As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhoenixII

What new stuff have you bought/been gifted? Part III

Well I too have succumbed to the lure of the Pixnor tweezer set too, at that price it was hard to resist!

Went to Brighton to see my daughter as today is her birthday, she gave me her birthday present to me for my birthday yesterday, a copy of Nocturne the live album by Siouxsie and the Banshees.

Also, whilst mooching around the North Laines, I bought myself a navy blue, pork-pie hat - bald, middle-aged man for the use of in these cold times.  A right Bobby Dazzler it is too!

A 1/72 Fujimi F-4G off that there eBay. I know the Hasegawa kit is superior, but try finding one! 

@Wez I always thought that Nocturne was one of the best live albums. Someone nicked my copy.....

On Saturday I went to Wilkos in Crossgates Leeds for a couple of items and then wandered into The Works opposite and came out with the Haynes Sopwith Camel for £5.

Today bought the 1/72nd Tamiya Bubble top Thunderbolt, basically as it looks so much better than any of the others. 

Resistance was futile. I too have been assimilated by the Pixnor tweezer collective.....

14 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

A 1/72 Fujimi F-4G off that there eBay. I know the Hasegawa kit is superior, but try finding one! 

@Wez I always thought that Nocturne was one of the best live albums. Someone nicked my copy.....

I have to agree, I have very few live albums in my collection, I too felt Nocturne was one of the best (until likewise, some scrote knicked it)!

Edited by Wez

I got a new lens for my DSLR for Christmas.

20200101_142944

I managed to give it a whirl yesterday and I was impressed.

DSC_0185_edited DSC_0187_edited

Sean

Posted (edited)

Great pics @Mozzy19

With my chrimbo money I got myself an LED lamp to go over my spray booth as the previous fluorescent  one wasn't much good and a Mini Vortex Mixer. It's actually lab equipment for mixing stuff in test tubes but it's great for mixing paint in 17ml dropper bottles!

Also waiting for some 20ml dropper bottles to arrive so I can decant my GW Paints into them. Unfortunately they be on a slow boat from China :unamused: 

Regards 

Steve 

Edited by fatfingers

3 hours ago, Mozzy19 said:

I managed to give it a whirl yesterday and I was impressed.

I am too, lovely shots, especially like the second one! I was actually just browsing for Nikon bodies as my D70 is now a bit long in the tooth! May have to browse for a new lens too!

Keith

A couple of Academy 1/72 kits, these being an F-14A (their older one) and a Ventura Mk II. I know that there's a new F-14A on the way (and I'll probably get one when it lands) but I got them for a very good price.

Oh dear. Oh deary, deary me.

49315309593_e06658d0a7_b.jpg

Temporarily plugging the hole in my Bomber Command 1940 shelf, plus the chance of a Belgian Battle. I know the rather long shortcomings, there are rivets in places you can sand wood with, but until a decent new tool Battle arrives (it will one day, it must, because I’ve bought these two now) these will have to fill the gap.

Tempted to throw one together out of the box, just for sh!ts and giggles. I know. I’m sad.

25 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Oh dear. Oh deary, deary me.

49315309593_e06658d0a7_b.jpg

Temporarily plugging the hole in my Bomber Command 1940 shelf, plus the chance of a Belgian Battle. I know the rather long shortcomings, there are rivets in places you can sand wood with, but until a decent new tool Battle arrives (it will one day, it must, because I’ve bought these two now) these will have to fill the gap.

Tempted to throw one together out of the box, just for sh!ts and giggles. I know. I’m sad.

Good of you to take one for the team, Heather, we will all appreciate it when Airfix announce their new tool :)  I have one in the stash, too.  I just console myself with the thought that Starfix would have made a worse job of it.

Just now, 593jones said:

I just console myself with the thought that Starfix would have made a worse job of it.

Oh, I don’t think that’s fair. As a kit, designed and made in the 1960s, it’s not that bad. If only the right set of drawings had been supplied to Haldane Place… 

Some new Marabu British landing lights - I was getting low:

49316448686_f1f062fb28_z.jpg

The new ones come with shiny reflectors already but I guess they still need 'denting'.

