This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhoenixII

What new stuff have you bought/been gifted? Part III

2 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Trip to Halifax today found me in Modellers World of all places! :o

I liked this post simply for the fact that not only did I not know that shop existed, but I was at Eureka last weekend for my daughters birthday so she has free entry for the rest of the year.  Guess who's gonna be suggesting we take the kids to Eureka as often as possible, we're only 40 minutes down the road after all :D 

1 hour ago, HoolioPaulio said:

we're only 40 minutes down the road after all :D 

Well in that case it would be rude not to! :wicked:

Tamiya 1/100 Fiat G.91/R1/R4 on eBay for 3.99 delivered to join the four others kits from the same series bought on offer at Hobbycraft a couple of weeks ago as ‘mini-breaks’ from longer projects.

Following on from their F-104 and C-160 books bought new a couple of weeks ago I got a copy of Alpha Jet by Bernd & Frank Vetter from the same hardback series published by Motobuch Verlag again in German throughout but heavily illustrated with mainly new to me images , has an emphasis on Luftwaffe service although all users get some coverage , bought second-hand but as new from Germany through ABE Books for just over 8 pounds  (including 89 pence shipping) ordered Monday arrived Saturday.

I made the Viggen many decades back, and the Frog Mosquito provided a suitably sized pilot for it.  I don't think that I've still got the other figure but other modellers might.

Having visited Newark Air Museum today as part of a birthday outing, ‘er indoors treated me to these two kits. Top girl! 😍

I’ll build the Cessna, eventually, but the  1/48th 100th special edition Fieseler Storch might end up being in the stash for many, many years to come. It’s just too nice to build. 

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Des said:

Tamiya 1/100 Fiat G.91/R1/R4 on eBay for 3.99 delivered to join the four others kits from the same series bought on offer at Hobbycraft a couple of weeks ago as ‘mini-breaks’ from longer projects.

For similar reasons, I bought 3 of this range for 5 Euro each during the Christmas break: The Lightning F.6, A-6 Intruder and Mirage IIIC.

However, I've only just now realised I've built one of this range before, way back in the mid-1980s: The Bell UH-1B Iroquois. But it was in a Revell box. Scalemates doesn't say it was a Tamiya mold, but a comparison of the instructions leaves no doubt, and Revell did re-box several other kits from the series at that time.

Two sets of 26 decals for Air Atlantique DC-3s, G-AMCA and G-AMPO. I've been after these for a while and as they are now discontinued, when the popped up on eBay, I thought it wise to snap them up straight away.

I used to see  Air Atlantique DC-3s fly over every night during the early/mid eighties, as I was living on the Stanstead-Glasgow evening mail run route. It'll be like seeing a couple of old friends. Possibly.

45 minutes ago, klr said:

For similar reasons, I bought 3 of this range for 5 Euro each during the Christmas break: The Lightning F.6, A-6 Intruder and Mirage IIIC.

However, I've only just now realised I've built one of this range before, way back in the mid-1980s: The Bell UH-1B Iroquois. But it was in a Revell box. Scalemates doesn't say it was a Tamiya mold, but a comparison of the instructions leaves no doubt, and Revell did re-box several other kits from the series at that time.

Bought the same three as yourself as well as the IL-28 , only other one available in the shop I visited was the MiG-19 although from what I have seen advertised on eBay etc. only around ten of the original Tamiya 1/100 range are currently available and unfortunately not including the Buccaneer , UK Phantom , F-105 and others.

I think Revell also re-boxed 1/100 scale kits by Ben and Takara as well as Tamiya at different times as well.

Edited by Des

41 minutes ago, Des said:

Bought the same three as yourself as well as the IL-28 , only other one available in the shop I visited was the MiG-19 although from what I have seen advertised on eBay etc. only around ten of the original Tamiya 1/100 range are currently available and unfortunately not including the Buccaneer , UK Phantom , F-105 and others.

I think Revell also re-boxed 1/100 scale kits by Ben and Takara as well as Tamiya at different times as well.

In recent years, I think I've only seen the MiG 19, IL 28 and G.91 as well, but I passed up on them at the time, to my regret. The A-7A might be out there as well, if you look around. It's a pity some of the others are not re-released. The more are available, the more sense it would make to collect them.

Revell must be amongst the most promiscuous companies when it comes to re-boxing kits from others. Off the top of my head, I can think of 25+, and I'm sure there are many more.

A used copy of the MMP Bf 109 Late Versions book, so I can hopefully get a handle on the late war versions of my second-most-hated aircraft. Absurdly expensive.

Xtradecals for RAF multi-engine aircraft in Overlord and the Xtradecal Typhoon sheet, so I can build two Op Dinner aircraft.

16 hours ago, klr said:

MiG 19, IL 28 and G.91 as well, but I passed up on them at the time, to my regret. The A-7A might be out there as well,

As already mentioned, all but the G-91 are in the Hobbycraft 2 for £8 sale that's currently running.

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/advancedsearchresults.aspx?query=tamiya+1%2f100

Grab them when you can! :)

15 hours ago, Procopius said:

Absurdly expensive.

Might I be rude and ask just how absurd PC? Ihave that book, it might find itself becoming dispensible......!! :)

Keith

Just now, keefr22 said:

Might I be rude and ask just how absurd PC? Ihave that book, it might find itself becoming dispensible......!! :)

Keith

It was $80 with shipping, and the seller just cancelled the order and said it was already sold!

These have appeared:

20200113_121249

My next build is converting one of them into a PR.IX.

Sean

This just turned up this morning, I grabbed these pics at tea break time, I'll have to wait until lunch time to give it a proper going over:

20200113_123531 20200113_123603

36 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

As already mentioned, all but the G-91 are in the Hobbycraft 2 for £8 sale that's currently running.

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/advancedsearchresults.aspx?query=tamiya+1%2f100

Grab them when you can! :)

In addition to the six that Hobbycraft are offering (IL-28 , Mirage IIIC , A-6A Intruder , A-7A Corsair II , Lightning F.6 and MiG-19) it looks like that the last time Tamiya released any from this series back around 2004 the MiG-21PF , Me-262A/Me-163B , F-4EJ and Fiat G.91 were also included and from a quick check there are some of these available through eBay and quite possibly elsewhere for similar prices to the Hobbycraft offer but of course usually with shipping costs to be added.

Having almost given up on fighter sized 1/72 scale years ago I have found trying 1/100 rather relaxing at around four pounds a go ,  just a pity that none of the more interesting (to me at least) kits have not resurfaced in decades.

Edited by Des

10 minutes ago, Des said:

just a pity that none of the more interesting (to me at least) kits have not resurfaced in decades.

I agree, used to have the Bucc, UK Phantom, Starfighter and Viggen and also regret selling them years ago! Did manage to find a Pan Am Vertol 107 on e-bay for a good price a couple of years back after looking for ages as I remember enjoying building that one as a kid! 

1 hour ago, AntPhillips said:

This just turned up this morning, I grabbed these pics at tea break time, I'll have to wait until lunch time to give it a proper going over:

It'll be interesting to see how it compares with the Asuka/Tasca version.

John.

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

It was $80 with shipping, and the seller just cancelled the order and said it was already sold!

It's not worth half of that price in my opinion. A lucky escape for you I'd say.

Duncan B

Just now, Duncan B said:

It's not worth half of that price in my opinion. A lucky escape for you I'd say.

As is so often the case with rare and OOP aviation titles, it seems. Hopefully someone else will pen a book about those stupid late-war cowling variations.

59 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

It'll be interesting to see how it compares with the Asuka/Tasca version.

John.

Hi John,

It looks very promising in the box, LOTS of parts, they only supply workable tracks, but there is a handy track jig that allows them to be built up in multiples (upto 6 at a time and theres at least a couple of jigs provided).

I dont have an Asuka Firefly Vc to compare to, but I have an M4A4 75 mm and a Firefly Ic (Hybrid) so if I get a chance I'll take some comparison shots. It's certainly leaps and bounds ahead of the Dragon kit thats hovering around my workspace (behind the sofa).

BTW the sprues are very reminiscent of Takom, I don't know if theres a link between RFM and Takom but there sure is a similarity.

Happy modelling

Ant

Nothing very exciting

49379714361_b1225fb174_z.jpg

Running short of the Vallejo stuff and, while hunting around for the best price, chose the Pasche Lube 'cos it was on the same site.

I've been using sewing machine oil but I saw a video that says the lube stops paint sticking to the needle - we shall see.

Whilst starting my 'bucket car' and reading the Haynes Manual - I'm sorry...

….I couldn't resist - I had to get it's watery 'twin' - the Schwimmwagen…

IMG-6701.jpg

...this one even comes with the engine included - woo hoo!!!

I need to get the Kubelwagen finished first - but I am succumbing to 'shiny new thing' syndrome again :lol:

24 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Whilst starting my 'bucket car' and reading the Haynes Manual - I'm sorry...

….I couldn't resist - I had to get it's watery 'twin' - the Schwimmwagen…

IMG-6701.jpg

...this one even comes with the engine included - woo hoo!!!

I need to get the Kubelwagen finished first - but I am succumbing to 'shiny new thing' syndrome again :lol:

The face on that driver though! 😬

2 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Duncan B

Personally I don't think it's worth the paper it's written on. The profiles especially are a joke and look like the work of someone who had done them after a night out with Timothy Leary.

I cringe every time someone recommends that book.

A lucky escape indeed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2