This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhoenixII

What new stuff have you bought/been gifted? Part III

53 minutes ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Ive seen quite a few people have these - they look nearly identical to my Vetus tweezers. They came with one of my 3d printers, but have been finding their uses in loads of different ways.  Only today realized their intended purpose and market is Fake Eyelash Extensions after the other half quizzed what on earth i was doing with one of those?!?! lol

So nice to have something I can use for both my hobbies.

1 hour ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Ive seen quite a few people have these - they look nearly identical to my Vetus tweezers. They came with one of my 3d printers, but have been finding their uses in loads of different ways.  Only today realized their intended purpose and market is Fake Eyelash Extensions after the other half quizzed what on earth i was doing with one of those?!?! lol

I bought a set of the Vetus tweezers a few years ago. Mine were marketed as ESD safe for electronics work, which is what I originally bought them for. Somehow they all migrated over to my modelling bench.....

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Got the itch to see some new scenery so took the car out for a rather random drive about around the nearby counties over the weekend. Ended up pulling into Forest Models, a little hobby store tucked away inside a Hot Tub/Jacuzzi store in Stourport!  

Thinking ' I really dont need any more planes, lets get some scenery stuff' , i got me one of these - 

25PDR%20FIELD%20GUN%20and%20QUAD%20Airfi

Hoping 1/72 and 1/76 dont look too disproportionate. Must admit i was a little disappointed to see there quite a bit of detail missing on the kit itself, and no clear parts! looks like ill be scratch-building some headlights and acetate windows i guess! I also was sold on the half open ammunition carriage, but again, you cant make it like that without some scratch-building! 

Discovered back when I used to avidly buy the new Airfix vehicles and figures as they were released first time around many, many years ago that there used to be some variation across the Airfix and other ranges which were always a bit harder to find so that slightly oversized 1/76 and slightly undersized 1/72 brought deep joy but cannot remember after so many years years which were on the slightly too large/small side.

Edited by Des

11 hours ago, ProjeKtWEREWOLF said:

I was having a hard time deciding between this and a patriot 105. I went for the 105 as it looked more idiot proof with regards to cleaning. Please let us know how you get on!!!

I went for the H&S because it looked super easy to clean, and regularly came up in suggestions as a good airbrush on both review sites and various forums when I researched.  I must say, compared to my first AB with the tiny little screw in nozzle that was about 5-6mm long and the tiniest o-ring I've ever seen that was degrading fast, the H&S is an absolute doddle to clean.  If I'm just doing short bursts of a few colours, running just a couple of ml of watered down AB cleaner (Vallejo) flushes it perfectly clean.  Once I've finished for the night I drop the nozzle and cap in a small jar of neat AB cleaner for half an hour or so, while I wipe the needle with AB cleaner and rinse the body out under a warm-to-hot tap with some AB brushes.  Its strips down really quickly and rebuilds so easy compared to my no brander.  It genuinely is no longer a chore to clean after a painting session, no matter how short.

I had to Google the Patriot 105, looks like a nice brush actually, with favourable reviews.  If I remember correctly, I didn't include Badger in my research because they use a bespoke thread connector, and my compressor and airline were already in 1/8 bsp, so it saved money not having to get extra connectors.  The nozzle look a very similar setup to the H&S, easy to strip and manage with no tiny bits to lose.  The trigger looks marginally trickier to take apart, but not enough to make me discount it on that alone.

All said, I luuurrrve the H&S, but my only previous experience is a £25 no brander, which served me incredibly well until I bought this.

Just received one of my late Christmas presents, courtesy of the end-of-year work bonus: a TrackIR Pro. I've been after one for years, and I'm very glad I finally was able to afford it. Initial mucking about in X-Plane 11 has shown promise, and that I need to practice 😁.

Just now, John Laidlaw said:

Just received one of my late Christmas presents, courtesy of the end-of-year work bonus: a TrackIR Pro. I've been after one for years, and I'm very glad I finally was able to afford it. Initial mucking about in X-Plane 11 has shown promise, and that I need to practice 😁.

Jealous! I'm hankering after one for Il-2.

1 minute ago, Procopius said:

Jealous! I'm hankering after one for Il-2.

Seriously, bite the bullet and get one - my initial five minutes tootling around Timmerman in a 182 was light-years ahead of my previous experience. Currently waiting for a huge DCS update to download to see what it does for that.

10 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

All said, I luuurrrve the H&S, but my only previous experience is a £25 no brander,

I love my H&S's too, bought because of the very reason you mention of the stupid Iwata type tiny screw in nozzle that my two previous brushes had - a Neo & a proper Iwata that was stupidly expensive. Those ridiculous o rings perished on both mine and replacing them would have cost about the same as buying a complete H&S Ultra! I liked that so much that I bought an Evo to go with it for finer work (courtesy of selling a pile of kits at Telford!)

Keith

I’ve got a Neo ( amongst others ) and the O rings perished but it doesn’t seem to have made much difference, I’ve probably lost some pressure but I only use it on about 12-15psi anyway.

John

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

I’ve got a Neo ( amongst others ) and the O rings perished but it doesn’t seem to have made much difference, I’ve probably lost some pressure but I only use it on about 12-15psi anyway.

John

Funnily enough John, so did my Neo, but then I dropped it and broke the nozzle and bent the needle! The Iwata hi-line HP-CH just didn't want to work at all without the o ring for some strange reason....

I've also got an Iwata HP-CH and a Neo and so far I find them to be excellent. They are the easiest a/b's to clean that I've ever had, especially when compared to the two Badgers that I had before.

John.

After deciding not to get a physical copy of the Airfix 2020 catalogue, i picked one of these up instead.

dQvuQTc4_o.jpg

Really like this magazine series - think this is the third or fourth edition i have read now. Good contextual write-up on each design, and they provide full color profile shots, as well as some of the original scanned documents......... more than enough for some ambitious scratch-building  :D

Some good designs, some not so good, some just downright bizarre. The bottom right image on the front cover is of a 'Sub Hunter Glider' that would be towed to an area where a sub was thought to be patrolling...... and hunt it down using acoustic equipment and depth charges.  Fitted with a little powerboat engine, it would tootle about in the sea until the tow aircraft returned to come pick it up again. Ridiculous idea. I LOVE IT. 

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

They are the easiest a/b's to clean that I've ever had

I have to say they are nowhere near as easy to clean as an H&S, especially with arthritic fingers when Iwata nozzles become almost impossible to screw back on... :) 

Having said that the easiest to clean airbrush I've ever had is an Aztek with its all in one little nozzle/needle 'module' - unscrew it, drop it in a bottle of thinner and screw in another one! The material they're made from seems to be bombproof - I've left them in cellulose thinners for weeks on end with no ill effects! Just a shame the rest of the airbrush is so flimsy!

Keith

From the Croydon Aero swapmeet

133998-11185-pristine.jpg

and from Japan a desktop vacuum cleaner that fits in the hand and picks up all the dust and plastic shavings and only runs off 2 AA batteries.

DSCN3230

Regards

Robert

A Heller 1/72 Boeing 707. It was one of the Creative Models damaged box offers and was under fifteen quid, posted. Couldn't say no at that price.

16 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

A Heller 1/72 Boeing 707. It was one of the Creative Models damaged box offers and was under fifteen quid, posted. Couldn't say no at that price.

Wow, thats a lot of plastic for so little, probably would have snapped one up myself even with no idea what to do with it :)

Anyway as for myself, ordered some tamiya tape as to my shock my local had run out of it, no kits as unfortunately I have gone overboard on ebay and have a number of high bids ticking down that come to quite a splurge should I win them......

Another Xmas present arrived today from Prickles and Smiley Bear.

From the big H. via Paul at Waterlooville Model Centre.

IMG_2028

The tool kit is getting nearly complete (but we all know that there is always something we need).

Simon.

A 1/72 Fujimi F-16A "plus" Norwegian AF (extended drag chute housing, Penguin Mk. 3 anti-ship missiles). For 10 Euro second had, I couldn't pass it up:

spacer.png

My Christmas brought me a Heller Citroen B14 Normande and an Airfix Victor K2

21 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

A Heller 1/72 Boeing 707.

6 minutes ago, cherry268 said:

a Heller Citroen B14 Normande

Well both of these would be very welcome in the Classic Heller Group Build later this year...   ...just sayin' right!

9 minutes ago, Wez said:

Well both of these would be very welcome in the Classic Heller Group Build later this year...   ...just sayin' right!

Thanks for the offer.

Well as much as I would love to give it a go I am afraid the timescale would beat me. Just don't get time to do enough to get them finished.  Anyway I have others in front of this one, I have been stashing most of the 1/24th car rereleases. 

13 minutes ago, cherry268 said:

Thanks for the offer.

Well as much as I would love to give it a go I am afraid the timescale would beat me. Just don't get time to do enough to get them finished.  Anyway I have others in front of this one, I have been stashing most of the 1/24th car rereleases. 

Well if you find yourself at a loose end when it starts in October you'd be more than welcome.

On 1/7/2020 at 1:27 AM, John Laidlaw said:

Seriously, bite the bullet and get one - my initial five minutes tootling around Timmerman in a 182 was light-years ahead of my previous experience. Currently waiting for a huge DCS update to download to see what it does for that.

Ah, my other hobby - procrastinating about which VR settings to fly DCS  with (high detail& jerky or low details & smooth).

Makes a change from procrastinating over which kit to build next !

Look what Mrs B won at the WI raffle tonight:

49353183411_d78605599a_z.jpg

Some kind of device, but wrapped in some really thin sticky black plastic tape stuff - that'll come in! :D 

Clever though.

You can say 'Is there anything worth watching on TV' into the remote and it'll find something for you.

It says in the manual :shrug:

We'll see shall won't we.

It did, though, ask if I wanted my TV switched to 'HDR' so I agreed and now the picture's much better.

Clever Apple.

(Other fruits are available)