Of course Hannants won't ship small stuff so I added one of these to the order:

1242485-33840-89-720.jpg

Helicopters? Who got me interested in those I wonder?

2x8jkqP.jpg

so this arrived today! Wasn’t expecting it so soon, probably needed that £40 to stay in the bank account 😂

Rob

15 minutes ago, rob85 said:

so this arrived today! Wasn’t expecting it so soon, probably needed that £40 to stay in the bank account 😂

Rob

If it's not too much trouble, would you mind taking a pic of the contents please? I'm dithering about clicking the "buy" button, and that might just help me make up my mind.

Cheers,

Mark.

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

If it's not too much trouble, would you mind taking a pic of the contents please? I'm dithering about clicking the "buy" button, and that might just help me make up my mind.

Cheers,

Mark.

I will get it open once I’ve sorted the kids out to bed👍🏻

Thanks, Rob. It's much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark.

Something modelling related today.

20200102_192011

More Mosquitoes in the near future :D 

Sean

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

Thanks, Rob. It's much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark.

It’s great value for money! You can build the seafires or use a few of the other kits to build different models (e.g. mk vc as both bodies are supplied) they all come with resin exhausts and a little booklet, see below. Lovely detail on the kits but I imagine they won’t fall together.

qn0ehGM.jpg
DuMzICf.jpg

qEqTSLL.jpg

b00hpl7.jpg
4gE7SkQ.jpg

BrAOGSf.jpg
1O73nwJ.jpg

WGBK69Q.jpg
RwuUeRK.jpg

1NOhexy.jpg

1SQQ2Px.jpg
0ePYMBV.jpg

and a lovely big decal sheet!

M5cZkNs.jpg

Rob

A second Tamiya P-51D 1/72 for the stash:

130046-16797-21-pristine.jpg

Cheers

Jaime

21 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Oh, I don’t think that’s fair. As a kit, designed and made in the 1960s, it’s not that bad. If only the right set of drawings had been supplied to Haldane Place… 

You're right of course, the kit isn't really that bad, I think I was in grumpy old man mode when I made that post.  Mea culpa!  I remember that there was a resin corrected nose produced by someone many years ago, but never had one myself.  I am sure the new tool (!) will not need one.

5 minutes ago, 593jones said:

I remember that there was a resin corrected nose

So I understand. I took a few minutes to compare the fuselage, wing and tail feathers against scale drawings.

I think I'll just say there’s a lot wrong in many places. Much, much more than just the shape of the nose. 

I think my plan to simply build what’s in the box seems the simplest solution, although the Belgian variant might benefit from a little work on the radiator intake. I only mean these to be temporary shelf residents which will be ceremonially junked should a new kit come along. For that purpose, and to represent an unfairly much-maligned prototype, I think these old Airfix mouldings will do.

On 12/30/2019 at 8:41 PM, IanHx said:

Resistance was futile. I too have been assimilated by the Pixnor tweezer collective.....

Do you think somewhere in the Far East, there’s an executive puzzling over the surge in sales they’ve just experienced? 🙂

Craig. 

11 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Do you think somewhere in the Far East, there’s an executive puzzling over the surge in sales they’ve just experienced? 🙂

Craig. 

They're probably having a board meeting right now trying to work out what's going on....

4 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

They're probably having a board meeting right now trying to work out what's going on....

And how they can improve the sugar tongs as the cubes keep going ping!

From the bay, four little time capsules arrived today. I put in a bid on a job lot of Airfix Railway wagons and won. 

I want the sides/ends and odd bits for my Sci fi scratch builds. But... I opened the box and fell for their sheer age and condition.

Slightly rusty staples, slight creasing on the very old boxes and, I had to try, they even smell old! probably just the cardboard, but....

The detail on the plastic is lovely too. Very crisp. Just what I wanted but it seems a shame to use them! I'll try not too, I promise.

I also ordered some books by Mr Pratchett to complete my collection. Unseen Academicals arrived too.