants me to start it right away. I rather think it’ll be some time before it sees sharp implements and emery paper. I might make an effort to get parts for it to "upgrade" things like engine cowlings and interior fittings, weapons and so on.

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

Well...

49423989458_6b6ae1b95a_b.jpg

Couldn't resist this one. I need a 1/72nd scale Herman Göring to go with it.

Do you mean Erwin Rommel?

He's in the kit.

The old Airfix 1/76 Afrika Korps had an officer which would be Rommel or Goring depending on how you paint him

Bottom row on right

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=362

1 minute ago, Black Knight said:

He's in the kit.

What, in a little urn?

4 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I suppose he’d do. I expect to build the model to represent a plane being used in France 1940. :)

1 minute ago, Heather Kay said:

I suppose he’d do. I expect to build the model to represent a plane being used in France 1940. :)

thas ok.

Goring preferred the comfort of a Ju52 though

53 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

thas ok.

I thought he was all about his special train?

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

thas ok.

Probably because he could fit his fat butt in the Ju 52.

Simon.

28 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Probably because he could fit his fat butt in the Ju 52.

Simon.

Would a Storch have got off the ground if Der Dicke had been sat in it?

Speaking of trains, In the past two days I've had four ancient Airfix railway wagons delivered. All sourced from the bay at decent prices, they must be nigh on 60 years old.

Does that make them antiques? And no, I don't even have a model railway! I just like these kits for their nostalgic value. Plus, they can only go up in value. Maybe.

And, if you must know, Guards van, Presflo cement wagon, mineral wagon and a cattle wagon. Lovely crisp mouldings and all perfectly preserved.

2 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

perfectly preserved.

Including the rubber bands for the Dublo couplers?

As to value, well, I don’t think they’re ever going to be worth that much.

3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

That's probably because the man could barely squeeze into a Storch ! 

Two of these arrived today:

Academy 1/72 P-39 Q/N Airacobra

107424-11185-53-pristine.jpg

An American and a Soviet plane can be built with the decals that come in the box.

Cheers

Jaime

I picked up another Airfix B-24J and with it a Hasegawa P-47D from a well known auction site. After checking on here it would appear that the consensus is that the P-47 may not be Hasagawa's finest moment! What to do? Well go and buy a Tamiya P-47D "bubbletop" and a Revell P-47M obviously and why not get a couple of books on the P-47, Roger Freeman's Thunderbolt: The Documentary History Of The Republic P-47 and Edward Shacklady's P-47 Thunderbolt while I'm at it. 

Still trying to work out what it is about the Thunderbolt that induced such madness but at least they're all safely put past without SWMBO noticing!

8 hours ago, Harley John said:

I picked up another Airfix B-24J and with it a Hasegawa P-47D from a well known auction site. After checking on here it would appear that the consensus is that the P-47 may not be Hasagawa's finest moment! What to do? Well go and buy a Tamiya P-47D "bubbletop" and a Revell P-47M obviously and why not get a couple of books on the P-47, Roger Freeman's Thunderbolt: The Documentary History Of The Republic P-47 and Edward Shacklady's P-47 Thunderbolt while I'm at it. 

Still trying to work out what it is about the Thunderbolt that induced such madness but at least they're all safely put past without SWMBO noticing!

I think it’s because it makes you feel like a kid, and it looks cool! It’s like it’s own caricature. If you were to think of the coolest aircraft as a kid, it would be big, powerful, covered in weapons and have rude pictures painted on it.... p-47.... maybe not the most beautiful! But it’s like a muscle car.

as for the Hase kit, sure, not super detailed and the panels are raise, but! Everything is really crisp on it and it goes together really nicely. I just can’t speak for it’s accuracy, but mine looks like a Tbolt!

Rob

The Hasegawa F-4N & AE-6B that I'd bought from HLJ in mid Nov arrived today, after languishing in my HLJ Private Warehouse for several weeks. Always good to have them home. :)

Steve.

10 hours ago, rob85 said:

I think it’s because it makes you feel like a kid, and it looks cool! It’s like it’s own caricature. If you were to think of the coolest aircraft as a kid, it would be big, powerful, covered in weapons and have rude pictures painted on it.... p-47.... maybe not the most beautiful! But it’s like a muscle car.

as for the Hase kit, sure, not super detailed and the panels are raise, but! Everything is really crisp on it and it goes together really nicely. I just can’t speak for it’s accuracy, but mine looks like a Tbolt!

Muscle car and rude pictures! Ooh er, fnarr fnarr (sorry Ced) What a great description! Clearly I need to peruse the choice of after-market transfers at the Big H

Thanks for your reassuring words about the Hase kit. I think I'll go for building it first.

Payday today....I bought lots of hobby bits.

Ultimate primer grey

Mission models thinner 

Swann morton retractaway and blades

3x zvezda 1/72 maus kits (one for me, my daughter and missus)

PCB drill bits for making TINY holes!

New brush soap. 

I was VERY close to buying an Academy 1/35 Jagdpanzer late version,  but I have to pay for a school trip. Responsible parent nonsense and all that. 

Edited by ProjeKtWEREWOLF

I participated in a market research study and received a $200 Amazon gift card, so I ordered:

North American B-25 Mitchell: The Ultimate Look: From Drawing Board to Flying Arsenal, by Dr William Wolf

806 Naval Air Squadron: The FAA's Top-Scoring Fighter Squadron of the Second World War, by Brian Cull

and 

Caraktere's Messerschmitt Bf 109 : the complete monography, by Jean-Claude Mermet, which is, I am assured, in English.

I bought the 26Decals sheet for the BEA A319 retro scheme in 1/144, in a fit of madness, because I saw the aircraft at Heathrow and loved the look of it. Of course, turns out, A319 kits are expensive and thin on the ground. 

I just ordered a little re-boxing of a Matchbox kit. Looks like a fun little build. Mainly for cheap weathering practice. 

Revell 03232 "Sd.Kfz.173 Jagdpanther" Model Kit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001VEJ1GS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_AV4kEbDZW9RJG

Edited by ProjeKtWEREWOLF

A Wolfpak  North American T-2 Buckeye won on the local auction site today. I've had a couple on my ebay watch list for yonks, this came along at a much better rate. :)

Steve.

Decals and Etch from Hannants  - Techmod  Decals 1/48 48117 Polish Mi-24D/W  and  Eduard 1/48  49001 USAAF & USN WWII Seatbelts.

Some new bookazine issues  -  Key Publishing ; Aviation Archive  - Military Helicopters Of The 20th. Century  and  Royal Air Force Annual Review 2020.

Mortons Books ;  Aviation Classics  - Second World War Stories.

Some arrivals from eBay  -  AIR FAN Magazine April 1987 from France bought Wednesday evening delivered in UK Saturday morning with shipping cost of 82 pence (0.92 Euro) which is cheaper than and as quick as the equivalent Large Letter postage would have been for internal UK mail , marvelous service

Monogram 1/48 85-5437 1/48 Republic F-84F Thunderstreak kit – the release with the Mk.7 Atomic Bomb in it –  for $23.16 (17.70 pounds) total from the US  but got hit for 4.77 pounds ($6.23) VAT which happens although the arithmetic for that does not quite add up  but the 8 pounds Royal Mail handling charge seems gratuitous and I imagine will only become more common after next Friday.

MiniHobby 1/48 80311 Mi-24D/P Hind D/F kit – Inspired by the Monogram kit apparently but with an additional sprue for the fixed twin cannon and alternative pylon mounted weaponry -  13.86 pounds including free delivery in under a week from China and below the 15.00 pounds VAT threshold so no contribution to HMRC or to Rico Back’s three quarters of a million pounds per annum salary and tax-free six million pound welcome package as CEO of Royal Mail.

2020 is going to be the year I actually convert one of my 1/43 Police Diecasts (maybe)  so I bought a USB Pen Drive Loaded With 300+ pages Of Emergency Services Decal Artwork  to have a go at printing my own , printed from my own artwork before for aircraft so should be a lot easier having it already prepared (hopefully).

Edited by Des

These over the last week. The CMK detail sets actually came with a U-Boat kit but since they're to complement the Platinum version of the same that I bought earlier in the month I let the kit go. Worked out at more than £150 cheaper than buying the sets new on their own. The books arrived today. Looking to build my kit as U-242 - a modified VIIC/41 which still retained the deck gun and part of the net cutting device. It was either that or a VIIF. 

IMG_2006

8 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Been a pretty dry January but a Heller SAAB Lansen is on its way 

Ideal candidate for the Heller Classic GB later this year.