This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhoenixII

What new stuff have you bought/been gifted? Part III

9 hours ago, CedB said:

You can say 'Is there anything worth watching on TV' into the remote and it'll find something for you.

I suppose that depends on what the remote finds remotely interesting..... :whistle:

Inspired by @Brad in the Christmas Blitzenbuild I've decided to copy him and got myself a Kubelwagen…

KUB.jpg

It seems to have different tyres - but apart from that it looks similar.

I have a couple of other things also on order to go with this - so I keep looking out the window for different couriers - as they are all due today - but all from different places - EXCITING TIMES :mental:

Double socket with USB and a surface mount to replace one of the single sockets in our bedroom. Fed up of fiddling around with chargers. Also proof of concept as I wnat to replace some more single sockets and in this day and age makes sense to add USB. Seems to be working OK, but a s*d to fit as on skirting board with no room to work. 

Bought a new 24" monitor with wall mount for the modeling room.  Pulled out an old gaming PC that's been collecting dust.  Heck it really only needs to search the net, pull files up from main PC and play music/videos.  Saves me having to go to the shop or upstairs to pull up refs and what not. :thumbsup:

WOOHOO!!!  Part 2 of 3 has just arrived.  Inspired by @Jeroen build of his truck - with an engine - I thought I would add an engine to the Kubelwagen…

ENG.jpg

I've no idea what I'm going to do with all the other stuff - I only wanted the engine :shrug:

FULL HOUSE - JACKPOT - BINGO - or whatever...

The last and maybe most crucial part of the build has arrived - well done DPD!!!

BOOK.jpg

This will show me in closer detail what all the bits of plastic are in reality - bad news I need a Schwimmwagen too now :doh:

These beauties dropped through the door today.

20200109_171810

Sean

I'd managed to hold out until today, but I've finally caved in and ordered a Pixnor tweezer set. 

My Heller Boeing 707 landed today and flippin' 'eck, it's huge! It easily dwarfs any other model I've owned. All I need to do now is work out how to finish it. I'll have to check what decal options are available.

Those early Boeing jetliners really were quite beautiful.

4 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Those early Boeing jetliners really were quite beautiful.

The 707 is a design classic, pretty much the majority of airliners built since then follow that format in one way or another (and yes, before anyone starts listing exceptions, just look how many airliners follow the swept flying control surfaces with engines slung in pods beneath the wings compared to those that don't).

Grabbed this off Ebay, as an early birthday present.  Will be both my first helicopter build, and my first Italeri kit

FywnFNO.jpg

Nothing modelling related but having to update the computer. Finally!

The guts of the current PC are coming up to 9 years old this year - Originally built as a state of the art gaming PC in July 2011, with an AMD FX8150 8 core CPU, 8GB RAM, 2 optical drives, a small SSD, a 2TB HDD for games and data, and a 750 GB HDD for Linux. Also had a discrete soundcard (which had to be replaced as the original was not compatible with the version of Linux I was running at the time).

I've definitely had my moneys worth out of the old rig, which (I think) cost me about £800 to build - everything was replaced at the time, case, psu, MB, CPU, etc. So I think at a rate of around £94 / PA it has been a good investment . The new rig will still be an AMD based gaming rig. Here are the specs :

• CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Max
  • Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVOLN
  • Motherboard - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero
  • Memory - Corsair Vengeance 16GB
  • Case - Corsair Obsidian 750D
  • PSU - EVGA 750BQ (hybrid)
  • O/S - Windows 10 Pro (OEM)
  • Soundcard As Now - Keep what I Have - SoundBlaster X-fi PCi X Soundcard
  • Storage As Now - Keep What I Have - 250GB SSD, 2TBHDD, 750GB HDD
  • GPU As Now - Keep What I Have - Nvidia GTX 970 4GB

If this lot last as long as my original rig, I will be a happy bunny (I already know that at some point in the next 12-18 months I will have to replace the GPU as this will be 5 years old this year - not replaced now as on a tight budget and that would have been an added extra expense).

Due to arrive on Monday at some point. Hopefully intact 😃 Last time, the motherboard arrive DOA with bits broken off and floating round the box..... Rapid return and replacement as I was in the middle of building the new rig!

TTFN

E1596C09-80B7-4F8D-B208-CA4C555CB0D3_sh7

16227EF2-6A86-43AF-A3A9-E6E1B09DB240_sh7

A djibouti BTR-60 with AML-90 cupolla (took more then a year and a complaint for internet fraud to get delivered, so when ordering from Azimut Productions, be aware of this)

BVM35091.jpg

29404_rd.jpg

I hit Tesco book racks ..... £33.96 worth of books for £16. As long as they keep offering this deal on books I'll keep buying them, but you do have to ask how long can Tesco keep offering it?

The paints were from Hobbycraft, where I was dragged to by SWIMBO. Next paint purchase will be from one of the three LMS' I can now go to easily!

Well, 4 actually; by train, Parabellum and Tornado in Birmingham, Mr Models in Birmingham by Car, Forest Models in Stourport  by car. Nothing more than an hour away, and Birmingham by train is frankly the best way to get their from here. And I like ambling around Swordfish records, HMV and Waterstones in Birmingham so it's a win win!

SAM_8841

From Ebay, the Trumpeter 1/35 T-72A MBT Mod 1985 for a very reasonable price.  Looks a monster of a kit, with some very small p/e bolt heads that promise to be loads of fun.  I hope there will be some spare!

4 hours ago, Silenoz said:

29404_rd.jpg

Looks like the cannon from Battlestar Galactica.

3 minutes ago, 593jones said:

I hope there will be some spare!

You know full well that there probably wont be - they'll have given you only just enough to do the job in hand.....:evil_laugh:

An Academy 1/72 KB-29P. I need to get some suitable decals for it now, something based in East Anglia. 

Any ideas?

no delivery of the latest tranche of airfix releases and still no buccaneer and in a fit of strange sympathy I brought some Humbrol EDSG despite having almost a full pot of Xtracrylix  and 3 pots of DSG, though at least that can be used to repaint my Shackleton should I actually return to it 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

A Hobby2000 Brewster Buffalo kit from Jadarhobby, I've several previous Hasegawa Buffalo kits but this one will likely end up in the DEI scheme that I don't have decals for.

Plus a Osprey F6F Hellcat vs Shiden/Shiden Kai, I have kits for both so it should be an interesting read, from the Book Depository at a good rate. :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Trip to Halifax today found me in Modellers World of all places! :o

Came away with a Dragon M4A2 'Tarawa' for 20 quid. 2nd hand but all there and a set of Bronco T49 indie tracks.... bibble! :blink:

And from The Works i got the Haynes PzIII book for 4 English pounds.

Regards,

Steve

1 minute ago, fatfingers said:

Trip to Halifax today found me in Modellers World of all places! :o

Came away with a Dragon M4A2 'Tarawa' for 20 quid. 2nd hand but all there and a set of Bronco T49 indie tracks.... bibble! :blink:

And from The Works i got the Haynes PzIII book for 4 English pounds.

Regards,

Steve

You have to love this shop - it's my joint favourite with the North East Model Centre in Chester Le Street - great stock and very pleasant owners / staff...

If only I didn't have to travel so far for such a pleasant experience.

C'mon Manchester - we have no model shops left at all AND WE ARE THE SECOND CITY IN THE UK - sorry B/ham you are deluded if you still think it's you :lol: