This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhoenixII

What new stuff have you bought/been gifted? Part III

2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

though a few recent negs is another red flag

Have you looked through the neg feedback,i've noticed a few from buyers with sellers i buy from 'Good seller' 'Would deal with again' etc and for some strange reason leave it as negative and buyers that have low feedbacks and no patience....

Edited by Vince1159

Tamiya Neutral grey, Nato black, Ammo Luftwaffe late war colors, and an Eagle decal set that has the needed markings for late war Dora’s including Pips Priller's D9. Which will be used in my continuing Priller build. 

I saw this on a thread here 'somewhere' recently - so I hunted one out...

IMG-6539.jpg

IMG-6541.jpg

It simply slides on the top of my primer and pushes down on the nozzle - so completely reusable - again and again without clogging.

It's amazing how much more control four fingers on a trigger is than one finger on the nozzle itself.

To whoever posted a picture recently - THANK YOU - the best £8 I've spent in a long while.

Steve 

@BIG X

Thanks for posting the Can Gun 1 details Steve, I have just ordered one, it will take the strain out of using a rattle can with arthritic fingers. 

Cheers

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

I saw this on a thread here 'somewhere' recently - so I hunted one out...

IMG-6539.jpg

It simply slides on the top of my primer and pushes down on the nozzle - so completely reusable - again and again without clogging.

It's amazing how much more control four fingers on a trigger is than one finger on the nozzle itself.

Be careful when shaking the can prior to spraying that the trigger doesn’t twist round  and cover the nozzle  causing paint to squirt in all directions and drip onto the newly laid flooring when you let fly. Guess how I know to warn you about this 😞

Craig. 

Edited by Dandie Dinmont
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Have you looked through the neg feedback,i've noticed a few from buyers with sellers i buy from 'Good seller' 'Would deal with again' etc and for some strange reason leave it as negative and buyers that have low feedbacks and no patience....

My wife was contacted this week by a seller wanting to know why she had left negative feedback for a recent transaction despite leaving a very positive comment.

She was quite puzzled about this as she has only ever left negative feedback once and that was years ago after what was essentially a fraud so she got on to eBay and explained that she had left positive feedback for this latest seller  , had not got the 'are you sure you really want to do this' dialogue box that accompanies (or used to accompany) leaving negative feedback in case she had made the wrong choice accidentally and was not happy that this had happened.     Got an email back to say that they had changed it to positive but no explanation as to why it had shown as negative in the first place.

Yet another way in which eBay's 'perfect' system fails again.

21 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Been perked up, spotted a couple of items of interest on ebay at suspiciously low BIN prices, sellers has good feedback though a few recent negs is another red flag, but with paypals protection worth a punt. 

I'm always very suspicious of low BIN prices; one came to my attention recently, when in the suggested buys it showed a Kittyhawk 1/48 Su-34 Fullback for £18.46 (What!!!).  On looking at this sellers other kits, they included, amongst others, 1/350 Trumpeter HMS Hood for £15.62 and Tiger Models 1/35 Leopard ll Revolution ll at £14.72, all post free.  Curiously, when these kits are marked as sold out, they are sometimes relisted at full prices, then later at the lower prices again.  The seller, who is based in China, does  have positive feedback for some kits at the lower prices, but I have to say, I'm not convinced they are genuine.  It is interesting watching them, however.

2 hours ago, 593jones said:

, but I have to say, I'm not convinced they are genuine.  It is interesting watching them, however.

I have noticed the inconsistency with pricing but imagined it was a case of sellers picking up end-of-run factory bargains at their end and passing the benefits on to the customers.

As a result I have bought a small number of KittyHawk /Trumpeter/Hobby Boss kits direct from China for around half of the UK RRP including usually free or modest shipping and not been disappointed , nor have yet been picked out for duty and service charges which makes a big difference.

For these I have always used sellers with goodly feedback across the board and their only neutral/negative referring to delivery times as more often than not that can come down to unreasonable expectations on the part of the buyer , expect next month delivery rather than next day or next week.

i9jMcxt.jpg

2UQOWeE.jpg

just picked up the above from the great parabellum in Birmingham for a very good price... but I need to ‘forget’ about the barra as it’s being delivered by Santa!

Rob

An Italeri 1/72 A-26C. I've been after one for a while now, but kept getting outbid. This will be built as a TB-26C from the 7554th Target Tow Flight, based at Bentwaters.

18 hours ago, Des said:

I have noticed the inconsistency with pricing but imagined it was a case of sellers picking up end-of-run factory bargains at their end and passing the benefits on to the customers.

As a result I have bought a small number of KittyHawk /Trumpeter/Hobby Boss kits direct from China for around half of the UK RRP including usually free or modest shipping and not been disappointed , nor have yet been picked out for duty and service charges which makes a big difference.

For these I have always used sellers with goodly feedback across the board and their only neutral/negative referring to delivery times as more often than not that can come down to unreasonable expectations on the part of the buyer , expect next month delivery rather than next day or next week.

Maybe it's the Chinese equivalent of Home Bargains, but with better kits  :)  Maybe I should give them a shot, not too expensive and should be covered by Paypal.  That Fullback is very tempting!

OK folks, while finishing off the Christmas shopping today I popped into "The Works" to get a few items.

While perusing the shop I came across this.

IMG_1840

For £7.00, it just had to be purchased.

Simon.

Elementary Series 7 - The Final Series on DVD , watched 1-5 free on Amazon , paid for 6 and rather than wait to do the same once 7 becomes available bought 7 on DVD.

Morton's USAF Fighters - Service markings 1947 to Present.

Corgi Vanguards VA08607 1/43 Diecast Dunbartonshire Constabulary Jaguar XJ6 from eBay , seen them a couple of times pre-regionalisation when they strayed across the county boundary , ours had dayglo stripes along the sides they had theirs in parallel along the boot and roof then closing into a 'V' shape on the bonnet , very classy. 

On 07/12/2019 at 12:06, BIG X said:

To whoever posted a picture recently - THANK YOU - the best £8 I've spent in a long while.

Can you tell us where yu got yours from? Not Halfords, surely it can't be that easy !!

6 minutes ago, Whofan said:

Can you tell us where yu got yours from? Not Halfords, surely it can't be that easy !!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plasti-Dip-Universal-Aerosol-Spray/dp/B015ZQXJSI/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SMTXBS25SX69RJGN2DTJ

Halfords do them online - but I got mine from Amazon.  I don't think Halfords carry them in store - just online.

11 hours ago, BIG X said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plasti-Dip-Universal-Aerosol-Spray/dp/B015ZQXJSI/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SMTXBS25SX69RJGN2DTJ

Halfords do them online - but I got mine from Amazon.  I don't think Halfords carry them in store - just online.

That's great, many thanks. Who'd have thought Halfords would have them?

ordered one at Halfords for click and collect at my local store today. Job done! 

Edited by Whofan

Some tools and accessories. Not the sort of things I usually get excited about, but seeing as I've just sold a few kits on eBay, I thought I'd try out a few things I have been eyeing up for a while.

I bought two different packs of U-Star sanding pads, blocks, etc. I've always made my own before, but I could do with some ultra-fine ones and I'm also curious about whether there's any advantage to these purpose-built ones. I guess I'll find out!

I also bought two UMP decal solvents, these being the Strong and Careful, now! versions. I have quite a range of various decal solvents and have never really found a strong one that is worthy of the name. Again, we shall see.

Lastly, several 1/72 paint masks: a couple of Peewit masks for the KP P-51B, an Eduard mask for the Academy P-51B and a couple more Peewit masks for the Airfix Kate/Wildcat Dogfight Double I started years ago. I'm a fairly recent convert to die cut masks because, frankly, life's too short.

...and the Airfix Harrier that I got off eBay cheap arrived today and guess what? The clear sprue is missing. It's going back. That's three disputes I've had to do this month. For flip's sake!

Sellers: would it kill you to check the contents before you list them?

A real curiosity for me was purchased from a charity shop today.

I say curiosity because I had never known before Airfix made jigsaws, and when I saw this in the window of said charity shop I did actually have one of those moments where I couldn't actually work out what I was seeing.

it was a 1/48 boxing of an ME109, surely, but why did it say jigsaw?

So I went in and had a look at the box and indeed it is a jigsaw. Amazingly, still in the original shrink wrap, unopened. And there was another Me109 jigsaw there, too, and that was still in the original shrink wrapping!

Image1

I only bought the one though.

I did look them up afterwards and discovered to my real astonishment that Airfix had indeed made loads of such jigsaws. and even more amazing to me is the one I picked up is shown as a 2015 product!

Anyone got one of these jigsaws?

Edited by Whofan

Someone tipped me off that a book was available on the art and design of Bill Campbell, the man who did the artwork for Hawk Weird-Oh Kits, that inspired the manufacturers to make those plastic kits...................

photo-th.jpg

It's £25.99 here in the UK and $39.99 in the USA. There are 700 illustrations in this book. Some are of kits that are made and some that were too complex to make but the artwork is in there too.

Brilliant for those interested in Hawk kits. 192 pages all in colour.

Well, the chap who sold me the Harrier refunded the money and told me to keep the kit. Interestingly, he knew that the transparencies were missing: "I didn't think you'd need them"; but neglected to mention that in the description. I reckon he was banking on me not checking the kit right away. We're all going to do that now, right kids?

I just need to source a the requisite clear parts now.

I was watching a Fujimi UH-1N on eBay and the seller offered 25% off. I mean, what was I to do? I also decided to pull the trigger on an Airfix HH-53C that I'd also been watching because reasons.

Both will be finished as 67th ARRS machines.