This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhoenixII

What new stuff have you bought/been gifted? Part III

1 hour ago, tank152 said:

Personally I don't think it's worth the paper it's written on. The profiles especially are a joke and look like the work of someone who had done them after a night out with Timothy Leary.

I cringe every time someone recommends that book.

A lucky escape indeed.

Is there something out there on the subject you do recommend? (I understand there's some stuff in French, but in spite of all temptations to speak the tongues of other nations etc.)

53 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Is there something out there on the subject you do recommend? (I understand there's some stuff in French, but in spite of all temptations to speak the tongues of other nations etc.)

My recommendation would be 

Messerschmitt Bf-109 by 

Jean-Claude Mermet and Christian-Jacques Ehrengardt

Cara tère resse & éditions.

The English edition, obviously!

The recommended retail price is or was $54-90.

That will walk you through all the differences of all the Bf109s. Cowlings etc etc. Loads of line drawings to help you.

Hopefully it's still available 🤞

20200113_200432

Tim.

My wife presented me with a Christmas present she had found in her wardrobe and had forgotten about. A CD of Jean Michel-Jarre 'Equinox Infinity'. Best thing is, I bought it, and then gave it to Mrs T and forgot about it! 

Also enough seville oranges for two batches of marmalade and a litre of Seville Orange gin. Gin made and being left to mature and one lot of shred soaking for making up tomorrow. The rest in the freezer until later in the year. 

I have a feeling it's going to be boiler-related and expensive.

I'm just glad I own a couple of fan heaters, which seem to be doing a reasonable job of keeping the house warm.

32 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

I have a feeling it's going to be boiler-related and expensive.

Not necessarily… about eight years ago we had our lump-of-cast-iron replaced by a new 'Condensing Boiler' and the plumber warned us we'd need a new one in about seven years.

Sure enough, last year the boiler 'went'.

A respectable plumber (yes they do exist) came along and changed a few parts and charged us a few hundred quid, far less than the 'Oooh, you'll need a new one now' I was expecting.

Apparently the better boilers (like our Worcester) can have their parts replaced as they fail.

Makes a change :) 

14 hours ago, Mr T said:

Also enough seville oranges for two batches of marmalade and a litre of Seville Orange gin. Gin made and being left to mature and one lot of shred soaking for making up tomorrow. The rest in the freezer until later in the year. 

Oh, well @Mr T, the cost of a seat at the Bolton show will NOW cost you a jar of last years production! :wicked:

Paul

37 minutes ago, CedB said:

Apparently the better boilers (like our Worcester) can have their parts replaced as they fail.

We had our last Worcester for almost 20 years. Serviced every year by British Gas and looked after under their (fairly expensive, but we feel worth it) Home Care, they changed a few parts but nothing really major - and parts were still available 20 years on! Finally gave in and changed it in the summer as they offered us a very good deal on a new replacement Worcester. If this one is as good it may well outlast me...!!!

Keith

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Not necessarily… about eight years ago we had our lump-of-cast-iron replaced by a new 'Condensing Boiler' and the plumber warned us we'd need a new one in about seven years.

Sure enough, last year the boiler 'went'.

A respectable plumber (yes they do exist) came along and changed a few parts and charged us a few hundred quid, far less than the 'Oooh, you'll need a new one now' I was expecting.

Makes a change :) 

Ours is a Worcester Bosch. It's around ten years old and has never needed a replacement part, so I can't really complain. I'm very much hoping that it's fixable!

6 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Oh, well @Mr T, the cost of a seat at the Bolton show will NOW cost you a jar of last years production! :wicked:

Paul

The reason I am buying more oranges is that last years is gone worse luck as it was one of the better batches I have made. Problem with preserve making is that you never know what will happen.  Some of last years was lost as some jars fell over and it leaked and because the seal breached it went mouldy. Now I know that a previous PM would have just scraped the top off, but from a food safety perspective that will not do. Had to take about an inch (2.54cm for our metric readers) off the top of each jar and threat was reboiled and put into new jars. First time this has ever happened, but apparently it can. 

Back on topic bought some Albion Alloy 0.2mm nickel silver rod for a future project. Wanted some 0.1mm, but not in stock and might be too thin anyway. 

On 09/01/2020 at 16:39, BIG X said:

FULL HOUSE - JACKPOT - BINGO - or whatever...

The last and maybe most crucial part of the build has arrived - well done DPD!!!

BOOK.jpg

This will show me in closer detail what all the bits of plastic are in reality - bad news I need a Schwimmwagen too now :doh:

Tamiya schimmwagen is a nice kit - I have one part built from a few years ago.

Really must finish it off!

All the best

Ben

17 minutes ago, badger said:

Tamiya schimmwagen is a nice kit - I have one part built from a few years ago.

Really must finish it off!

All the best

Ben

Hi Ben - I was going to build a captured 1/72 version - but now I'm thinking a 1/35 version might be more fun - you will remember this picture...

Men-of-23rd-Hussars-11th-Armoured-Divisi

I bought some generic 1/35 11th Armoured decals - so...

...you know my love of the 11th armoured - so...

...it has to be ;)

Just now, BIG X said:

Hi Ben - I was going to build a captured 1/72 version - but now I'm thinking a 1/35 version might be more fun - you will remember this picture...

Men-of-23rd-Hussars-11th-Armoured-Divisi

I bought some generic 1/35 11th Armoured decals - so...

...you know my love of the 11th armoured - so...

...it has to be ;)

Go for it!

That would be a very cool build

Ben

From Abebooks, a tidy & decently priced copy of Frank's "The Air Battle for Imphal" ,the whole campaign has fascinated me for years. Also from The Book Depository, Hemingway's "Islands in the Stream". It's time I found out what the Dolly & Kenny song SHE inflicts on me is all about. ;)

Steve.

I'll have to have a look for a copy of the "Air Battle for Imphal",most of my WWII books are about Europe so it'd make a change...

This is the third book in a trilogy, the first two being Hurricanes over the Arakan and the second being Spitfires over the Arakan.  The same campaigns are also covered in Chris Shores' Air War Over Burma.  The last may be easier to find.

3 hours ago, Mr T said:

....................buying more oranges is that last years is gone worse luck as it was one of the better batches I have made.

Excuses, excuses! :whistle:

12 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Excuses, excuses! :whistle:

Taskmaster that stuff is full of sugar anyway and you know you should be losing the pounds not putting them on . :bleh:

Duncan B  :eat::pie:

1 hour ago, peterairfix said:

One late Xmas presentspacer.png

That will keep you busy for a while Peter.

Simon.

Not a lot but I did get some stuff today.

10 sheets 2000 grit w/d from Amazon.

2 filters for the spray booth from Expo via Paul at Waterlooville Model Centre.

Simon.

6 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Taskmaster that stuff is full of sugar anyway and you know you should be losing the pounds not putting them on . :bleh:

Duncan B  :eat::pie:

Cheeky young (not exactally svelt yersen!)....................................................................................RIP!!*

*OTHER phrases ARE available! :wicked:

It was my birthday yesterday, so the better half gave me £30 to spend on models.  Picked these up from my LHS on lunch, hence the dodgy picture.  He knocked me a couple of quid off to make it bang on £30, so I don't get rare done :D

PhVxhxJ.jpg

Looking forward to the Phantom, probably going with the blue livery on the front.  Not built a Spitfire yet, so that's a good excuse to practice free hand camo with the AB for the first time and not be worried about the result too much.

I’m a sucker for a special scheme on an F-16 :D

2020-01-16_01-07-38

Sean