This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhoenixII

What new stuff have you bought/been gifted? Part III

Going with the flow, a set of Pixnor tweezers; very nice!  I now have the urge to build something with very small parts!

The Aviation Historian Issue 30.

Another Model Aircraft Extra No.3 Building The F-4 Phantom , ordered in December but went missing in the post and a replacement delivered soon afterwards but the original arrived this week and according to Sophie at MA was one of a whole batch lost at that time and now found by Royal Mail , at her kind suggestion the surplus copy has since been passed on to a friend.

Unboxed but otherwise intact  Revell 04526 1/48 Republic F-84F Thunderstreak kit via eBay.

Dutch Decal 48010 F-84F 311 , 312 , 315 , 322/323 Sqn. and RF-84F 306 Sqn RNethAF via eBay.

Edited by Des

No plastic but a pack of these from Paul at Waterlooville Model Centre.

IMG_2058

The smaller ones may help with the dreaded ejector pin marks found on our precious plastic.

Simon.

6 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

The smaller ones may help with the dreaded ejector pin marks found on our precious plastic.

Simon.

I find my micro-chisel to be indispensable.

There's a warning on the front of the box! Best find a responsible adult to help you. No point looking on this site though! 

I built a Vacform 1/48th Sea Vixen many years ago and didn't have too many troubles. Good luck and Bon Voyage!

12 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Good luck and Bon Voyage!

Ta. I’ve wanted a Lerwick since forever. I didn’t know there had been a kit of any kind* until today. I had to have it.

I keep reminding myself that at worst I will be the box's custodian for a while. Rather like the previous owner. Then again, I might just pluck up the courage and tackle my first vac form kit… Possibly. :tmi:

* I have found out there was an actual injection moulded kit of the Lerwick. However, at something over double what I’m paying for the Contrail, I doubt I would have made the purchase.

So far as I am aware, there has never been an injection moulded kit of the Lerwick, even Valom have ignored it so far. 

There is/was a resin kit from Blackbird Models, not cheap. Will watch your build with interest. 

11 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Will watch your build with interest

Please don't hold your breath! :bandit:

I think the Blackbird one was the one I was thinking of. I didn't quite notice it was resin cast, which would explain the rather large sum expected for it. 

I looked at it at Telford, but to be honest, not sure about it, I have the Contrail kit and it is on the never ending build list. 

I looked at the Lerwick earlier last year, ended up with the Southampton instead..

Just ordered a Lightning IPad/camera adapter so that I can upload photos from a camera to Flickr via my iPad. The running system of my iMac is too old to allow me to upload photos direct from it, so I have been limited to using photos taken on my iPad, which is a bit restrictive. Should arrive Wednesday.

On 1/18/2020 at 8:23 PM, Heather Kay said:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/contrail-saunders-roe-s36-lerwick--238534

I wonder if I will regret this purchase in the morning. :blink2:

Hopefully, not as much as RAF Coastal Command (especially its crews) regretted the real thing ...

I have gotten to the stage where I avoid kits (or companies) with a "difficult" reputation, no matter how the subject matter appeals to me. I like a challenge, but as Dirty Harry once observed "... a man's got to know his limitations".

20 minutes ago, klr said:

I have gotten to the stage where I avoid kits (or companies) with a "difficult" reputation, no matter how the subject matter appeals to me.

I can understand, and respect that. My problem is I am a completist at heart, and if there is a kit, I will consider it.

Scalemates has a link to a build review of the Lerwick. I hope mine turns out nearly as good!

Curtiss SB2C Helldiver by Peter Smith. A very tidy ex Miami Public Library system via Thrift Books. One I'd been looking out for, for some time.

Steve.

A new TV to replace our blotchy LCD jobbie. Paid the extra to have it wall mounted and it gets delivered next Tuesday.

A ticket to see The Gentlemen at the cinema tonight.

55 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

A ticket to see The Gentlemen at the cinema tonight.

I'll be interested to see your impression of the film, my wife and I went to see it a couple of weeks ago.

Some more Colourcoats paints and, because life isn't complicated enough already, some Infinimodel superfine rigging line.

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

I'll be interested to see your impression of the film, my wife and I went to see it a couple of weeks ago.

Ditto on that SWMBO and I want to see it but arent sure if we want to spend the $. 

4 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ditto on that SWMBO and I want to see it but arent sure if we want to spend the $. 

I don’t recommend films (or books or music) because people’s taste is so different, but I’d be happy to give you my verdict on the film after Mick4350 has seen it (no spoilers!)

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

Enjoyed it. I don't know why I always get the whole movie shown with nobody else watching it as well.

2 minutes ago, Whofan said:

I don’t recommend films (or books or music) because people’s taste is so different, but I’d be happy to give you my verdict on the film after Mick4350 has seen it (no spoilers!)

You won't be sorry !  Had a lot of laughs with this one.

4 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

Enjoyed it. I don't know why I always get the whole movie shown with nobody else watching it as well.

Glad to hear it. We did as well, despite what we thought of as appalling levels of swearing.

And yes, it was very funny in places. 

It’s odd though that like you, we saw it and I think there were something like 8 other people in the theatre with us.

When we saw 1917 last week there were only 14 other people in the cinema with us. You can tell how bored we were waiting for the main film to start that I counted customers in the cinema!

Edited by Whofan

2 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

I don't know why I always get the whole movie shown with nobody else watching it as well.

When did you last have a bath? :wink: