Hansa Brandenburg D.1

Simon Cornes

Last week I saw on the Wingnut site kit no 32077 Hansa Brandenburg D.1 ? And today, in the new SAM, I see that Copper State are also doing a D.1. Is this an example of Wingnut trickery or are we going to get 2 kits of the same quirky machine. Personally I hope not!!

I think it’s a ruse by Wingnut to get us speculating! Good publicity! If CS do it - which they undoubtedly will. It will probably be about £10 cheaper than the Wingnut alternative but if it’s like the Nieuport then it wont have pilot holes for the rigging. Apart from that, Copper State do very well. I have learnt not to but a kit online - including postage - and then arrange to collect at Telford because they refused to refund me the postage I had already paid on the grounds that they brought it with them! What’s more they sold the Nieuport for £65 at Telford compared to over £70 on line. I took a broad view and bought a second one at the show but I felt a bit peeved! Yes, if WNW make it, they will sell more over the long term. But I’d rather they made a 504 or a 1 1/2 Strutter !!

7 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

There is a relatively new (around 2000) 1/72 Toko kit available for this one. 

I've that one in the stash, though it's the Eastern Express boxing.  Not familiar with the brand, but yeah flash throughout the parts.  Quick search netted a well informed summary of someone's build over at the Aerodrome:

"The building of the kit was not too bad. Fit was quite fine, the Part interior went in well after some thinning of fuselage walls. The struts were of the proper length except for the lower inner rear legs that required lengthening by some 1.5 mm. Their tips might have been better formed but after all they would do. There are however some missing important elements like the rear legs of cabane, all six stabilizer struts and a rear radiator pipe."

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39131

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackG said:

it's the Eastern Express boxing

I've built the EE/TOKO kit a couple of times and it builds into a neat little aircraft.  The only flaw is trying to figure out how the star struts fit, and they do.  Other than that, I neat kit of an odd little airplane.  Very Austrian.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 3:19 PM, JackG said:

It's an interesting subject if a fan of the Austro-Hungarian forces, or just like the weird/ugly stuff.  I'm more of the former, but would prefer 1/48 scale.

54a6e29707f0e6b35dd5684765d15f23.jpg

69446717_2451416461813765_87813034870078

69401955_2450141508607927_89655461078536

regards,

Jack

Special Hobby did at least a Phoenix D I in 1/48, also in "Marineflieger" (Naval) Version, from the time, when Austro-Hungarian forces still had a Navy. 😉

Somewhat basic, by no means to be compared with a WNW Kit,  but I coulnd't resist hence the topic. I was raised about a Kilometer away from the former Phoenix factory.
I have them both in my stash and will try if it can turn into a cute model. 

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

From the Copper State Facebook page, in answer to a question about the HB D.1:

'Not much happened, it is in our plans, just need some time, if all goes well we will have in 2024'

But, only in 1/32nd, which will suit a lot of people. Not me, but that's my problem. I have Toko and ancient Eduards to do in the meantime, and ever-dwindling display space.

Paul.

• Like 1