Project 613 (NATO "Whiskey III") Submarine

Pappy

G'day people,

I would like to join in with a sinker now that this has arrived in the mail today;

002_zpsrvpbcytc.jpg

003_zpsgsptqhly.jpg

The Indonesian Navy acquired twelve of these in 1952. At the time, the Indonesian government was on very good terms with the Soviets and the subs were supplied by the Soviets with generous technical and spares assistance. This relationship eventually cooled following a regime change and the generosity of the Soviets decreased as the leadership sought to normalise political relationships with the west.

The Indonesian Navy was able to maintain their fleet for some time, however, by the 1980's some of the subs were being cannibalised to maintain the remainder of the fleet. Three additional  Whiskey III submarines were also acquired  to act as a source of spares. The subject of this build will be KRI-410 "Pasopati" which served from 1952 until her decommissioning in 1994. She was then dismantled and relocated to Surabaya where she remains today and is now a public museum.

Although the kit is diminutive, an ample PE fret is included in addition to a small decal sheet. Most of the work will involve assembling the hull and the conning tower halves so it should go together in just a few evenings,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 5

You most certainly are welcome Pappy and with such a great subject too.

When I first saw the title I imagined your boat would be from the PLN or North Korea or possibly even a Soviet Pacific Fleet one but for it to be an Indonesian one makes it even more interesting! Thanks for the potted history of their Indonesian service too, it was all new to me.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this come together as it truly is something different.

Thanks Craig,

Well, off to a flying start.

The whole kit is only comprised of about twenty parts (not including the PE) so I have the hull together along with sail,

012_zpsddsnz5hl.jpg

013_zpsssiscg9h.jpg

The PE overlay for the upper deck covers one of the main seams so rapid progress can be made. I joined the sail at the same time as the hull halves so this was now attached to the hull and a few more PE bits representing the docking ring and escape hatches were added to the PE deck

010_zpsrjcxcyda.jpg

The aft dive planes and prop shaft fairings were also added to the aft hull. The fairings just needed a little filler to blend them into the hull. My references showed that bracing struts between the aft fairings and the outside of the aft dive planes were missing. A couple of short lengths of copper wire bent to shape were added

008_zpsgttnlp8l.jpg

Finally, the forward dive planes were attached.The kit mounting shafts are too short and would result in the dive planes sitting too far inside the hull recesses I cut the dive plane mouting hafts off and drilled a hole to accept a small length of steel tube and also drilled out thecorresponding locating hole and inserted a short length of tube to accept new dive plane mounts.

011_zpsta08batc.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 5

That is some very nice and extremely quick work Pappy.

She really has come together very quickly, and the PE looks really nice and has helped you along nicely by covering the seam on top of the hull. Great to see you adding details such as the bracing for the aft dive planes and correcting the stand out of the fore ones.

G'day people,

Thanks for all your comments, they are greatly appreciated. A little more progress today. I have added the railings to the top of the sail

006_zps9xx2pwzb.jpg

007_zps6a3rzrsc.jpg

If anyone is wondering about the speckly silver finish, I have just prayed some silver on the forward lower hull for the sonar antenna prior to masking in preparation for painting, more pics soon.

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Pappy said:

If anyone is wondering about the speckly silver finish, I have just prayed some silver on the forward lower hull for the sonar antenna

Awww and I thought you were going for that rare metal flake camouflage. 😉 J-K ... Actually I'm really looking forward to the finished product. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 2:47 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Awww and I thought you were going for that rare metal flake camouflage. 😉 J-K ... Actually I'm really looking forward to the finished product. 

LOL,

Well I managed to slip my tether and sneak out to the paint shop today. The main colours are on:

008_zpsgfpxd57c.jpg

007_zpsdtgep78m.jpg

006_zpsii8z5oun.jpg

004_zpsbedcrj8h.jpg

The step between the PE deck and the casing looks enormous under in the  macro images but it is not so stark when viewed normally honest! Hopefully I can get some decals and weathering done this weekend,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 6:19 PM, modelling minion said:

Any further progress on your excellent sub Pappy?

I would hate for you to miss the deadline as your build is so close to completion.

G'day Craig.

I just got back from a work trip last week so I have been beavering away as fast as I dare, it will be close but I just might make it over the line tomozz, noting that you lot are 11hours behind us so I also have that up my sleeve!

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:42 AM, modelling minion said:

Very well done Pappy, she looks excellent!

I really like the subtle weathering, very effective indeed.

Thanks for bringing such an unusual topic to the GB and helping us from being a nearly purely aviation GB, and for doing such a great job of the build.

G'day Craig,

Thank you very much for the kind words and also a big thank you for all your efforts as the GB host. Well done or should that be Bravo Zulu to keep things on a maritime theme!

Edited by Pappy
  • Thanks 1